Molding Rice Krispie Treats

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 18 May 2012 , 1:44am by wini4

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 11:11am
post #1 of 17

Just wondering if I need to run the rice krispies through the food processor first before molding...will this give a smoother look if covered in fondant...and..will the recipe still be the same doing this?

TIA
Christi

16 replies
lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 12:08pm
post #2 of 17

You could try that, it might make the combination a bit harder to handle. I took a knife and "shaved" the moulded form, then used RI to do the first coating, it fills in the gaps and then, when dry, RI can be sanded, with sandpaper.

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 17

OK, but if you sand it with sandpaper, is it technically still edible?

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 17

Did you plan to have the rice crispie figure eaten? I've only used rice crispies for "decoration", so can't really say if the sand paper would leave any residue or not, that would be considered not food safe. I do know, cakes that are covered in RI are sanded. So there might be a "sand paper" out there that is food safe. A really good question.

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 17

I just molded rice krispy treats and I just used them the regular way. It may not have been completely smooth but I thought it looked okay.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 3:03pm
post #6 of 17

Here is a link to a cake I just did with a rice crispy treat bull's head. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=peacockplace&cat=0&pos=0
I just used the regular rice crispies, not ground up and it worked fine. i did have to add a little extra marshmallow to make it stick better. I didn't carve the shape, just molded like clay. The whole rice crispies did make a little texture, but it was fine for this type of cake. I have heard of other people ginding them up. But I wouldn't say it's necessary. HTH

wgoat5 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 17

Thanks for being so helpful, I have to mold these into cup shapes and I didn't know if I could get these completely smooth looking for the fondant, but I guess I could use like a old fashioned knife sharpener (you know the one, the long handle type) it doesnt have any kind of sand paper on it, just textured. Pecockplace how many more or how much more marshmallow did you have to use?

Thanks
Christi

peacockplace Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 5:45pm
post #8 of 17

I was doing it at 2:30 in the morning, so honestly I don't know. icon_redface.gif I just kept adding until it felt like it would stick together well. I was using marshmallow creme... maybe that's why. I followed the directions on the box, but it just wasn't holding together so I added more until it did.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 5:59pm
post #9 of 17

I would not grind the rice crispies up before making up the RCT. I think if you did you would defy the purpose of using RCT, it would be much heavier and much more difficult to mold. Whenever I have used RCT as a part of a cake I have just made sure that I press the still warm RCT into the mold really firmly, give it a good push to compress it so you eliminate the craters. When it is set you can spacle over with icing before putting on fondant.

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 6:14pm
post #10 of 17

I never run the krispies thru a blender. My molded krispies are always made to be eaten on my cakes, so I just mold, and use a serrated knife to shave down or sculpt. Then you can brush on a little RI (it helps the fondant stick better than buttercream). I have done this for my skate wheels for a roller skate I did (in my pics) and also an R2-D2 (in my pics also) for the arms. Works out Great! icon_smile.gif

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 6:16pm
post #11 of 17

I did hear from someone on here (I forget who) that Duff does smash them up first to make them smoother.

I'm trying it today - will let you know!

wgoat5 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 6:47pm
post #12 of 17

Oh great I would love to know! But I hope I don't have to go through that extra process of grinding them up! icon_sad.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 6:57pm
post #13 of 17

I've also read on here where Duff, I believe, uses less butter or leaves it out completely, as a way of making the RCT more firm and stable. I don't remember for sure, but if you do a search about him mashing them up (I remember reading that also), you'll find the info. about the butter.

nalyjuan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nalyjuan Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 7:15pm
post #14 of 17

I just did a gator cake and I just did the regular recipe with 45 large marshmellows. It held up just fine. I wish I would have know about the RI holding up better than the BC did. However, I did not have any problems with the BC only that it felt like it took forever to dry and it was messy to handle.

peacockplace Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 11:36pm
post #15 of 17

I've only seen Duff use the ready made rice crispy treats. They just rip open the packs and go to town. Maybe that got too expensive and they started making their own. icon_biggrin.gif

wgoat5 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 11:50pm
post #16 of 17

does anybody have the link to Duff's rice krispie stuff?

wini4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wini4 Posted 18 May 2012 , 1:44am
post #17 of 17

I was reading the entries and wondered if a Microplane might work.
I work in an Operating Room and we have metal files for bone ( in know yech) however they don't leave a residue and can be thrown in the dishwasher. They are similar to the metal files found at the hardware store or in the beading area of your craft store.

I am new to this and going to try my first cake soon and this site is my part of my research.
One Question for you all ~ "crumb Coat or not over the rice crispy base or not and RI or BC?
Thanks Wini4

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%