Paste Or Gel Which Do You Use?

Decorating By Jennkrem Updated 21 Apr 2005 , 7:03am by flayvurdfun

Jennkrem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennkrem Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 7

While shopping in the grocery stores, I often come across food color in the gel form. Have been curious if it worked well with butter cream and fondant. Has anyone tried it? Is there much of a difference? I have to go out of my way to stores that sell the paste. So if gel works just as well, it would save me a lot of hassle.

6 replies
Jennkrem Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 7

Doesn't anyone have an idea?????

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 7

I'm not sure what the diffrence is between gel and paste. Paste is what I use and I've never seen gel at a grocery store. The only thing I've seen is the liquid kind that you die easter eggs and stuff with, that you put in with a dropper. The reason for using a paste is it doesn't throw off you consistency. Adding liquid, even a little can make it thinner. Sorry i can't be of more help, and sorry I didn't answer sooner, I just don't know!

kate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 7

When I worked at a bakery we used the gel coloring and I really liked it. It's much easier to color your icing with, no lumps ever. Of course you can add some glycerin to your paste colors if they get a little hard and it will soften them up. I've found it hard to find gel coloring in stores, the bakery ordered it from a big supplier.

Jennkrem Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 7

THANK YOU!!!!!!

That is just what I needed to know, the next time I'm in the store, I'm going to pick some up. icon_lol.gif

nashsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nashsmom Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 7

I prefer to use gel colors, rather than paste. Americolor gels are my favorite. You are lucky that gels are sold close by for you!

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 7:03am
post #7 of 7

I'm using gels.... I have never seen pastes but know they exist.. I know there are bottles that you squeeze in and dont need to use toothpicks, or whatever you do to use it.... I have heard both sides.... but most like the gels and the squeezing kind the most.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%