Pricing Character Cakes

Business By kimmers Updated 30 Mar 2007 , 1:35pm by Laura102777

kimmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmers Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 3:19am
post #1 of 11

Hello fellow cake makers!
Question: what is considered a fair price for a childs Character cake?
I just had a request for 2 cakes for twins.. one is the wilton castle cake, the other is scooby doo... the customer has already bought the cake pans for me to use. Would $40. each be considered too much?? I didn't get the deal... she said her husband wouldn't go for that and felt it should be less since she bought the pans...... what's fair $$$??
Thanks for any input.

10 replies
Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 3:33am
post #2 of 11

Are the pans for you to keep or just to use and give back when you're done?

purplecakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
purplecakediva Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 3:35am
post #3 of 11

I did a Spiderman Cake for $25.00 only because I knew the lady. For 2 maybe $50.00 to $60.00 but let them know no one can tell you how valuble YOUR time is.... Good Luck

kimmers Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 3:40am
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura102777

Are the pans for you to keep or just to use and give back when you're done?

You know, we didn't exactly discuss that..
this gal was just referred to me from a friend of mine... I just made a minnie mouse cake for my friend and charged her $40. plus, i made a super quick batch of box cupcakes to go along w/the minnie mouse cake so she would have plenty of cake for her party.. i didn't think i charged too much for that deal, in fact, the time and detail i put into minnie made me wonder why i was only charging $40..

And, for my friend, I bought the pan myself so i could keep it in my own collection. so really when you break that deal down, I made no $$

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 3:56am
post #5 of 11

be carefull...you can't "legally" sell character pan cakes...the castle is fine but scooby is copywrite...

kimmers Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 3:58am
post #6 of 11

[quote="mthiberge"]be carefull...you can't "legally" sell character pan cakes...the castle is fine but scooby is copywrite...[/quote

what? are you saying I can make a scooby cake but i can't legally get money for it?

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 4:05am
post #7 of 11

[quote="kimmers"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthiberge

be carefull...you can't "legally" sell character pan cakes...the castle is fine but scooby is copywrite...[/quote

what? are you saying I can make a scooby cake but i can't legally get money for it?

Lots of threads out there on this. Wilton states it is copywrite material and is for home use only.

kimmers Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 4:14am
post #8 of 11

[quote="Rambo"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthiberge

be carefull...you can't "legally" sell character pan cakes...the castle is fine but scooby is copywrite...[/quote

Lots of threads out there on this. Wilton states it is copywrite material and is for home use only.

thanks for the insight! Do you have any input on what you personally would charge for the castle cake?

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 5:18am
post #9 of 11

I actually popped in to see what kind of answers you got. I'm still at the point where I'm just happy if a cake doesn't cost me anything. I did a SpongeBob for my nephew and when someone asked how much I'd charge I told them $25. That was off the top of my head. They are a single layer (usually) and only feed like 15 people (I think). Cost me about $5-$7 to make it and two hours to decorate.

But like I said I don't sell many cakes and I'm pretty sure I undercharge for most of them

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 5:25am
post #10 of 11

I would say if you get to keep the pans you can deduct the price of the pans off the bill.....other wise! I would charge the same as the other cake!

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 1:35pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastingmoments

I would say if you get to keep the pans you can deduct the price of the pans off the bill.....other wise! I would charge the same as the other cake!

I wouldn't deduct the full price of the pans. After all, these particular pans were the customer's choice, and you may or may not have alot of use for them in the future. I'd deduct half the price of the pans, maybe, IF you're keeping the pans in the deal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%