Beginners Cake Decorating Class

Decorating By megamoodles Updated 31 Mar 2007 , 11:55pm by sweetcakesva

megamoodles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megamoodles Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 11:22pm
post #1 of 4

Hey everyone,

I was asked to lead a cake decorating class at a summer event. It's 3 days long for about an hour and will have a range of ages and abilities. Most of the people will be beginners.

Do any of you have any ideas for techniques I could teach? Each night, each person will bring home a 6" round or square cake.

Thanks ahead of time for your input!!!

3 replies
NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 12:09am
post #2 of 4

3 hours isnt a lot of time. I would say teaching them how to ice a cake smooth...maybe even how to fill it? But also another night(or 2), the most popular borders(star, dot, rope, and even a basketweave). I think that would give them a basic start on cake decorating IMHO=) And congrats on the teaching job! Jen

Edited to add...I would suppose it would also help to teach them the basic decorating tools(piping bags/tips/spatulas)

nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 4

You could get the course 1 and 2 books at Hobby Lobby or Micheals. They cost under $5.00 each. That would give you ideas of what to teach.
Mar icon_smile.gif

sweetcakesva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesva Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 4

the first day I would focus on cake basic- icing a cake and what tools are used. the second day I would have them bring one iced and teach them to do stars. That really is a technique most people can do, if they are catching on fast than show them the shell edge etc. I think the basket weave can be frusterating for those whi aren't catching on well. and then the third day i would try roses (bc) just suggestions icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%