Covering Cakes With Fondant/gettingit Wrinkle Free

Decorating By ladyonzlake Updated 3 Apr 2007 , 2:29pm by ladyonzlake

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 13

How the heck do you do it? I made a wedding cake and although the picture looks great I had wrinkles at the bottom of it. I just made a sample cake and same thing. I have another wedding to do and it's gonna be a huge cake and I want my fondant flawless. I ice in IMBC and then cover it with fondant (SatinIce). Help!!
Jacqui

12 replies
notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 13

here's a bump for you

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 13

There's an excellent tutorial on AtecoUSA.com, give that a look.

Panda-monium Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panda-monium Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 13

Try not to roll the fondant too thin. Move it using your rolling pin and position it centrally on the cake. I gently smooth the fondant down with my hands, trying not to put any pressure on the corners as it can tear. I then use my plastic smoother to give the fondant a smoother finish and to remove any small imperfections.

Hope this helps. As with everything practice makes perfect (or at least you learn how to hide the imperfections only we see).

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 9:33pm
post #5 of 13

If you go to my blogspot www.extra-icing.blogspot.com and look down the right hand side for free tutorials you will find one on covering a round cake and cake board. It may help you a little if not a lot. thumbs_up.gif

ladyonzlake Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks everyone. I checked out those sites and I see what I may be doing wrong...sliding my hands from side to side instead of up and down. I will need to do some practicing!
Jacqui

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 13

I had exactly the same problem for the longest time, until I realized that rolling out the fondant thick enough is really important.

Then, most of all, as you are working the fondant downward, pull the edges out. Don't let them touch the bottom of the cake until the top is adhered. Then work downward.

The wrinkles get there because the bottom of the cake gets the fondant without the top and middle sections of the cake being adhered first.
Does that make sense??

DEFINITELY slide your hands from side to side.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 4:24pm
post #8 of 13

wow Lorraine I just saw your tutorial on covering a cake with fondant. It is excellent how do you find time for that!!! I learned so much from watching thanks

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 4:26pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aine2

If you go to my blogspot www.extra-icing.blogspot.com and look down the right hand side for free tutorials you will find one on covering a round cake and cake board. It may help you a little if not a lot. thumbs_up.gif

Lorraine-your website is fantastic!
Thanks for all the info-can't wait til I have the time to REALLY look at it!
Kathy

ladyonzlake Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 4:50pm
post #10 of 13

Ellepal, you're cakes are gorgious! Yep, I think the other thing I'm not doing right is pulling the fondant away from the cake and starting at the top and working my way down. I notice I get a lot of air bubbles and when I get to the bottom I have a lot of gathering that I need to straighten out. The hardest type cake is the 6", it's small and also tall. I will try some of the techniques you've suggested. Thank you!
Jacqui

ladyonzlake Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 4:53pm
post #11 of 13

Thank you Lorraine, your tutorial is very helpful and your cakes FABULOUS! I can't wait to start practicing my fondant.
Jacqui

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 7:50am
post #12 of 13

Thank you....I'm glad the photos helped some. Air bubbles are a pain but if any do appear, use a pin and push it into the bubble sideways to release the air. I put a little icing sugar on my finger and gently rub around the bubble and over it to make it disappear, then give it another smoothing over with a cake smoother. When you are covering a tall cake, try not to pull the "skirt" of the paste out too far and avoid tucking any paste in at the bottom until you have covered and smoothed the top and sides, moving downwards all the time. thumbs_up.gif

Gosh, you asked a simple question and I'm writing another book on the subject instead of just answering and moving on!! icon_confused.gif Sorry! icon_lol.gif

ladyonzlake Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 2:29pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks again Lorraine. I need all the info I can get to get my fondant looking great! I'll try it all!
Jacqui

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%