Decorating The Sides...

Decorating By galaglow Updated 20 Apr 2005 , 4:43pm by GHOST_USER_NAME

galaglow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galaglow Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 8

I usually keep the sides of my cakes pretty simple, smoothed with a border piped along the top and bottom edges. Sometimes I'll use the triangle comb for a different effect. But, I attended a party the other day and the cake was lovely, the decorator had used a star tip and piped swirls all over the sides of the cake. I can't remember now if there was a border as well?

I wondered, does anyone else have different methods for decorating the sides of your cakes? It sure made it look a lot fancier than just smoothed sides.

icon_smile.gif

7 replies
pastrypuffgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypuffgirl Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 12:02am
post #2 of 8

I like to basket weave, or make swags or just pipe some designs. If you look at my posted pictures, i have a christening cake that has some designs piped on the sides, i also have a graduation cake (for Tara) which has swags and a combed side, and i also used strands of pearls as well in the posted four tier sweet sixteen cake (although they have to be removed before cutting) There is also a couple of cakes that are basket weaved if you want to see that effect. Ever since i got my airbrush i find that airbrushing the sides can create a nice effect also ( look at the cowboy grooms cake posted as well) Hope that can give you some ideas icon_smile.gif have fun!

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 12:16am
post #3 of 8

Galaglow, you could also do something as simple as little dots, take a look at my pictures, the chocolate anniversary cake didn't take any time at all but looks dramatic.....you could also cut out fondant shapes and put them on the side of the cake, I did that on my granddaughters 2nd birthday cake, it's also posted in my pictures if you want to take a look.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 1:26am
post #4 of 8

I think a nice look is to make diamond impressions on the sides. You can do it with an impression mat or you can just press them in using a straight edge. That's what I did on the piano cake in my photos.

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 2:26am
post #5 of 8

I decorate the sides of most of my cakes. The Betty Boop cake I just made had hearts around the side.

galaglow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galaglow Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 4:39am
post #6 of 8

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I'm going to go check out your pictures now. icon_smile.gif

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 8:13am
post #7 of 8

yeah me too....I dont decorate sides cuz I dont see how I can without tilting and such.... I know I'd panic~

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 4:43pm
post #8 of 8

No tilting needed. Place the cake on something sturdy and make it eye level or close to eye level.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%