Cracking Buttercream Dream

Decorating By maddyscreations Updated 28 Mar 2007 , 12:01am by maddyscreations

maddyscreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddyscreations Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 6:32pm
post #1 of 15

Why does my buttercream dream crack after being smoothed on the cake?

14 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 15

Do you use water to thin your icing? Someone else just posted something like this and it seems like the consensus was that is you use heavy cream or milk to thin your icing instead, it helps it to not crack.

maddyscreations Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 15

I always use Milk!

Diesel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Diesel Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 15

I always use milk and it works great.

Could it maybe be your support??? The only time I ever had a problem with it cracking I realized it was my support of the cake itself. I now use masonite boards when I can or I use 4 cardboard cake circles for an 8 or 10 inch cake.

maddyscreations Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 15

I'm alittle confused how would you use 4 cake circle if it is a stacked cake? The worst cracking happens when I do full sheet cakes on the heavy boards. Is this the way it is with most buttercreams?

NanciY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanciY Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 15

A buttercream cake that I did last summer was so brittle that the buttercream shattered like glass when the bride cut it! Talk about embarrassing! I had used half and half to cut it, but when I was putting it together and finishing it, they had me next to a running dishwasher, and ran another load after I'd left. It was also August and humid as heck. That is the only reason I can think of for this, as I always use the same recipe and have never had that problem before or since. Has anyone else ever had that happen? Or have any other ideas as to why? It would figure that this was the first cake I'd ever charged for. I ended up refunding half the price, as she was really upset, but it was the embarrassment that I minded most.

Diesel Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 7:13pm
post #7 of 15

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I use multiple cake circles as my cakeboard. I tape them together and then cover them with fancy foil, etc. For sheet cakes I always use the masonite board as they are extremely strong.

I would try using milk or heavy cream in the recipe and make sure you have enough support. I live in Cincinnati and it gets really humid here and I've never had it crack. I did have it bubble but that was due to an airpocket in my cake!

maddyscreations Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 7:24pm
post #8 of 15

Are the masonite boards expensive cause I do 4 or 5 sheets a week and never get boards back? Should I try the heavy cream instead of regular milk?

MeloMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeloMiMi Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 7:25pm
post #9 of 15

My cakes crack when the cake board doesn't support it. Is buttercream dream different from regular buttercream?

ssink1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssink1 Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 7:29pm
post #10 of 15

If you use milk in your icing, can it set out or does it have to be refrigerated? If it can set out, how long?

Diesel Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 7:29pm
post #11 of 15

I haven't tried the heavy cream yet as milk usually works fine for me. Just don't use skim milk, either 2% or vitamin D. I got my masonite boards for anywhere between $3-$6. I covered mine in contact paper with a sign on them to return to me. I usually charge a $5 deposit for them upfront so if it's not returned I can go get another one.

Diesel Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 7:31pm
post #12 of 15

It can really sit out overnight. I think the longest I have left mine out is 24 hours. Usually, I will make it and put it in the fridge and then pull it out the following morning and let it get up to room temp.

maddyscreations Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 11:18pm
post #13 of 15

I'm alittle worried I have a 4 tier stacked bridal shower cake this weekend and I really don't want my buttercream dream to crack, I had a real problem with it on my last stacked wedding cake any suggestions or any other good BC recipes?

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 11:26pm
post #14 of 15

I've read here that someone uses a few drops of vinegar in their BC to prevent cracking. You can't taste it. I haven't tried it, though, but thought I'd pass the info along.

maddyscreations Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 12:01am
post #15 of 15

Thanks for the replys, I started a post about the vinegar to see if I can find anyone who has tried it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%