Experience With Poured Cookie Icing?

Baking By Roos88 Updated 20 Mar 2006 , 11:13am by MikeRowesHunny

Roos88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roos88 Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 8:44am
post #1 of 4

I have to make a batch of cookies for my work tonight and I'm planing on using the poured cookie icing recipe from the recipe section. Has anyone used it and how did you like it? I don't want to use royal icing since I think the flavour is awful, and I like this recipe cause it doesn't call for ingredients I can't get over here in the Netherlands, such as meringue powder. Let me know what you think about this recipe!

3 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 9:18am
post #2 of 4

Roos, you can always use egg whites instead of meringue powder in Royal Icing - that's the traditional way it's been done for years! If you're worried about the raw egg, use the salmonella free eggs or the little pots of pastuerised egg whites from Albert Heijn. Have you tried adding flavour to Royal icing? It takes it to a different level tastewise - I always use lemon juice from the squeezy bottles in place of 1/2 the recommended liquid, and it cuts the sweetness and tastes beautiful! I can't advise you on the poured icing as I think Royal is the best for a professional look (and doesn't contain anything you can't get here!) - by the way, where are you going to get the corn syrup for the poured icing?!

Roos88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roos88 Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 11:05am
post #3 of 4

Hey bonjovibabe!
I got the syrup from a friend of mine who took it back from the States for me. The place where she got it, ran out of meringue powder, otherwise she would have gotten that for me, too..
I have checked the powdered eggwhites at Albert Heijn but couldn't find them in my local store. Maybe I have to go search for it again!
No experience with the poured cookie icing though?

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 11:13am
post #4 of 4

The pasteurised egg whites are in little pots (like yoghurt pots) usually in the refridgerated dairy section of Albert Heijn, although I don't think the smaller AH's do it (I know mine doesn't, I have to go to a larger/better one!). They are real egg whites that have been treated to remove any chance of contamination from salmonella etc. I haven't used the poured fondant because I like to work with Royal icing (see my photos for cookies I've done with it), must be the British in me icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif. Hope you manage to work something out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%