Just Wondering $$$$

Decorating By flayvurdfun Updated 25 Apr 2005 , 5:00pm by Mchelle

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 27

How much do the Wilton classes go for? I know several of you have taken them, so I would like to know the round price so I can start looking forward to it, and how long is each class????

26 replies
marknrox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknrox Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 27

The ones I took were $25 plus supplies for 4 one night classes (one class a week).

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 27

i have not taken any classes yet but i know ho wmuch course one is. At hobby lobby it is $20.00. plus you have to get the kit. however at micheals it is $20.00 and they supply the kit but you cant keep it or you buy the kit fromtheir store the day you sign up and the class is free. and by the way the kit cost $20.00 at micheals. i am not sure if it is the same way every where.

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 27

Well I have been taking classes at the Hobby Lobby in town and they run specials on the classes sometimes, the Course I class was $15.00, Course II was $25.00 and then they had another special for April and it was $12.50....of course you also have to purchase your supplies but if you've been decorating for a while, you probably have most of them. The classes are 2 hours, once a week for four weeks. I'd love to take some classes on gumpaste flowers but they aren't offered here, if I drove 2 hours to Houston, I could take classes but that's just too far! icon_cry.gif

flayvurdfun Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 27

whats in the kit???? I have lots of stuff... just wondering...those prices sound awesome I cant wait

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 27

Course I kit includes:
-flower nail #7
-tip brush
-2 standard couplers
-decorator brush
-2 featherweight bags
1 disposable bag
small straight spatula
-practice board set
Tips:
3,12,16,21,104,67 & 2D

Course II:
Tips: 1,2,5,14,47,59s/59,81,97,101,103,104
color flow packet
flower formers set
2-7 3/4" oval pans

Course III:
-Tips: 1L,32, 68,86,101s,127,349,352
-nesting heart cookie cutter set
bite size star cookie cutter
lily nail set
7" baker's best pillars and 8" bakers best plate
stamens
cake sparkles (clear)
cake dividing wheel
petite song bird ornament

If you already are a decorator it probably won't be too pricey to take the classes. For me, it cost hundreds of dollars for all 3 classes 'cause I had NOTHING. I was a total beginner, and had to go buy all the cake pans, wax paper, parchment, leveler, bags, toothpicks, colors, tool caddy, ... the list goes on and on.

Melissa icon_biggrin.gif

CIndymm4 Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 3:00pm
post #7 of 27

The kits contain the basic stuff that you would need for each course, like the course I kit has several of your basic tips, 3, 12, 16, 21, 104, 67, & 2D a flower nail, 2 standard couplers, 2 featherweight bags, a small straight spatula, a practice board......The Wilton Method is taught in the classes I'm taking, probably could go the the Wilton site and it should tell you what each Course kit contains. The Course I was pretty much a waste of my time becuase I had already taught myself the basic stuff but the store policy where I live is that you have to take Course I in order to take Course II. My instructor asked me why I was even in there and I told her they told me I had to take the class in order to take the second class.....she was unaware of that rule. I met some really nice ladies in the class and we all have stucked together and are now 2 classes away from finishing the last course so some nice friendships have been made.

flayvurdfun Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 5:11pm
post #8 of 27

ok next question....
if you have the stuff, or most of it do you still have to buy the kit????

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 5:16pm
post #9 of 27

down here you dont you just pay full price for the classes. which is no more than 30 i think.

flayvurdfun Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 5:42pm
post #10 of 27

as of right now I have lots of it. I need tip brush, decorator brush, flower former set, color flow packet, oval pans, and almost everything for course three....

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 5:51pm
post #11 of 27

i just started taking the wilton class and since i had everything i needed i did not buy the kit...which is fine. i got a special at michaels for $12.50 this month....i already knew alot of the stuff from course one but the few things that i did not know was well worth getting a baby sitter for!!
let us know how your classes go
melody

Cakeasyoulikeit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 5:56pm
post #12 of 27

Our Michaels charges $25/course. They do run specials form time to time. One month it was 50% off, another month it was buy the kit, get the course for free. Most places won't make you buy the kit if you already have the stuff. I've been decorating for years, so I didn't buy the course II stuff. Flayvurd, you don't really need the oval pans most of the time. My teacher let me just make a round cake. The "reason" for the oval is that there is a pattern in the book for putting basketweave on that oval cake, but on a scale of 1-10, if you've ever done basketweave before, it's totally unnecessary. I think flower formers are a waste of money. I just use a paper towel roll cut in half long ways if I want to form flowers. You can buy color flow by itself for about $6, which is a lot less than $25 for the kit if that's all you're missing. Your can buy a small paint brush anywhere for less than $1. And the tip brush costs $1 at Wal-Mart.

On course three, which I just finished, I thought the kit was way overpriced for what you got. I don't think the value of all the contents was $25, which is what they charged. It's the only kit I bought (didn't take course I). There are actually two versions floating around right now, the contents that someone listed on here are from the old version, but it's still being taught at some stores. By the way, before you buy your fondant for that class, check with the teacher because the book actually says you can either make the fondant cake for your final or any other design using the stuff you learned. I bought the big box of fondant and don't know what I am going to do with the rest of it!

Just remember, (and I say this knowing I may be teaching these classes in the fall), the Wilton classes are basically a big advertisement for Wilton products. And as we have been discussing with the meringue powder in the buttercream recipe, not everything they suggest is really necessary. Just use your common sense and don't throw money out the window for stuff you'll never use again if you don't have to!

Enjoy the classes...I really had a blast with course II. You can check out my course III final cake in my pictures...turned out great. Haven't been able to post course II yet. icon_smile.gif

greencargirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greencargirl Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 12:33am
post #13 of 27

Hold on!!! They hold Wilton courses at Hobby Lobby's??? I didn't know this!! We're getting a Hobby Lobby by the end of the year in town!! This is so exciting for my little town in Wisconsin and the best part is I live about 3 blocks away... I'm going to have to save some wedding money for those classes icon_smile.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 1:57am
post #14 of 27

Flayv~

I took my courses at Michael's. I was just like Melissa, I had never decorated before I took a class. I did have different size pans but no decorating tools at all. So I spent at least $500 if not more before Course 3 was over.

All courses were $25. Course 1 was 1/2 price & you had to by the kit unless you already had all the stuff you needed.
Course 2 was full price & you got the kit 1/2 off.
Course 3 was 1/2 price & you had to buy the kit. On course 3 you they told us we needed more then what was in the kit... so I bought several more items. Well now that I know my supplies it was all just a tactic to get you to buy Wilton. I don't even use a lot of the stuff I bought! What did help was that while I was taking the classes if you bought any supplies from Michael's they offered 10% off of every item you bought. And of course you had that 50% coupon that came in the mail every week. So that helped a lot! If you already have the stuff you need then you'll save lots of money!

flayvurdfun Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 5:31am
post #15 of 27

I would imagine by the time I do the classes I will have almost the rest of the stuff.... my aunt is going to give me lots of her stuff...

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 4:17am
post #16 of 27

Good! Then you will actually save money then!!

luvbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbaking Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 10:17pm
post #17 of 27

You ladies are so lucky in the US. I'm in Canada & I was told $69.99 for Course 1. I hope to start soon. It's quite expensive since supplies are extra too. This sucks!!!!! icon_cry.gif

Michelle

CIndymm4 Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 10:19pm
post #18 of 27

luvbaking....maybe you could just order the course books through Wilton first and see how you do....they have very detailed instructions...... I might try that before paying $70.00 for each course.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 10:21pm
post #19 of 27

I took Course I and II which each cost me $25 each.... The last course I took through Michael's and I got it for half price. Cost me $12.50 for the 4 one night (2 hours each) classes. Supplies can be kind of pricey, but to me, it's been worth it icon_smile.gif

luvbaking Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 10:49pm
post #20 of 27

Not a bad idea at all especially since I've done some cakes on my own including 2 barbie stand up cakes so I do have a pretty good idea....The only problem is i don't know what the Course Books are. If you guys can tell me the names of the books I need maybe I can go from there.

Thanks for your help.

Michelle icon_smile.gif

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 10:52pm
post #21 of 27

If you are talking about Wilton the are Just course I, course II, Course III. Some micheals do not sell them but some do. YOu might find them at hobby lobby, but your best bet would be ebay.

CIndymm4 Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 11:27pm
post #22 of 27

The booklets cost about $5.00 each at Hobby Lobby, so you can use that as a guide if you decide to go the eBay route.

luvbaking Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 6:02pm
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIndymm4

The booklets cost about $5.00 each at Hobby Lobby, so you can use that as a guide if you decide to go the eBay route.

CIndymm4, Sorry If i sound stupid but is "Hobby Lobby" a store on ebay? I've never purchased anything off ebay this is why i'm so ignorant of the fact icon_redface.gif
Please explain...thanks.

Michelle

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 6:04pm
post #24 of 27

[quote="
CIndymm4, Sorry If i sound stupid but is "Hobby Lobby" a store on ebay? I've never purchased anything off ebay this is why i'm so ignorant of the fact icon_redface.gif
Please explain...thanks.

Michelle[/quote]

No, Hobby lobby is a craft store. If you are looking for them on ebay just do a search for wilton. A lot of stuff will come up but that is probably the easiest way to find them.

luvbaking Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 6:09pm
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeconfections

[quote="
Please explain...thanks.

Michelle

No, Hobby lobby is a craft store. If you are looking for them on ebay just do a search for wilton. A lot of stuff will come up but that is probably the easiest way to find them.[/quote]

Thanks a bunch Becky! Yes, you're right my best bet might be ebay since I'm in Canada & I don't think we have Hobby Lobby here.
icon_wink.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 7:14pm
post #26 of 27

I took my Wilton classes at Hobby Lobby, and it was $25 plus the price of the kit ($0 or $25). They gave us each a voucher for a % (can't remember how much) off any cake decorating items (not only Wilton) in the store for the duration of the class. I bought things the night of class more than once and stopped in other times when I was in town. For the second class the voucher was good for one time only and that was the first night of class. I had no extra cash that night so they said I ould use it the next time. That made NO sense. I let my instructor know that they were losing a LOT of business that way. I never did use my voucher. I bought everything I needed at another store closer to home. I could never figure out what they could have been thinking by making that change. If I take another class it won't be at HL. However, there IS a Michaels just 30 mi away now. Ü

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 5:00pm
post #27 of 27

I took the classes at Joann and they were 12.50 (with the coupon) and I bought the mid size tool kit and it was 25 dollars(with the coupon). There is a local cake decorating store and they have classes too, and they are much more, but they have everything you could imagine for classes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%