Half Chocolate/half White Sheet Cake

Decorating By heathcombs Updated 20 Mar 2006 , 9:59pm by Cakepro

heathcombs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heathcombs Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 16

I have a request for a half chocolate/half white sheet cake. Is there something I can put in the middle, or do I make two small cakes and put them together?

15 replies
kaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaecakes Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 10:20pm
post #2 of 16

I personally do 2 cakes, but have heard that some make both mixes then pour them at the same time into the sheet cake pan, and that works. It may not be completely even but it does work with out mixing together.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 16

I make two cakes and either put one on top of the other or put them side by side with icing between them.

One of them....I can't remember which one right now...doesn't rise high as the other one. so, you'll have to trim one up a bit more....unless you put them on top of each other.

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 16

I bake two cakes and cut them in half and then stack the halves on top of each other and push together so you end up with 2 layers, with a filling. one half of the cake is white and one half choc or whatever flavors you are using.

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 10:45pm
post #5 of 16

My white cake rises more than the chocolate, on a sheet cake I would also bake two cakes cut a little of the ends off and put them together with a little icing in between. I have also cut a piece of cardboard and wraped it with alumium foil to separate and poured my different flavors in each sideicon_smile.gif

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoriabakery

I bake two cakes and cut them in half and then stack the halves on top of each other and push together so you end up with 2 layers, with a filling. one half of the cake is white and one half choc or whatever flavors you are using.

I do this too. It's much easier than it sounds, and really, not a lot of work.

Falenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Falenn Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 3:03am
post #7 of 16

The method i use is pouring both the same time while having a cutting board right in the middle. Help is needed when doing it this way, but it comes out really great.

AdorableCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AdorableCakes Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 5:05am
post #8 of 16

When making two flavors in one pan I use aluminum foil in the center and pour in chocolate and white on the other side. Then pull out the foil. There maybe a mixing point but most people don't care or can not see it when cut.

tastycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycake Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 1:22pm
post #9 of 16

Sugar Craft sells a plastic seperator you can put in the middle of the pan in order to fill one side with white, the other with chocolate. That's what I use and it works pretty well. You still end up with a little mixing in the middle, but I've never had any complaints.

MicheleF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleF Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 2:14pm
post #10 of 16

For those of you who pour both flavors in one pan, do you still have one side rise more than the other?? I have always baked 2 seperate cakes and pushed them next to one another WITHOUT icing between them. Is there an advantage to putting the icing between the two? One more question...a constant problem I have when baking 2 seperate cakes and placing them together is that I don't get a straight edge across the cake and the icing tends to "droop" on the side between the two flavors. Any suggestions?

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 3:02pm
post #11 of 16

I bake both in one pan I do not even bother with putting something in the middle because those are the favored pieces they get choc and white in the same serving.

My choc does rise a bit more than the white so I just give it slightly more than 1/2 the pan and it work out great..

I do not do 1/2 and 1/2 on a 9x13 only on the 12x18

my batter is thick enough it does not run into the other 1/2 before I can fill the other 1/2 but I always mix thw white first so I do not need to wash the bowl inbetween if the batter seems to run to much raise one side of the pan on something while you mix the other cake.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 8:48pm
post #12 of 16

Michelle F:
When I put two cakes together, I don't put frosting between them either. I do frost the seam first very generously and frost the rest of it and usualy I can smooth with the spatula and you cannot see the seam.
I only do this method for a full sheet cake (two 12x18s put together). When I make a half and half cake (which I do ALL THE TIME), I do not put anything between the batters, just tilt the pan.

Use bake even strips and they rise equally.

I intend to post my method as it has come up in these forums many times. I took photos of the procedure; but I borrowed someone's digital camera, and they don't have the cable that goes from camera to computer. So, when I get the cable, I wil post the procedure.

MicheleF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleF Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 3:47pm
post #13 of 16

Thanks Linda. I would like to see your photos when you get them.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 8:05pm
post #14 of 16

I pour them in at the same time. I use the enhanced cake mix from this site....since it tends to be thick I do this to save my arms...

Pour in about half of both....then alternate putting in the rest...chocolate...then white. That way when it look like it is starting to run over I jsut switch to the other flavor.

Sometimes one rises more, but when I level it that is taken care of.

I have 2 bowls for my mixer so that works out easy too. But you could reasily scrape to another bowl.

Good luck.

Julia

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 8:17pm
post #15 of 16

Depending on size, I do either way.
If it's just one layer and 1/2 a sheet I have an aluminum divider my hubby made for me for the 12 X 18" pan. For the 11 X 15 I've been making a divider by folding over aluminum foil several times and placing it in the center, then place a heavy bowl upside down on the side opposite the side I'll pour first. This keeps my divider from sliding. Once I've poured both sides I pull the divider straight up and out of the pan. So far it's worked great. I like making a divider rather than pouring in both sides at once, because I don't always have an extra set of hands. Also, I think I get my sides more even.
If I'm making a full sheet... I just make two cakes and push together.
1/2 sheet double layer is really easy too. Just make two 1/2 sheets, and cut down the center... stack and frost.

Does anyone else do half chocolate and 1/2 white inside and out (with frosting to match)? I make them this way for my husband's office occasionally. Very basic design with just a border, but everyone loves it. icon_wink.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 9:59pm
post #16 of 16

I took a 9x13" "Tuff Board" and cut it to fit across my half-sheet pan. I pour batter into both sides and pull out the separator. My white cake does tend to bake a little higher, so the batter runs a little over the chocolate, but it's nothing I worry about. icon_smile.gif

I might cut another separator and make a neopolitan cake one day...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%