Does Anyone Else Think Fondant Tastes Awful?

Decorating By pancake Updated 15 Mar 2006 , 7:37am by dky

pancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pancake Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 22

icon_sad.gif I've been using the Wilton fondant because I haven't been brave enough to attempt making my own, ...the only problem is the tatse...yuck!! I've tried flavouring it, but I can't seem to get away from that weird chemical taste. any suggestions?...are there other brands to try?

21 replies
bjcakebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjcakebaker Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 22

You're right, fondant does taste awful! I started making MMF and it really doesn't taste much better. My daughter asked me the other night how marshmellows and powdered sugar could be so good and MMF be so bad!

Lelo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelo Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 22

icon_sad.gif Yes, I agree - the Wilton brand is horrible!! It tastes like play dough - I've tried a brand called Bakels that tastes like marshmellows and is pretty decent - nothing at all like the Wilton brand. I also ventured to making my own the other night from Wilton's recipe (which tastes nothing like the store bought kind) and is pretty good too. When I made my own though it was only for making acessories for the cake not for actually covering so I'm not sure how it is to work with yet in that regard. Good Luck!

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 22

I've heard of people doing fondant just for the look of it.....their customers just peel it off.

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 22

I have made my own fondant and the rolled buttercream faux fondant. All in my house agreed they liked the rolled buttercream the best taste just like real icing. I don't like fondant at all myself but love the look of it. I will have to try the MMF to see if that is to everyone's liking as I don't eat any of it anyways. lol.

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 11:15pm
post #6 of 22

I've stayed far, far away from Wilton fondant after hearing so many complaints about its flavor. I can honestly say I've never tried it!

The MMF tastes OK in my opinion. I don't love the texture of fondant combined with cake, so I usually don't eat it. I always put a generous layer of real butter buttercream under my fondant so there's icing for the guests to eat if they don't like fondant.

I tried the Pettinice fondant made by Bakels. I didn't like the flavor as much as MMF, but it was OK.

I've heard good things about Satin Ice on this site. That will be my next experiment.

ccoth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccoth Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 11:17pm
post #7 of 22

Our family and friends have liked the marshmellow fondant. I've even added flavoring and it turned out well. There are several posts in the forum on MMF with advice on how to make it...good luck

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 11:20pm
post #8 of 22

I guess I'm just weird, but I really like MMF. I put almond flavoring in it under normal circumstances, and I really like almond...so maybe that's part of the attraction. But, then again....I like circus peanuts candy, too, and I've heard people say that it reminds them of circus peanuts. I'm not that nuts about the texture on cake. IThe two textures just don't seem to go together to me. But, I think it's awfully pretty.

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 11:26pm
post #9 of 22

I too hate the taste of Wilton's fondant! My business partner and I have tried so many recipes for our own, MMF (3 types) rolled buttercream (4 types)etc but none work as well as the Wilton. We've added and changed and tried but everything is too sticky or breaks on the edges, no matter what we do!!! The MMF did taste great but we couldn't get it right. I posted the same question on one of my cakes and everyone told me Satin Ice, Fondx or Pettenice. I have yet to buy them yet but those three we the most popular!

Good Luck - let me know if you find a successful type!

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 11:32pm
post #10 of 22

Guess I'm just old fashioned. I like the buttercream icings better. I don't even like the looks of the fondant most of the time. The cakes look pretty but not appetizing to me. Just my opinion. My daughter loves working with the fondant. If you have to put buttercream under it and peel off the fondant, then what's the point. Just more work and more expense! I'll stick with the buttercream and stay in the dark ages!!!

Diane

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 11:38pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatAndHappy

I too hate the taste of Wilton's fondant! My business partner and I have tried so many recipes for our own, MMF (3 types) rolled buttercream (4 types)etc but none work as well as the Wilton. We've added and changed and tried but everything is too sticky or breaks on the edges, no matter what we do!!! The MMF did taste great but we couldn't get it right. I posted the same question on one of my cakes and everyone told me Satin Ice, Fondx or Pettenice. I have yet to buy them yet but those three we the most popular!

Good Luck - let me know if you find a successful type!

Colette Peters' fondant recipe was quite easy to work with. I had some trouble with MMF and lots of trouble with Pettinice, but Colette's recipe was easy to work with.

pancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pancake Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 11:43pm
post #12 of 22

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone, I will definitely start to experiment and make my own fondant....This website is so great! Here I am in the middle of decorating a cake, thinking "man, this nice fondant cake isn't even going to tase good! I wonder if anyone agrees!" Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

wyatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wyatt Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 11:56pm
post #13 of 22

I've never really cared for the taste of Wilton's fondant and I've tried flavoring too. I finally used all that I had and just last week made my own MMF for the first time! It turned out great, it was easy to work with and ALL the decorations were eaten off my cake with rave reviews! I like the suggestion of adding almond flavoring ~ will have to try that next. But I'm hooked on MMF! YUM! icon_smile.gif -diane

iceberg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iceberg Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 12:01am
post #14 of 22

I just got my first order of Satin Ice fondant yesterday...It tastes good surprizingly...after tasting Wilton's I was very turned off of fondant but I would definately eat Satin Ice. It tastes a little masrshmallowy.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 12:03am
post #15 of 22

I don't like the taste of it, either. And MMF may taste tons better, but I still don't like it over buttercream. It's a great medium for decorating and opens a whole new world of options, but honestly...I really don't like it. I think it just depends on your sweet tooth.

Angie

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 12:30am
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionladydi

Guess I'm just old fashioned. I like the buttercream icings better. I don't even like the looks of the fondant most of the time. The cakes look pretty but not appetizing to me. Just my opinion. My daughter loves working with the fondant. If you have to put buttercream under it and peel off the fondant, then what's the point. Just more work and more expense! I'll stick with the buttercream and stay in the dark ages!!!

Diane

lionladydi, it's funny that you say you'll stick to being old fashioned. The old fashioned way of decorating here in Australia is with fondant and royal icing, and buttercream is just now making a break through as a more modern style. Still im not making as many buttercream cakes as i'd like. The fondants in Australia are pretty ok, and affordable. I found it hard to understand why so many people on this website hated fondant,and then I tasted Wilton's . MY GOODNESS!!! It was like eating wax icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif , really disgusting!!!
I have tried one other US fondant, FondX, it is sooooooo good!!! Well i personally love it!! It is nicer to handle and so much better tasting than any other fondant i've ever had. JUST LOVE IT!!!
so from now on, when it comes to white fondant, i use nothing else but FondX.
Nati
PS: I've never heard of my customers peeling off any icing to eat the cake.

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 12:39am
post #17 of 22

Wilton fondant tastes disgusting. I have used chocopan and loved it but very pricey. I hav eused satin Ice and liked that too recently tried MMF it tastes ok kinda like circus peanuts the candy!! My step mom used to eat them all the time. It was what I thought of the minute i tried MMF

sonali00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sonali00 Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 12:42am
post #18 of 22

Wilton fondant does taste awful. I use MMF all the time and all my guests love it.

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 2:59am
post #19 of 22

I always use Mill Lane fondant from www.creativecutters.com - the chocolate is REALLY GOOD and is my fave, but the white is nice too icon_smile.gif

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 3:35am
post #20 of 22

boonenati, that is too funny. Didn't realize that about Australia. Like I always say, I learn something new on CC everytime I get on here. I don't do a lot of decorating but always do it with buttercream. Being born in Uraguay and living in Australia.........girl, you get around! I was born in California and ended up in Missouri and guess I'll be here til the good Lord calls me. Hope he isn't ready for me for a long while.

Diane

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 3:43am
post #21 of 22

Where can you get FondX?

dky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dky Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 7:37am
post #22 of 22

[/quote]
lionladydi, it's funny that you say you'll stick to being old fashioned. The old fashioned way of decorating here in Australia is with fondant and royal icing, and buttercream is just now making a break through as a more modern style. Still im not making as many buttercream cakes as i'd like. The fondants in Australia are pretty ok, and affordable. I found it hard to understand why so many people on this website hated fondant,and then I tasted Wilton's . MY GOODNESS!!! It was like eating wax icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif , really disgusting!!!
I have tried one other US fondant, FondX, it is sooooooo good!!! Well i personally love it!! It is nicer to handle and so much better tasting than any other fondant i've ever had. JUST LOVE IT!!!
so from now on, when it comes to white fondant, i use nothing else but FondX.
Nati
PS: I've never heard of my customers peeling off any icing to eat the cake.[/quote]

AGREE AGREE AGREE...

The taste here in Australia is pretty good but it does vary between brands, you need to experiment. There is one brand I tried that makes me want to be sick with the after taste but others that I can eat by the bucket. Test them out !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%