Best Chocolate Icing? Need 2 Know Your Fav

Decorating By rlsaxe Updated 4 Apr 2007 , 2:26pm by darkchocolate

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 1:03am
post #1 of 32

I'm gonna be making a cake for my daughter's 6th birthday next week (a Phantom of the Opera cake), and since it will need black icing, I thought I'd start with chocolate to cut back on the black coloring.
So, I'm wondering what everyone's favor chocolate icing is? I mean...REALLY GOOD CHOCOLATE ICING! That makes your mouth beg for more!

31 replies
rlsaxe Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 1:36am
post #2 of 32

come on now people! I know you chocolate lovers are out there! I don't want to waste time trying three different frostings before finding one that tastes good!
Come on! Share!

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 2:00am
post #3 of 32

The Hershey's recipe on the back of the cocoa box is a good one, very rich.

rlsaxe Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 32

ok....beginning to wonder whether or not people USE chocolate icing!!!!!!!!!!!!

mom2seven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2seven Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamode

The Hershey's recipe on the back of the cocoa box is a good one, very rich.

Same here, I love the Hershey's one. thumbs_up.gif

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 32

I'll give the Hershey's can recipe another vote....very yum. icon_smile.gif

laneysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneysmom Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 2:32pm
post #7 of 32

Toba Garrett's chocolate fudge frosting is to die for!!!

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 2:36pm
post #8 of 32

I haven't made the Toba Garrett's chocolate icing yet but I also agree that the recipe on the back of the Hershey cocoa can is absolutely wonderful!!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 2:37pm
post #9 of 32

What I do is make the bc recipe and add in DARK Chocolate cocoa powder! I LOVE IT! Dark chocolate is my fav! I think Hershey's carries it.Then you really don't have to add black if you don't want cause it's almost there! Have fun choosing! icon_biggrin.gif

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 2:42pm
post #10 of 32

I use whipped ganache. My family loves it and it so easy to make.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 2:48pm
post #11 of 32

I use Kalala's fluffy chocolate frosting on www.cooks.com. My customers love it.

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 2:50pm
post #12 of 32

Tried and True, back of the Hershey's cocoa can, I use it to ice the cake and for the filling too!!! I use water instead of milk so I don't have to refrigerate it. I was actually on CC looking for a chocolate filling that can top the Hershey's cocoa icing!!!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notmymum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notmymum Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 2:58pm
post #14 of 32

I'm after a tasty choc icing too and this Hershey's recipe sounds promising but being from the UK I can't get it. Would anyone be kind enough to type it out to share with us non-US bakers. PLEASE!?
Many thanks in advance xx

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 3:11pm
post #15 of 32

Toba Garrett's gets my vote too. I like the one on the Hershey's can but there is something about Toba's~~~~~~~scrumptious!!!!

mom2seven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2seven Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 3:14pm
post #16 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmymum

I'm after a tasty choc icing too and this Hershey's recipe sounds promising but being from the UK I can't get it. Would anyone be kind enough to type it out to share with us non-US bakers. PLEASE!?
Many thanks in advance xx

Here's the Hershey's recipe (you can use any cocoa you like in place of the Hershey's cocoa).

"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING

1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

rlsaxe Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 3:33pm
post #17 of 32

thanks guys! I knew some of you would come through. Looks like I'll give the Hershey's a try.

notmymum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notmymum Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 3:44pm
post #18 of 32

Thanks v much - will be trying that out v soon icon_smile.gif

roanoker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roanoker Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 7:27pm
post #19 of 32

I like to make Buttercream Dream and add 2-3 ozs of melted unsweetened chocolate (let it cool a bit before adding) and add 1 tsp of almond flavoring. The melted chocolate mixes in better then cocoa powder IMO and the tsp of almond flavoring gives a little something extra. LOVE IT!

fragglerock1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fragglerock1 Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 8:11pm
post #20 of 32

I love the Hershey's recipe too, but does it crust? I've only ever iced cupcakes with it and never really needed it before, but now I think I will make the Perfectly Chocolate cake and icing with the cookies and cream filling from this site for Easter dessert.

rlsaxe Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 10:18pm
post #21 of 32

welp, I made the hershey's icing. Wasn't too crazy about it. It had a more cocoa taste. I'm looking more for a chocolate taste.....maybe I should go with the dark chocolate instead. I added chocolate syrup to make it more chocolaty and less cocoa-y. Anyway....just added the black icing and am hoping it will darken with time.
For the person who had the Toba Garrett chocolate icing recipe, could you send it my way?
Thanks!

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 10:23pm
post #22 of 32

here you go...don't forget to click on the link for the ganache!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/109248

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 10:25pm
post #23 of 32

The Epicurious recipe is Tobas..I believe.

rlsaxe Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 10:28pm
post #24 of 32

thanks Jodi!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 10:58pm
post #25 of 32

yes it is....someone sent it to me thumbs_up.gif

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 11:04pm
post #26 of 32

Has anyone tried the Chocolate Syrup frosting recipe posted here on CC? It is VERY, VERY good. If you really like chocolate, you should give this one a try.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 11:10pm
post #27 of 32

my WMI taught us to add melted chocolate bark to our regular BC icing, I use the kind that you find on the baking isle in the orange and brown box, and I melt 3 bars of it, let it cool sligtly then add to my BC in the mixer... my family loves it and my customers have come back more than once for chocolate icing... hope that helps you... oh I forgot leave the vanilla out of your regular BC the chocolate should flavor it enough, if not then add a little almond, it goes a long way icon_smile.gif

rlsaxe Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 12:37am
post #28 of 32

I also made the chocolate syrup frosting today too. It was better than the Hershey's IMHO. I ended up adding syrup to the Hershey's recipe and then combined that with the syrup recipe. I added black coloring and now am waiting to see if it will darken. If it doesn't get close to black, I'll probably end up going out and getting the dark cocoa recipe.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 1:41am
post #29 of 32

I tried some with cocoa and didn't like them but they had no butter in it just shortening may be that's why. I have only used Chocolate Buttercream better than the original but a bit expensive I am going to try this recipe it sounds cheaper and yummy. We'll see what happens!

roanoker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roanoker Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 6:08pm
post #30 of 32

I am telling you guys, I agree with SugarBakerz, add 2-3 oz of melted unsweetened chocolate to regular BC or BCD. I do use a tsp or two of vanilla and a tsp of almond. It is REALLY good and you can easily adjust how chocolatey (is that a word) you want it to be. It is the only kind I ever make. It is thicker than regular BC so you will need an extra TBSP of milk or water, whichever you use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%