Cake For A Drummer Help

Decorating By abbey Updated 6 Jul 2010 , 9:36pm by wondamamma

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 18

Has anyone ever made a cake for a drummer. I was thinking of making a drum set but am not coming up with a solid idea. Anyone have a creative idea?

Thanks for the help!

17 replies
CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 1:02am
post #2 of 18

The only thing I can think of is to make a larger square cake and smaller round cakes decorated like drums....my thought is to put the smaller, I'm thinking like 6" cakes in different heights, maybe using dowel rods covered in fondant,maybe white fondant dusted with silver dusting powder to make it look like a drum set, and if there was some way to angle the cakes just slightly, that would even be better. I don't know how realistic this would be for you or if you want to go to that much trouble.....you could always just decorate a round cake like a drum.

reiscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reiscakes Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 1:06am
post #3 of 18

Here's a great snare drum cake I found off of Google. http://www.weddingcakesbykurt.com/g12.html

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 1:14am
post #4 of 18

That is cool, Abbey, you should do that one...the drummer would be so impressed!! Probably easier than what I suggested too! icon_smile.gif

dragonwarlord1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonwarlord1969 Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 1:31am
post #5 of 18

I thought I just had was to make a 13x9 sheet cake and put a cupcake drum set on top.

Joe

marknrox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknrox Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 2:05am
post #6 of 18

My husband is a drummer and I wanted to make one for him for his birthday. I found this one on this site and emailed the person that did it for instructions, but never got a response. Maybe you could have better luck.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&member_id=26&cat=0&pos=49

abbey Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 18

These pics are great. Now how do I go about getting silver? I think I can shape all the hardware type pieces from fondant but how do you color fondant to make it look silver?

Thanks for the help this site is so awesome to a newbie!

marknrox Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 6:24pm
post #8 of 18

I found something called highlighter dust in silver that I think will work great. It also comes in bronze and gold. I got mine at sugarcraft.com. I found that applying it with a q-tip works well.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 6:33pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknrox

My husband is a drummer and I wanted to make one for him for his birthday. I found this one on this site and emailed the person that did it for instructions, but never got a response. Maybe you could have better luck.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&member_id=26&cat=0&pos=49

I e-mailed that same person (cjf) regarding her cowboy boot cake but never got a response either!!! icon_cool.gif

marknrox Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 6:38pm
post #10 of 18

That's too bad because I was really looking forward to doing that cake for my husband!

I'm sure you were too.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 2:20am
post #11 of 18

cjf is Carol. When she first started posting her pics, she would answer questions but I think she got bombarded. She hasn't been around in a while.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 2:14pm
post #12 of 18

Ok, I decided to look at the pic and see what I would do to make this and this is what I came up with..
Layer and fill at least 4 nine inch rounds one on top of each other. Then either ice/smooth with a good crusting buttercream, or what might be better is to cover it in MMF or regular fondant. The silver rims are most likely made out of fondant and then covered in silver lustre dust. The skinny posts in the rods on the side of the cake could be spaghetti or those bamboo skewers stuck in formed fondant and then covered in silver lustre dust...if you had a mold you might be able to make them out of chocolate.... you could make the drum any size you wanted with any type of round cake....
hope this helps.
m0use

abbey Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 4:41pm
post #13 of 18

thanks mouse!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 6:11pm
post #14 of 18

no problem!

wondamamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wondamamma Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 10:27pm
post #15 of 18

Hey everyone,

I am making a 50th birthday cake for a guy who used to play drums and who was also with a marching band. I tried to attach a pic of the drum but it keeps failing. It's a standard marching/drummer boy kind of drum, with a shiny shell, etc - just to give an idea.

I am planning on making a layered round cake sandwiched and crumb coated, etc with b/c and decorated with RTR fondant.

I won't need dowel support will I? I mean it seems straight forward but I don't want it to sink or anything like that.

Any tips or suggestions, etc would be very much appreciated.

Thanks ! icon_smile.gif

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 11:03pm
post #16 of 18

Three of my kids are percussionists. I didn't really want make a drum set cake for my sons birthday last year.... so here's what I came up with.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1562548

He really liked it!

marknrox Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:38am
post #17 of 18

Awesome job!

wondamamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wondamamma Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:36pm
post #18 of 18

Hey everyone,

My cake turned out pretty ok considering!!! The guy whose birthday it was, was delighted with it and I think he even tried to play it!

icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%