Help! How Do I Prevent This Bulge Next Time???

Decorating By mareg Updated 2 Apr 2007 , 3:26am by peacockplace

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 16

How do you prevent this bulge. I let the cake rest after I filled it and crumbcoated. Then after I iced it it was bulging so I took a hot spatula and tried to get rid of it. No luck.

edit: It went back and looked at the other pics. I have about 6 hours earlier and its not that bad. It got worse as the night went on!
LL

15 replies
rockymtnbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockymtnbaker Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 16

Probably a little too much filling; usually if you let the cake sit for a while, it settles enough to not have a bulge...unless you use too much filling. It looks great, though!

mareg Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 16

It looks like the dam is trying to poke out. I wonder if i put it too close to edge? How far in do you go? I didn't put it right on the edge. Prob. about 1/4 inch in.

crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 3:24pm
post #4 of 16

I usually put the dam in abit so it can expand from the weight of the top layer. I figure it is easier to fill in any extra room around the edge with frosting then to push in a dam like this.

mareg Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 16

How far in?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 3:37pm
post #6 of 16

What I have learned to do after a few bulging cakes icon_mad.gif is set a fairly heavy flat pan ontop of the cake after you fill it.The weight will force the excess filling out.Wipe around the cake and then ice it!!

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 16

Kiddie,

What a great tip! I have recently been having the "bulging" problem, too. Thanks for the tip!

Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 3:54pm
post #8 of 16

Anytime!!!icon_smile.gif

mareg Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 4:13pm
post #9 of 16

Kiddiekakes! That is a great idea. How long to you set the pan on it? Do you let it rest there for a while? I will do this next time!

tawnyachilders Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tawnyachilders Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 5:35pm
post #10 of 16

hi

I have had the bulge problem lately, I have started doing what Kiddiekakes suggested, but I leave the weight on for a little while, like an hour or so.

Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 6:19pm
post #11 of 16

I put it in the fridge while I am doing other parts of the cakes etc..about 45 minutes.Then I wipe away the excess filling that has oozed out and ice it.

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 6:25pm
post #12 of 16

"Kiddiekakes"...great tip about the pan! I am definitely using that one! icon_smile.gif

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 6:29pm
post #13 of 16

Ok, I have had this problem for the longest time. Nothing, and I mean nothing, had worked. I finally came up with my own means for battling the bulge (and not the one around my waist).

I make the wilton 50/50 icing, but I only put in one tablespoon of milk, instead of two. And I only beat it for one minute in the mixer.

It forms a buttercream "paste" that is thick. It is still tasty and soft to eat, but it will not bulge under the weight of the cake.

I make the icing dam from the paste, and then I do a crumb coat with the paste. I do a second crumb coat with regular buttercream, and then I frost in fondant or buttercream. Ne'er a problem since.

This is the only thing that has ever worked for me. Hope that helps!
Ellen

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 6:29pm
post #14 of 16

Hey Kiddiekakes--
that's a great idea, thanks for the tip!

Hmmmm--do you think that would work for MY bulge around my middle???? LOL!!!

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 1:51am
post #15 of 16

Hmmm... the pan on top of the cake is a great idea! I am going to have to try it because I have the mysterious overnite bulge thing going on too.
Fondant looks great when I go to bed and when I get up it looks like the Michelon man. lol

Thanks for the tip! icon_smile.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 3:26am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellepal

Ok, I have had this problem for the longest time. Nothing, and I mean nothing, had worked. I finally came up with my own means for battling the bulge (and not the one around my waist).

I make the wilton 50/50 icing, but I only put in one tablespoon of milk, instead of two. And I only beat it for one minute in the mixer.

It forms a buttercream "paste" that is thick. It is still tasty and soft to eat, but it will not bulge under the weight of the cake.

I make the icing dam from the paste, and then I do a crumb coat with the paste. I do a second crumb coat with regular buttercream, and then I frost in fondant or buttercream. Ne'er a problem since.

This is the only thing that has ever worked for me. Hope that helps!
Ellen

Great idea! thumbs_up.gif Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%