Need Ideas For Mary Tyler Moore (Show) Birthday Cake-Please!

Decorating By bakersofcakes Updated 14 Mar 2006 , 4:31am by bakersofcakes

bakersofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakersofcakes Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 2:30am
post #1 of 6

I have to have this cake for my SIL by Wednesday. Thought about Mary's hat (that she throws up in the air), but don't know how to make it look realistic. Also thought about the "M" she hung on her wall. I'm NOT an artist, unfortunately. thumbsdown.gif This also has to all be buttercream icing. Any ideas would really be appreciated.

TIA,
bakersofcakes icon_smile.gif

5 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 2:42am
post #2 of 6

Could you make the M out of royal icing? That could be pretty, maybe dusted with some luster dust if you have it. I couldn't find a good image of the hat to get an idea of how to make that!

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 2:51am
post #3 of 6

I'd go with the "M" also. When Mary and Rhoda had a new sitcom several years ago, reuniting their characters in Manahattan instead of Minneapolis, Mary hung her "M" in her new apartment and made a toast to the "M" and said "To new beginnings" which might be a cute saying on the cake as well.

bakersofcakes Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 3:32am
post #4 of 6

Thanks!

Dodibug, how do you make the royal icing? With Meringue Powder? Don't have any luster dust. Is royal icing done by doing the outline & then filling in with the (really runny) icing?

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 6

Here is a link to a recipe for RI.

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/icing/royal.cfm

Sorry it took so long to get back to this. My computer was posessed today! Maybe you can find a image of the M, print it, and then trace and fill in with the RI!

bakersofcakes Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 4:31am
post #6 of 6

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%