My Buttercream Tips

Decorating By sugarshack Updated 16 Mar 2014 , 2:50pm by loviescakes

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 5:05pm
post #121 of 575

I have the KA classic 4 1/2 qt stand mixer and did a little experiment with Sugarshacks tips. She suggests filling the bowl to the rim, and also using an all shortening bc recipe. I personally like the 1/2 and 1/2 Wilton recipe. I used 4 sticks of butter (2 cups) and 2 cups of hi ratio shortening, with 4 tsp of flavoring, 4 pounds of powdered sugar, and some vanilla flavored coffee creamer for the liquid. I didn't measure, so I'm not sure how much. First I have to say this all fit in my mixer without a problem. I have the KA plastic shield to put on my mixing bowl and it worked great. I didn't even need the towl. Second, I was VERY skeptical about mixing the frosting on speed 6 for 6-10 minutes icon_confused.gif . I usually mix on low for only 4 and get air bubbles ALLLLLLLL the time. As Sugarshack said, because you are filling the bowl to the rim, you are not allowing air in. IT WORKED, I was SHOCKED icon_eek.gif I had the smoothest icing I have EVER made!! Here's where I ran into problems though. I didn't measure my liquid, so I had to keep stopping, lifting the mixer head, and checking. I also was checking for taste and found this recipe EXTREMELY sweet. Keep in mind I don't think MMF is too sweet. So I thought, what the heck I'll mix another 3 mins., then another. Well, I got air bubbles at that point and it was still way too sweet. Unusable sweet. I am sure it was because I kept stopping, lifting the mixer head, adding liquid, and I mixed an additional 6 minutes. I am going to try again today, this time not using the vanilla coffee creamer (has sugar in it) and adding an additional stick of butter and an additional 1/2 cup of shortening. This should take care of the too sweet problem. I'm also going to add all my liquid at the beginning before mixing on speed 6 for 6 minutes. I'm sure that will take care of the air bubble problem.

Anyway, sorry this was so long, but I wanted to share my experiment in the 4 1/2 qt KA with you all. icon_smile.gif

JulesM7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulesM7 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 12:17pm
post #122 of 575

OMG! Sugarshack, I just realized that you are the one who did my co-worker's wedding shower cake - the choc. bow with fleur de lis accents. We all loved it so much! That was before I got into decorating. I just visited your site after reading this thread and realized I had seen those cakes before. Small world!!! I am in Mandeville as well. I have gotten into doing cakes for fun for my family and friends - no time to make them to sell as I am a full time teacher at KFN.
Would you be willing to share where you get the flavoring mix you use??? If not, I completely understand!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 7:40pm
post #123 of 575

Hi JUles!!

What a small world; too too funny!

What is KFN?

The mixture is called wedding bouquet; sold at B&B cakes and supplies in Hammond. Ms Sandra is just a sweet lady with a little shop; she mixes and sells the stuff....OMG it is liquid gold!!!!

JulesM7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulesM7 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 12:23am
post #124 of 575

Sugarshack, KFN is Kehoe-France Northshore. I saw on your site that you did a great Kehoe cake - must have been for 7th grade grad.
I didn't even know there was a cake supply store in Hammond, but I can't wait to go now. I want to try the wedding bouquet flavoring. Thanks for sharing thumbs_up.gif

sugarshack Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:51am
post #125 of 575

Oh yes! I have done a few cakes for teachers there and I went to nursing school with Mark and Bonnie Keop!( sp on the last name)

you will LOVE the wedding bousquet!

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 2:12am
post #126 of 575

I just finished looking at your website. Your cakes are breathtaking. I have a few questions: Where do you buy Sweetex? Does it crust like Crisco? What method do you use to make your roses? I have trouble making real looking roses using the Wilton method and always wonder what method other people use when I see flowers that look real. Thanks.

sugarshack Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 9:07pm
post #127 of 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerbuckeye

I just finished looking at your website. Your cakes are breathtaking. I have a few questions: Where do you buy Sweetex? Does it crust like Crisco? What method do you use to make your roses? I have trouble making real looking roses using the Wilton method and always wonder what method other people use when I see flowers that look real. Thanks.

I buy it online and it is expensive, but I will use nothign esle. yes it does crust.

I make the roses from GP using a method by Jenifer Dontz; she teaches classes. www.sugardelites.com

LickDaBowl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LickDaBowl Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 9:53pm
post #128 of 575

WOW! This thread was like a mini-class! Thanks everyone!

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 1:52am
post #129 of 575

sugarshack,

WOW icon_eek.gif I just checked out your gallery. Please tell me it took you years and years and years and years to hone that kind of talent thumbs_up.gif

DesignerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerCakes Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 8:59pm
post #130 of 575

Wow! What a great recipe for buttercream! I tried it today after reading this post this morning. I took a few pictures of my mess, in case there are other visual people out there like me. I'm really anal when it comes to cleaning up as I go along, so seeing all this mess on the mixer and the counter was hard, but the results far outweight the mess any day!

I taped paper towels around the mixer, but quickly realized I needed something heavier, so I added a kitchen towel. The batch of frosting is really big, and it definitely went up over the edge of the bowl. Having the pouring spout really helped. It took awhile to add all the sugar to the bowl and this was probably the most time consuming step. When I added the liquid, I fogot to lower the speed and it splashed up onto the mixer head and also out underneath the bowl. I just added a little more liquid to make up for that.

Oh, and I used Alpine Hi-Ratio Shortening since I have a 50 lb. box that I just purchased. It worked beautifully! Since I don't have the specific flavorings used in the recipe, I added four tablespoons of vanilla instead. Since this was a test, I figured I would see if that worked, and it did.
LL

DesignerCakes Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 9:01pm
post #131 of 575

Overflowing bowl...
LL

DesignerCakes Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 9:03pm
post #132 of 575

Perfect texture - and absolutely DELICIOUS! I did add 1.5 teaspoons of salt. It worked beautifully.
LL

jstump Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstump Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 11:47pm
post #133 of 575

Thanks for the tips! Being new to cake decorating I love getting new tips on decorating. Your cakes look great! Nice to see someone else from LA on here! icon_lol.gif

sugarshack Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 5:19am
post #134 of 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoboda

Sharon I have another question for you. Can your icing be used under fondant if a cake is not going to be refrigerated for about 10 hours?? I'm making my first wedding cake for friends later this month & was going to use WBH BC but have now found out that it won't hold up under the fondant. Will yours??

I have lost track of this thread so sorry for the delay in answering.

Yes this icing can stay out for days or weeks if need be in cool room temp. works great under fondant.

sugarshack Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 5:20am
post #135 of 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

One question - do you put all ingredients in the bowl and mix? I'm used to creaming crisco & extracts, then alternating powdered sugar and liquid...

i cream the shortening and liquid first till smooth ( liquid is hot) and then add PS and let her rip.

sugarshack Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 5:21am
post #136 of 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by christeena

Welocme, Sugarshack! Thanks for your willingness to share your talent! I know that as a newbie I sure appreciate it and have learned tons from you!! My question is this: Will the liquid coffee-mate creamers or the International Coffee creamers work just as well as you 1 cup powder to 1 cup water? Thanks!

I have never tried it but I do not see why not. icon_biggrin.gif

sugarshack Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 5:22am
post #137 of 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlaw78

Sorry for the stupid question but what is a bench scraper and where do you get one? I am going to try all these tips on my next cake

its a pie dough scraper. a about six inch rectangle......

sugarshack Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 5:23am
post #138 of 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameon58

Extreme newbie here. I've read a lot of posts that talk about the use of coffee creamer. Can anyone tell me the purpose of using this? Is it to help with crusting or to use in lieu of milk? Do you use just plain and not the flavors?

it keeps the liquids emulsified better with the fats and prevents icing weirdness like wrinkling, rippling, and helps with blow outs. I use plain and add my own flavors

sugarshack Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 5:24am
post #139 of 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaLlama

To save time, I was going to make this recipe(sugarshack buttercream) today to ice a cake on Friday. Do I just leave it out, and remix on Friday? Will it turn out the same?

should be fine; i mix my wedding bc a few days early.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 3:36pm
post #140 of 575

I love decorating cakes and learned via Wilton so all I know is their way of doing the buttercream. Didn't know anything about the different kinds of shortening (Alpine, Sweetex). Thanks for opening my eyes and for sharing your techniques, recipe, and tricks!!!

I know I most definitely appreciate it! I love your cakes and had already had a couple of yours saved to try and works towards being able to create.

Thank you again!! Most generous of you!!! icon_smile.gif

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 1:36pm
post #141 of 575

Thanks for the great tips SugarShack!

sugarshack Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 1:24am
post #142 of 575

my pleasure

Dee1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee1219 Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 3:11am
post #143 of 575

Where does one find sweetex? Costco?

sugarshack Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 3:13am
post #144 of 575

i have to order mine online; bust suuply places like sysco might have it.

pstaylor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pstaylor5 Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 3:59am
post #145 of 575

can't wait to try it

chaniliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaniliz Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 4:43pm
post #146 of 575

I made Sugar Shack Icing and I love it. I made afew changes by necessity. Mix HR with Crisco added 1/2 tps salt and 1 tsp butter flavor with the cream bouquet. Oh I made half the recipe but the BC came out so smooth like the non dairy and not to sweet. Easy to spread and a nice crust.
Thank you Sharon this one is a keeper.
Lizzie

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 6:49pm
post #147 of 575

Ok can anybody post the true amount of liquid that you need in this recipe...like I know it is 1 cup of powdered reg. coffee creamer to 1 cup of hot water....but how much do you end up using in the recipe? Also do you have to use High Ratio shortening and can I do 1/2 butter flavoring and 1/2 vanilla? Thanks a lot icon_smile.gif

Oh yeah since a reg. crusting BC recipe calls for either a teaspoon or two of extracts does this mean for a big batch of bc like this one do you use 5 teaspoons?

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 8:56pm
post #148 of 575

Wgoat5, I make the coffee mate mixture and use about 10 tablespoons or less for 1/2 a recipe & around 20 tablespoons or less for the full recipe, it mostly depends on how thick I need or want the icing to be.

As far as flavorings for me....I use 2 teaspoons butter and 1 french vanilla in a 1/2 recipe, and everyone loves the taste (I double this for a full recipe). I like playing around with the butter, french vanilla flavorings....sometimes I'll add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring also with the butter and french vanilla. I think it has a lot to do with what your taste is and what mix of flavors you like, this way just happens to work for me.
I want to try the Creme Bouquet Extract that I have seen so many here speak of.

I don't know about using any other type of shortening, I only use hi-ratio in this recipe.

Since trying Sugarshacks Icing, my family won't let me change, I do use it as my main icing. I have also use it as my base under some RBC icing on some cupcakes I just made, and everyone love the two together.

Would like to say a big Thank You to Sugarshack for posting her recipe, I love it!

Hope this helps you out some wgoat5,
Sharon

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 10:12pm
post #149 of 575

grannys3angels I couldn't find french vanilla, but I just ordered the creme bouquet and the high ratio shortening.....

So now my question is HOW DO I USE (oops) the creme bouquet now that I have ordered it ???

Thanks Granny icon_smile.gif

sirius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sirius Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 10:51pm
post #150 of 575

welcome to cc sharon, and i'll add my voice to the chorus of thanks for all your tips! your work is wonderful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%