Fed Ex (Cake Killers!!!)

Decorating By msauer Updated 6 Nov 2013 , 9:37pm by howsweet

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 2:48am
post #1 of 48

So, my cousin BEGGED me to ship her a cake (from OH to PA) for her DD's 11th BD. I have had several people inquire if I ship and I have always said no, but I'd been thinking..."Hey...if those mail order catalogs can do it...why can't I?"

This is why....look what Fed Ex did to the cake!!!! YIKES!!! The shipper told me ahead of time that they can't guarantee the contents and refuse to sell me insurance, but they graciously took my $93.00!!!!!

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

There's a picture of the pre-shipped cake in my photos to use as a reference.

Any tips for the future (besides...yeah...don't ship any cake? LOL!!!)
LL

47 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 2:54am
post #2 of 48

OMG!!! I am soo sorry that happened! Do you have proof they wouldn't sell you insurance!? They are suppose to have it available for you! That is cruddy and I would write the company!

So sorry she could not have her cake! icon_sad.gif It was very nice! icon_smile.gif

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 2:54am
post #3 of 48

Oh that is so sad!! You know marking stuff "fragile" now days must mean to them to toss the box across the delivery truck or turn it upside down then drop it ... I'm so sorry your cake had that happen to it icon_sad.gif

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 2:54am
post #4 of 48

Was this frosted in buttercream?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 2:58am
post #5 of 48

Oh, Michelle---what can I say, except drive next time icon_cry.gif

That's a real tragedy--and I can't believe they had the nerve to charge you $93 !!!! What a supreme rip-off.

I know that when Colette ships cakes she uses the shipping division of Continental Airlines. She claims that her cakes are hand carried to the belly of the plane and carried off again. The client has to pick it up at the airport, if I remember correctly.

I don't know if the USPS overnight would be any better......

Bravo for trying, anyway.
Rae

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 2:58am
post #6 of 48

I believe the mail order cakes come tightly packed in a tin or box so they can't shift....

My mom fed ex'd me a pineapple upside down cake for my 21st birthday...cost a fortune....was ripped to shredds...but tasted FANTASTIC!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 2:58am
post #7 of 48

Wow! That's incredible! How was it wrapped and what kind of packing material did you use?

Yetts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yetts Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 2:58am
post #8 of 48

OMG!!!! icon_mad.gif They didn't handle with care!!!! icon_evil.gif I would liked to get more money but at least you got something. I hope the young person understood that you didn't do this on purpose. I hope you used some choice words with them. tapedshut.gif

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 2:58am
post #9 of 48

Nevermind, I saw your photo album and that you did use fondant. It looked great before the shipping!!

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 2:59am
post #10 of 48

Some of those mail box places in the malls do shipping. I think they freeze the stuff pack in styrofoam container and they seem to arrive ok. I wish I could remember the name, which they may not even have in ohio.

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 3:00am
post #11 of 48

I am so sorry this happened. I can't believe they wouldn't sell you insurance. It kind of looks like someone was eating it..

angelcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakesmom Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 3:06am
post #12 of 48

Oh my, I'm so sorry! It was a beautiful cake before they got their hands on it! icon_cry.gif If I was her, I would have been licking the sides of that box, cuz it looked yummy! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 3:06am
post #13 of 48

How AWFUL!!!! I can't believe how destroyed the cake was after it arrived!!! icon_mad.gificon_evil.gif Did you contact Fed Ex to let them know how upset you were? That seems completely unacceptable to me. You should at least get some of your money refunded. The cake was fantastic before you shipped it! All of that hard work ... icon_cry.gif

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 3:11am
post #14 of 48

[quote="step0nmi"]OMG!!! I am soo sorry that happened! Do you have proof they wouldn't sell you insurance!? They are suppose to have it available for you! That is cruddy and I would write the company!]

Like Step0nmi, I wonder if you could call the company and inquire about it. Have you checked their web site?

The shoe looked great, it's really too bad, did your niece at least like the shoe picture?

Also just a question to put out there. because I have had problems with marble cakes before (ok, I am new at using mixes and the 1st time was really self inflicted as I used a white butter mix and a chocolate oil mix check my posts and got a lot of crumbs).
But in general are marble cakes not as sturdy as just white or chocolate cakes. I am too new at using mixes and I dont know if you used one yourself.
I have read posts that swear both ways either on mix or from scratch.

I would love to know how to ship cakes as well, because my family is on the cost and I ship cookies and chocolates, but I would love to send a cake. I know many restaurants ship cheesecakes and other items via fedex, so why would this cake get it!

Again so sorry for the poor delivery.

It was a great cake!

Lejla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lejla Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 3:18am
post #15 of 48

Holly cow!!!!! What a heck did they do with it.Played socer with a box.Amazing!!! Urghhhhh,dosen't that make you wanna make somebody pay for it.I can't beleve it they charged you almost hundred bucks for shipping.And for what?
Unbelivable!!!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 3:29am
post #16 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmcmulle

I am so sorry this happened. I can't believe they wouldn't sell you insurance. It kind of looks like someone was eating it..

i feel so bad for laughing at this comment since it was so horribly ruined, but its true...does look like someone was digging in!

msaur, so sorry! just out of curiosity as well, how was it packaged? i shipped a cake a couple of months ago with usps and had perfect results. i used a sturdy scratch cake, bc and then fondant. i stuck it to the board w/ bc, then loosely wrapped in plastic. then bubble wrapped it like it was going out of style. i made sure the ENTIRE box was full to the brim with bubble wrap, top , bottom and both sides. then placed pointless (lol) fragile and this side up stickers alll over the box. i used the usps flat rate priority box (8.10) and it arrived in two days, in perfect condition. (be sure to use fillings that dont have to be refrigerated). it is the "meilani" cake in my photos= i did it simple in case it was smashed to smitherines, but since i had good results, i will definately do it again, in fact, i plan on sending my sister a pink giraffe in may- at her sarcastic request...she didnt think i'd agree! once again, sorry, that cake rocked... next time (def. try again!) remember that bubble wrap is your best bet.

lexidus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lexidus Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 3:29am
post #17 of 48

I work in shipping and unfortunatley they have every right to refuse insurance for many different types of packages. They have very detailed descriptions of what is insurable and what is not (nothing of cash value, jewelry, cash, bonds, ect.)

It is horrible what happened to the cake, but like the Fex Ex man you talked to said, they cannnot guarantee it will arrive safely. I have been in the depots of other large carriers in Canada and the US, and was appalled at how they handle the packages (literally throwing them through the air to each other or onto the rollers.) I have also experienced customers who disregarded my warning that baked goods would not arrive in good condition and then compained about the way it arrived, and unfortunately it is just what happens.

At least you learned the hard way with family instead of a paying customer.

Sorry this happened to you!

Sunshine93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine93 Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 3:33am
post #18 of 48

OMG!!! I'm so sorry!!! It was a great looking cake!

JenniferL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferL Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 3:35am
post #19 of 48

Wow! icon_eek.gif It took a lot of effort by FedEx to mess your cake up that bad! icon_lol.gif It is always a pain to try and deal with shipping companies. They have a million loop holes, but it's worth trying to get some compensation.

melysa Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 3:39am
post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferL

Wow! icon_eek.gif It took a lot of effort by FedEx to mess your cake up that bad! .

not necessarily...if it wasnt contained well (ie: TONS of bubble wrap so it couldnt shift even if turned upside down) in the package, it wouldnt take alot to do that to a cake.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 3:55am
post #21 of 48

That is awful, I am so sorry that happened to you.

No offense, I often wondered why someone would ship a cake. The odds is that it would never make it.

CakeMakeN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakeN Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 4:00am
post #22 of 48

I am so sorry this happened with your cake. You did a fantastic job with it. We shipped cakes twice within the past 2 years and have had wonderful results with both. The first timewe shipped a cake...it was just the cake layers undecorated from AL to CA,we used DHL. We shipped it overnight and it arrived in perfect condition the next afternoon. The second time we shipped a decorated cake again to CA and used UPS. It was delivered in 3 days, again in perfect condition. They offered us insurance, but we did not take it. It did cost us a little more then expected, but well worth it. The couple who received it were celebrating their anniversary and it arrived just in time. Apparently FEDEX is not the way to go. I hope this experience doesn't keep you from trying to ship a cake again, just try a different carrier.

Again, I am sorry this happened to your cake.

melysa Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 5:09am
post #23 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMakeN

I am so sorry this happened with your cake. You did a fantastic job with it. We shipped cakes twice within the past 2 years and have had wonderful results with both. The first timewe shipped a cake...it was just the cake layers undecorated from AL to CA,we used DHL. We shipped it overnight and it arrived in perfect condition the next afternoon. The second time we shipped a decorated cake again to CA and used UPS. It was delivered in 3 days, again in perfect condition. They offered us insurance, but we did not take it. It did cost us a little more then expected, but well worth it. The couple who received it were celebrating their anniversary and it arrived just in time. Apparently FEDEX is not the way to go. I hope this experience doesn't keep you from trying to ship a cake again, just try a different carrier.

Again, I am sorry this happened to your cake.

how did you package yours? i dont know why people are so nervous about shipping them if they are packaged well. mine arrived perfectly .

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 1:01pm
post #24 of 48

Okay...someone asked "why" would I ship a cake...quite simply because my cousin asked (and I know that other people do). My family thinks my cakes are amazing icon_redface.gif , but I know that I am no Mike McCarey (so please...don't tell them about all the other decorators around the country who are far better than little old me icon_wink.gif )

When I packed it, I just kind of winged it the best I could. I had started a thread about shipping cakes and didn't get a whole lot to go on, so I did my best. Believe me...we all went into this expecting the worst. I had a feeling it may not make it, so I am not really looking at FedEx for any kind of compensation. When my cousin emailed me the picture of the cake, my first reaction was "Wow...didn't think it would be THAT BAD!"

So, I did the cake on a small shoe shaped board. I iced the cake to the board and the board to the cake drum. I nailed two dowels to secure all of it to the drum (you can see one of them rolling around at the bottom of the picture. I put this inside a bakery box and wrapped very well. This box was placed inside another box by the people at Pak Mail. "Peanuts" were used on all sides inside the shipping box. Orientation marks were put all over the outside of the box.

I thought about (but didn't) saran wrap the cake and the board together bc I was afraid it would smash the cake- guess that was the least of my worries, huh?

I certainly will take all that I have learned from all of you (esp melysa) and try again in the future. I just wanted to share my experience with all of you and even though a smashed up cake isn't funny...you have to laugh and shake it off! I know my story isn't as bad as some others!!!

Keep the shipping tips coming!!!!!! Thanks for being supportive!

-Michelle

melysa Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 10:12pm
post #25 of 48

hi michelle, well i think the dowels and peanuts were a good start anyway! i think the issue must have been that there was nothing inside the cake box to cushion the cake so it wouldnt move. i think that in the future if you try it again, ( please do!) that bubble wrap would be better than peanuts though, because it doesnt move. an objects weight can cause it to move and make its way around to a different area of the package, but bubble wrap would just keep it put. and always make sure that if you put the cake in a box, it needs bubble wrap inside the box too! try another one, just made simply with a cover of fondant and package well, mail it to your niece, and see how it goes. i am sure it will make her day! maybe this time, you could stencil, paint or glue on a fondant cut out of her shoe icon_smile.gif

qtcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtcakes Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 10:48pm
post #26 of 48

for 93.00 what did they promise about the delivery? they obviously charged you more, was it for special handleing that they didnt do?

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 11:02pm
post #27 of 48

I'm so sorry about your cake. It really was beautiful before you shipped it. I'm glad I just read this thread I have been looking all day for ways to ship non decorated cakes, pies and cheesecakes. I've been checking ebay and they have people on there that are making cakes and selling them. I've been thinking of ordering one just to see how they package it, how it arrives and what carrier they use.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:48am
post #28 of 48

Wow! Looks like they tried to see how badly they could destroy it!

kms2402 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kms2402 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 3:01am
post #29 of 48

I have never shipped a cake but have always had trouble with FedEx. Sorry...I agree....you should write the company. Better luck next time!

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 3:08am
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I know that when Colette ships cakes she uses the shipping division of Continental Airlines. She claims that her cakes are hand carried to the belly of the plane and carried off again. The client has to pick it up at the airport, if I remember correctly.

Not to sound mean, and NO offense to msauer, but I'm pretty sure someone like us isn't going to get the same treatment out of Continental Airlines that Colette Peters does. She's on TV for heavens sake. I can just see it now - I walk into Continental and say - I need to ship this cake, can you walk it out to the plane for me? And make sure nothing happens to it. HA they'd laugh me right back to the parking lot.

There was an old TV commercial once for Mailboxes Etc. that had some little old lady who ships trays of Xmas cookies every year, and they make sure the cookies are packaged so perfectly none gets broken. So I inquired at our local MBE and you know what - it's not really possible. The guy said every once in a while you'll get lucky but for the most part things like that get messed up.

I'm really sorry this happened to your cake. It was really nice before FedEx got their hands on it. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%