Kind Of Freaking Out Here

Decorating By Sugarbunz Updated 29 Mar 2007 , 3:02pm by dali120

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 4:06am
post #1 of 10

I got myself in over my head with a power rangers cake. It is supposed to have a 3-D blue Mystic force ranger head on it (cake). I'm great at designing the cake, but as far as implementing, that's where the novice comes out in full force. I did a "test run" tonight with just the head because that is the part I'm worried most about (it will have two square tiers below it) and well, let's just say things did not go as planned. Granted, I was rushed, and didn't let the "head" sit in the freezer long enough to carve. I used the ball pan, but found out quickly it was entirely too round for my purposes so I needed to carve. I really wanted to just test putting fondant over it, so I dealt with my sharp edged head. Unfortunately I have NO idea how to put fondant over a shape like this. Having to smooth fondant over a smaller edge than what I started with made for a really pleated bottom part of the head. Any tips on smoothing this? I am half-tempted to let them know I can't do it and to go to the grocery store, but this little boy is really looking forward to this cake and I'd like to give it an honest go. I mean, I don't think their standards are really high because they were really impressed with the "poker" cake I did (for the little boy's aunt - a coworker)which was unfinished to say the least; but this is the first time I've got a real outside request for a cake. I'm not charging, just requesting they purchase the supplies; but I just can't give them something that looks as awful as what I tried to do tonight! Please help!!!!!!!

9 replies
DecoratingDingbat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratingDingbat Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 4:21am
post #2 of 10

Not sure I'm understanding fully, but I did a football yesterday and put the fondant on with the cake upside down. When I flipped it over and attached to the board you couldn't see the tucks/folds in the fondant and the top looked smooth. I'm new to using fondant though and highly reccomend you wait for some of the more experienced members to answer ... Doug, Shirley, etc. ... ball is your court so to speak ...

Sugarbunz Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 4:28am
post #3 of 10

Hmm, how did you get the shape of the football? Sorry, I really misworded my post because I am in a panic and I'm tired. Basically, I need to know how to get the fondant smooth, but the head will most likely be attached to the rest of the cake when I do this (so I can't flip). So the bottom part of the head is where the pleating came in. Like, where the mouth would normally be. I wish I had a scanner, I would scan the drawing I did in. It's two layers of square cake, and then a big ole power ranger head made out of cake on top. If I do this right this will give me confidence to venture out even further, if I do this wrong I will cry for the little boy! My son told me as I was trying to carve my crummy too warm cake that "mommy, that is NOT a power ranger head". LOL, thanks kiddo. I know that. icon_wink.gif

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 4:44am
post #4 of 10

I don't have any advise, per se'; but, someone on here did the bust of a Spiderman cake. I saw it in photos, maybe whoever did that cake could give you some advise. Seems to me, it'd be easy to make a Spiderman look like a Power Ranger.

Sugarbunz Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 4:45am
post #5 of 10

Oh yes, I remember that! I thought it was awesome and asked her about it, but it was right as CC went down for maintenance so my post never made it. Thank you for reminding me, that was PERFECT!

Jessica176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica176 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 4:47am
post #6 of 10

If all else fails, where the fondant pleats, cut the pleat off and just smooth the join with your finger. Fondant is great that way, if you rub it enough it smooths out. Just try to make sure you do it either at the back or under some decorations, because although most times you can get it unnoticeable, sometimes you can see where you smoothed the join.

Is it possible to put the head on after you cover with fondant so you can try the flipping thing mentioned above? I don't know how you have planned it but if you could find a way to cover it first I'm sure it would be a whole lot easier. icon_smile.gif

DecoratingDingbat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratingDingbat Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 5:05am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica176

... I don't know how you have planned it but if you could find a way to cover it first I'm sure it would be a whole lot easier. icon_smile.gif

I have to agree, just don't forget your supports. If you can't is it possible to cover any creases with other details? - like part of the helmut features? It's been years since I've seen a Power Ranger (my boys are 19 & 21) so I just looked them up. Is it possible to use the Wilton 3D egg pan, or the wonder mold pan (? the one they use for the Barbie cakes - may have the name wrong here, I use the large Pampered Chef measuring cup for mine) Either way, you probably get the idea.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 5:21am
post #8 of 10

I did a Spiderman cake once (not as good as others on here), but the head was actually a styroform (spelling?) wig head I bought at Sally's Beauty Supply.
If you were willing to do it with the wig head you could cover it with fondant first and then attach it to the rest of the cake.

Sugarbunz Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:15pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you. I didn't know Wilton had a 3-D egg, but yes, that would be MUCH more suited to making a head I think! Unfortunately, there are not many details on power rangers helmets so it will be hard to cover up flaws. I think I'm going to start on this "head" tonight and tell them to only eat it if they like stale cake! Yeah, the supports were initially my main concern, but after my trial run last night I found that those were the least of my worries, the supports worked great!

dali120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dali120 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 3:02pm
post #10 of 10

I haven't really worked with fondant before, but can you try to cut the fondant into the shape of the head? Would that make it fit a little better? Like I said, I haven't worked with fondant, so I'm not sure if this could work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%