Wilton Cookie Treat Pan

Baking By mcalhoun Updated 22 Mar 2006 , 10:14pm by bbelias

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 12:39pm
post #1 of 7

I bought one and tried my first cookies yesterday. The ones I did with regular cookie cutters and the No Fail recipe turned out great! BUT the ones I tried making in the pan made for putting sticks in the cookies stuck big time! Only one of all the cookies came out icon_cry.gif I was hoping someone had some advice on these pans or did I just waste $8? I was going to try making rice crispie treats in it today - maybe it wont be a total loss. I also have one more question - I have seen that alot of people use the plastic bottles for their royal icing I was under the imprssion never to put royal icing in anything plastic. Do the bottles turn your icing goopy?

Melissa

6 replies
marmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmar Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 7

I use the bottles and it doesn't go goopy - at first. If you fill a bottle and use it all up in one decorating session, it's fine. Tip: Keep bottles upside down in a bowl or box lined with damp paper towels and keep shart strong toothpicks handy to poke out any dried bits of icing from the bottle tip. If you have leftover icing and leave it in the bottle until next time (few days later, maybe) it might go a bit runny, or sometimes it thickens too much and you get carpal tunnel syndrome trying to squeeze it out). My solution is to pour it out, and re-mix. If i'm feeling lazy,I stir it as well as I'm able in the bottle with a butter knife or one of those thin off-set spatulas, so I can scrape the sides. Getting the right consistency is the trick, but i imagine this is true of piping bags, also. I outline a bunch of cookies with the bottle, then open it and pour some in a bowl, thin it out to use for flooding - this way I get the same color consistency, and I don't have to make huge separate batches of 2 kinds of icing - thick and thin. Does this make sense?

As far as if you're allowed to put royal icing in plastic - I don't know. I guess this is because plastic might retain grease and ruin the icing. I bought brand new bottles at a dollar store (the kind for mustard/ketchup) and I've never used anything but icing in them, so I think this is OK. Don't recycle old mustard bottles is the point. Hope this helps.

Marina

thyterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thyterrell Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 7:24pm
post #3 of 7

Don't know about the cookie pan, but you can use the bottles for royal icing, as long as that's the only thing they are used for. You should never store your royal icing in anything plastic that has had something greasy in it before. It's the grease that will ruin the royal icing, not the plastic itself. Even the tiniest bit of grease on your beaters or measuring spoons, etc., will ruin it.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 7

I had some sticking with the treat pan. Be sure to use something (shortening) to help prevent sticking, even if your recipe says 'ungreased'
Also, let the cookies cool a bit longer in the pan. It sometimes allows the cookies to release easier.

I have made Rice Krispie treats in the pans. Use plenty of butter to prevent sticking. It takes time to get them shaped. So what I do, is keep the mixed rice/marshmallow stuff in a plastic bowl. then if it gets too stiff, I just stick it in the microwave for a few seconds. But BE CAREFUL. It can get hot spots, and MM can really burn. If I am doing a lot of these, I use brand new rubber gloves washed well and coated with shortening or butter.

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalhoun

I bought one and tried my first cookies yesterday. The ones I did with regular cookie cutters and the No Fail recipe turned out great! BUT the ones I tried making in the pan made for putting sticks in the cookies stuck big time! Only one of all the cookies came out icon_cry.gif I was hoping someone had some advice on these pans or did I just waste $8? I was going to try making rice crispie treats in it today - maybe it wont be a total loss. I also have one more question - I have seen that alot of people use the plastic bottles for their royal icing I was under the imprssion never to put royal icing in anything plastic. Do the bottles turn your icing goopy?

Melissa

That happened to me with the flower pan. You do have to grease that so they don't stick. Just like JoAnnB said.
As for the plastic bottles for royal icing, I just bought some small bottles, with the plastic tips on to try for my RI. And I am going to try with my candy melts too. I got them from a cake store by me. CK packages them and you get 2 in a package for about $3. I have seem similar one on kitchengifts.com site.(the home of the famous no-fail cookies).

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the advice! I will give them all a try. I just sprayed my pan with Pam before but will grease/ butter it next time. I think I will try going to the dollar store and getting the mustard bottles as well.

bbelias Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbelias Posted 22 Mar 2006 , 10:14pm
post #7 of 7

I use the cookie/treat pans often with the no-fail recipe as well as chocolate chip and don't have problem with them sticking. I use the pam spray for baking and I let them sit in the pan to cool for a good 5 - 10 minutes. When you take them out try loosening the edges firts then lift from the stick with one hand and with the other support the edges. Once the cookies have cooled completely they are easier to handle.
As for the bottles I LOVE THEM!!! I only use the bottles for decorating because they are less messy and the royal doesn't dry up if you get sidetracked while decorating as often happens in my house with two little boys!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%