Chocolate Mmf....got A Few Questions

Decorating By SpeckledFaceGrace Updated 21 Mar 2006 , 5:14pm by Crimsicle

SpeckledFaceGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpeckledFaceGrace Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 13

I am going to make a batch of MMF was wondering if it is at all possible to add chocolate chips to it? I want it to be a real chocolatey flavor and was thinking that these would do the trick- if it will work, that is. If I can, when do I add them? And do I melt them before the addition? Thanks for your time, I look forward in anticipation to anyones help. Have a great afternoon!! icon_smile.gif

12 replies
babynewyear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babynewyear Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 9:48pm
post #2 of 13

I dont know about Chocolate chips. But I just found a recipe for chocolate royal icing and they used cocoa substituting 1/3 cup to 1lb of powdered sugar. It sounds like it would work with MMF. If someone else has tryed to make chocolate MMf maybe they will post.

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 13

In another post someone said if you wanted chocolate mmf
to add 1 ounce of melted chocolate. I don't remember what kind but this will at least bump you and hopefully someone with more experience can help.

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 13

I say that the best way to find out is to try it. Just make a half or quarter batch and see how it works. I would melt the choco chips into the melted marshmallows and then add in the sugar. i would also wait to add in the water until most of the sugar is added in or else while you are melting the mallows, so that you chocolate doesn't seize up on you. If you try it let us know how it turns out.

Karate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karate Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 13

Please do tell how it worked and what you did. I soooo want to try MMF and chocolate would even be better!

rlm5150 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlm5150 Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 13

babynewyear,
I would like to thank you for answering a question I have posted here and on the Wilton forum concerning making chocolate royal icing!!! icon_biggrin.gif
Can you share where you found the recipe so I can print it?
I appreciate it.
Tabby

rlm5150 Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 3:16pm
post #7 of 13

You can use pre-melted "Choco Bake". It's made by Hershey's, I think. It comes in 1 oz. packets in a box of about 8. I've used this for making chocolate bc and chocolate cream cheese.
Hope this helps.Tabby

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 3:33pm
post #8 of 13

adding chocolate to the mmf does change the texture slightly. I added melted choc and cocoa in my last batch, I was trying to get a really dark chocolate color. The texture was not as elastic and tore on the corners. It had a really good flavor but was harder to work with. I still love mmf better than any other fondant.

babynewyear Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 3:36pm
post #9 of 13

Hi Tabby you had me in a panic, I didnt keep track of where i found it. I have located it again. Here is the site http://www.recipezaar.com/80177
The number on the end of the url is the recipe number. icon_biggrin.gif

babynewyear Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 3:37pm
post #10 of 13

I didnt think about including the site I found it on. I should have icon_redface.gif

rlm5150 Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 4:08pm
post #11 of 13

Thank you so much! I've really been trying to find this recipe since I saw a basket pattern in the 1979 Wilton Yearbook.
Tabby

babynewyear Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 5:07pm
post #12 of 13

Be sure and send a pic of your cake when you get done. Sound really interesting icon_smile.gif

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 5:14pm
post #13 of 13

I have this in my "must try" recipes, but someone here (I believe) removes 1 cup of powdered sugar from the MMF recipe and substitutes the same amount of cocoa. And also adds a packet of Chocobake (which I couldn't find at my supermarket this weekend!) I kept the recipe because her chocolate fondant looked pretty darn good. Sorry....I can't remember who it was.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%