Chalking Flowers

Decorating By amy78 Updated 2 Apr 2007 , 12:56am by Sugarbunz

amy78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amy78 Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 13

I was on wiltons web site and they were talking about chalking flowers with real non toxic chalk. Can you realy do this and do decorators actuly use chalk? I guess its just like using luster dust?

12 replies
gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 13

Sure Can! and cheaper than buying Petal Dust. You can buy chalks in the artist isle of most craft/hobby stores. The one I bought has about 60 color in it. Just make sure the box says "non toxic" kinda like Crayons thumbs_up.gif

I shave a bit of with a paring knife, even mix some colors if I need to, and apply like dusts with a paintbrush.

amy78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amy78 Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 13

Wow! do you have any pictures of cakes that you have used this on? Do you let people know about the chalk i mean wouldent some people not be happy with this. Can you tast the chalk?

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 13

Actually I don't tell people unless they ask how I did it, again, everything I do is edible except supports and I tell them that. My scroll on my bible verse cake, the edges are brushed with chalk to give it an "old" look, like dusts, it does not take much so there is no taste.

KrazyKross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyKross Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 13

Another way to get the chalk powdery is to use a small tea strainer and rub the chalk over the holes like you would grate cheese. It turns it into a powder. You can then use your paint brush to dry brush the chalk onto the flowers.

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 13

I just bought some chalk pastels today! Got them at JoAnn's a box of 24 colors for $4.99, and it says right on the box "non-toxic". The other more expensive brands of pastels did not mention they were non-toxic, so I went for the cheaper ones! It's a nice array of colors including white, black, and brown.

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 10:15pm
post #7 of 13

Great idea! I didn't realize you could use chalks like that. I can see how you could save a lot of money! Luster and Petal Dusts are expensive!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 12:26am
post #8 of 13

Chalk works very well. I use an Xacto knife to shave the chalk, it makes a lovely fine powder. Let the item dry completely before dusting with the chalk & then gently steam it for a few seconds over a pot of boiling water. DO NOT STEAM FOR LONG AS IT WILL MELT.

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 12:23pm
post #9 of 13

Absolutely, the flowers on the wedding cake I did last wedding was done with chalk and they were beautiful. I think I also got mine at the craft store. It is real easy too. icon_lol.gif

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 12:37pm
post #10 of 13

Chalk is wonderful and really easy to use. I have pastels and use a ginger grater to create the fine dust. Works like a charm.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 5:18pm
post #11 of 13

I've used grated chalk & it works great. Just make sure they say non-toxic. I would only use it on decor not meant to be eaten. I actually just bought some Pearl Ex powered pigments from JoAnn. It's a box with 12 beautiful shimmering colors packaged like the pearl/luster dust. I used my 50% off coupon & they ended up costing about $1 ea. I'm using them next weekend on a cake & have already made some of the gumpaste decor. They work great brushed on dry or mixed with Vodka. Steaming the flowers prevents the chalk from getting on the cake.

kbochick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbochick Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 11:26pm
post #12 of 13

I went to the stamping section of the craft store, and got a chalk set. They're meant for brushing on a stamped image, so they're already in a powdery sort of cake. No need to grate! Plus, they come in a rockin' little tin, so there's really no clean up. icon_smile.gif

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 12:56am
post #13 of 13

Am I the only one who is getting yucky chills because this whole conversation reminds me of someone rubbing their fingernails down a chalboard? icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%