Scroll Work

Decorating By shoup_family Updated 2 Apr 2007 , 5:56pm by summernoelle

shoup_family Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shoup_family Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 4:08am
post #1 of 13

I'm making my first wedding cake in 4 weeks. YAY! Well, hopefully yay. lol I want to put scroll work on the side but I want to do it so it looks really nice. How do you guys do it so it looks uniform and like my 3 year old didn't do it??

12 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 4:11am
post #2 of 13

I would use a scroll press and a VERY steady hand. My DD can scroll like crazy...me, not at all. LOL Good luck.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 4:11am
post #3 of 13

I would like an answer to this one too!!

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 4:13am
post #4 of 13

Depending on what you're wanting to do for scrollwork, Wilton has some scroll presses in different sizes that can be combined to make some really pretty and uniform scrolls. You just press them into the cake (lightly) and then "trace" them with your buttercream. Probably doing a search for "Wilton Design Press" will get you started online. Hope that helped.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 4:19am
post #5 of 13

Here's another vote for the scroll presses thumbs_up.gif

They look really nice...just remember what you learned in Wilton 1 about writing and you'll be fine.

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 4:25am
post #6 of 13

I think practice is key, but I am so new at this. The first time I tried doing any kind of scroll my hands were so shaky, it was really horrid. Right now I will only do them on cakes I'm keeping home; but I find each time I do it I find it gets a little easier, I become more confident and my hands shake less. Tonight I actually looked at a freehand my own design scroll and said "Wow, that's really pretty!" Then I sliced it right off and ate it. icon_confused.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 4:30am
post #7 of 13

What DID we learn in Wilton I about writing? Right off hand I can't remember. LOL

I love the look of scroll work I see on here. I want to do it soo bad. Really nice though. I'm getting some of the presses the next time I see them. I may buy both boxes since I couldn't decide between them last time.

And as for those of you out there who do such stinkin beautiful free hand scroll work!!!! UGH!! Well, I admire you and I'm jealous!! So there! But I'll be working on it. Ü

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 7:46am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

What DID we learn in Wilton I about writing? Right off hand I can't remember. LOL

Well, use thinner consistency frosting and remember to touch at the beginning and keep the tip above the frosting all the way around so it's not shaky-looking...bigger tips are easier to use...I guess that's about it.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 1:23pm
post #9 of 13

The next time I do scrolls, I'm going to make my own scroll presses out of cookie cutter metal so I can have a variety of shapes.

BaltimoreCoutureCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BaltimoreCoutureCakes Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 4:00pm
post #10 of 13

On The Challenge one of the bakers put a stencil on the sides of the cake and iced royal icing on the cake and then pulled the stencil off and low and behold scroll work. For not so steady hands like mine this would works great. I'm trying with sample wedding cakes tonite. Fingers crossed. Not sure if this would work with BC.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 4:44pm
post #11 of 13

I saw the Challenge where the lady used the stencil, too. It looked pretty on TV, but do you guys think that would look as good in person? I am terrible at scrolling, so I am just wondering... icon_rolleyes.gif
On a different note, here is a scroll press I just found-pretty! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0008DI9XY/?tag=cakecentral-20

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 5:04pm
post #12 of 13

I did scrolls on a wedding cake recently (in my pics) and used the press patterns from Wilton out of the two different pattern press sets. I used the small, medium and large C scrolls and vine scroll out of this set: http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30D882-475A-BAC0-5D0833D2D8DFB041&fid=3E32BD9D-475A-BAC0-52F239128C2DA736 and then used the S scroll out of this set: http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30D891-475A-BAC0-51DF77778B7B0CDF&fid=3E32BDAD-475A-BAC0-5EF8EA589AD96C4F. Then I just added my own embellishements to it. Definited use a thin icing and adding piping gel does help.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 5:56pm
post #13 of 13

Do you use royal icing, and if you do, what consistency is it, and how much piping gel do you use?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%