10" + Square Pans

Decorating By Sugarbunz Updated 1 Apr 2007 , 6:20pm by stikykitty

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 4:27am
post #1 of 12

I usually have no problem with the baking part of making cakes (it's the decorating that defies me!); and for some reason, when I make cake in my 10" Magic Line square pan I have major issues with the center falling. Normally, I have issue with it rising, which is ok, because I like to have a bit of the top to taste to ensure quality (and I enjoy seeing inches added to my hips icon_confused.gif ). I have tried overbaking and underbaking with the same results. I do drop my pans and level the batter so I'm not sure what's happening. I know it has to do with size because I have no problem with the 6 and 8" versions of the same pan. What gives?

11 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 4:32am
post #2 of 12

I use baking strips, which are not solely to prevent doming, but helps even-out the baking process. I also reduce the heat from 350 to 325. Make sure your rack is in the center of a conventional oven.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 4:35am
post #3 of 12

are you using a heating core or a flower nail so the middle cooks the same as the sides?

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 4:36am
post #4 of 12

same as indydebi, bake even strips, 325, center rack and metal flower nail or baking core in the middle

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 4:41am
post #5 of 12

Do you use a heating core or a flower nail? I believe that it is recommended for 10 inch and above square pans. The surface area of a 10 inch square is almost as big as a 12 inch round. Those square pans hold more cake than you would think.

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 4:56am
post #6 of 12

I'll try the flower nail, because everything else is a-ok. I just get nervous using those things as they rust easy and I'm too cheap to buy a heating core. icon_razz.gif

melysa Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 5:11am
post #7 of 12

use a large metal icing tip icon_smile.gif

mannjc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mannjc Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 5:54am
post #8 of 12

I have a similar question....it's my first time baking a 16" round...do you suggest a core or flower nail for even baking?

melysa Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 7:10am
post #9 of 12

a core is thicker so you'll have better luck, but if all you have is a flower nail, place several of them in the pan since it is so big and it will help.

ksaunders Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksaunders Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 5:59pm
post #10 of 12

I have a 12 and 16 can you tell me how to use the heating core please.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 6:15pm
post #11 of 12

For the heating core - you will need to treat it as you do your pan if you use pan grease, Pam or whatever (be sure to treat the inside as well). Put some of your batter inside the core then place it in the center of you pan and fill as usual. After the cake is baked I immediately take my core out and put it into the hole in my cake and let them cool together. Before you flip you cake out of the pan just level off the core.
HTH
Melissa

stikykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stikykitty Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 6:20pm
post #12 of 12

Theres a list online that tells you probable solutions for baking online thought it may help. icon_razz.gif
Coarse grain & sunken center
Oven too cold (baked too slowly). Preheat oven for about 20 minutes.
Sugar and fat under-creamed. Follow my Creaming Steps.
Batter undermixed
Too much baking powder.
Not enough liquid
Too much flour
Used all-purpose flour instead of cake flour.
Careless or poor depositing in the pans. icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%