Good Cream Cheese Frosting/icing Request

Baking By Wandootie Updated 27 Mar 2006 , 11:10am by MomLittr

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 14

Hi Guys!

I am looking for a really good cream cheese icing/frostine recipe for a red velvet cake. Must taste good, spread well and able to pipe well (shells and other simple borders).

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thansk!

Wanda

13 replies
Wandootie Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 14

bumping

Wandootie Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 14

bumping again

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 2:58pm
post #4 of 14

Do a search for Italian Cream Cake filling. I posted this request a couple of weeks ago. In that post is a recipe for Crusting Cream Cheese Icing. It is excellant!!!! Very smooth to work with and pipes great! I used it on my cake in my gallery that has Jerry written on it. It takes color really good, too. I won't even go into the taste!!!!! Let me put it this way - my family is still trying to come down from the sugar high!

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 3:05pm
post #5 of 14

I have a recipe that I altered to get it a little thicker consistency. Not sure that it is still thick enough to spread smooth; but it's definitely thicker than the original recipe. Piping borders would work; piping roses probably won't.

1 1/2 bricks cream cheese
1 stick butter (softened to room temp)
1 (2 lb.) bag confectioners sugar
1 ts. vanilla extract

The problem to me is that if you add too much sugar to thicken it up; the taste isn't as good. I think I saw a recipe on here somewhere where crisco was added as well; that one might be the answer.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 14

This is a nice recipe for a Crusting Cream Cheese icing. You can pipe simple borders with it. I've never tried anything too elaborate, like roses. HTH

CRUSTING CREAM CHEESE ICING

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 pound cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract
3 1/2 pounds sifted confectioner's sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cream butter, shortening, cream cheese and extracts. Gradually add confectioner's sugar and salt. Beat on low speed until nice and creamy. If you want whiter icing, try to use butter without dyes available at most health food stores.

This recipe is for a stiff consistency. For a thinner consistency, use 3 pounds of powdered sugar instead.

If you want a very smooth cake, let the cake sit for 15 minutes after icing. Then smooth with the non-printed side of a Viva paper towel.

stylishbite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stylishbite Posted 22 Mar 2006 , 7:02pm
post #7 of 14

I have used the crusting cream chees recipe. Just wanted to let you now it's awesome! Taste great, smooths after crusting even w/ the viva method. The only troble is it makes a ton of icing. I haven't halfed it because I read a thread where halfing it botched the batch. I made it last week on a lemon cake and it was YUMM-O

Hema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hema Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 5:39am
post #8 of 14

I would love to try the crusting cream cheese icing for my daughter's b'day cake. Sounds so yumm!

Apart from lemon cake, what other cakes would go well with this icing? Please help...

mrsfish94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsfish94 Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 5:48am
post #9 of 14

Carrot Cake, Spice Cake, Applesauce Cake. I think anything with Cinnimon and Spice would go great!!! I have even had it on a chocolate cake...It was pretty good.

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 5:58am
post #10 of 14

Here's a photo and a recipe for vanilla bean cream cheese icing:

http://chockylit.blogspot.com/2005/10/red-velvet-cupcakes-with-vanilla-bean.html

You can add more powdered sugar to make it thick enough to pipe.

flourgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourgrl Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 12:32pm
post #11 of 14

On a different note....
In Cake Bible (Rose's book) she has a recipe for a white chocolate cream cheese buttercream....very yummy and has a different taste than traditional.
Word of caution..make sure the buttter and cream cheese are both at room temp, beat well before adding the melted yet cooled white chocolate, or you may get little lumps of cream cheese/fat in the icing...it smooths out well
Here;s a couple of pics

flourgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourgrl Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 12:36pm
post #12 of 14

I'm trying the pic again!!!
LL

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 10:08am
post #13 of 14

flourgrl that's a beautiful cake!

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 11:10am
post #14 of 14

That cake is beautiful - what are the leaves made from?

deb

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%