Which Is The Best Gumpaste?

Decorating By BakingGirl Updated 2 May 2008 , 10:31am by Tona

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 2:03pm
post #1 of 21

I have only ever used Wilton's ready made gumpaste. I am about to do an order of supplies, so I thought I would get other people's opinion on which gumpaste they think is the best. Do you make your own, do you use it in powder form, or do you have a different favorite brand? Is there a great place to buy gumpaste and fondant?

20 replies
missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 21

I actually like the Wilton ready-made gum paste--it is just a pain in the butt to get it out of that silly pouch! I also like--and prefer Satin Ice Gum Paste. It is great to work with--oh and it tastes good too! icon_razz.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I'm too lazy to make my own. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 2:14pm
post #3 of 21

I really like satin ice brand and I love Nicholas Lodge's recipe for making my own.

BakingGirl Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 21

Where do you buy Satin Ice gumpaste? I would be interested in trying both that and the Satin Ice fondant.

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 21

I recently tried Satin Ice gumpaste to make baby booties and I loved it! I would definitley recommend this although, I haven't tried others yet so I have nothing to compare it to.

You can buy it here from cake central. icon_biggrin.gif I actually found mine at Sur La Table (a store at my local mall, it is a chain store).

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 2:49pm
post #6 of 21

I also started make the nick lodge gumpaste. It was easy!

2sdae Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 2:49pm
post #7 of 21

some local cake shops carry it and tons of on line shops do too.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 3:10pm
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sdae

I really like satin ice brand and I love 's recipe for making my own.

can you use wilton's gum tex in place of the tylose in nick lodges recipe? its just easier for me to get a hold of than tylose powder.

2sdae Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 3:49pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa

I also started make the nick lodge gumpaste. It was easy!

Hey Merissa, can you use gum tex instead of tylose? For the Nicholas Lodge recipe?
beccakelly,
I never have but I guess you could always try or get on his site and email him. He's answered my questions before pretty quick.

tracy702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracy702 Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 3:57pm
post #10 of 21

You can order Nick's gumpaste from CK Products. It comes in a pouch just like the Wilton Gumpaste - but it already has Tylose in it.

If CK Products isn't a vendor you order from - you might ask your current vendor if they can get it for you.

PaulaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulaT Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 4:02pm
post #11 of 21

Hi,
I purchased Satin Ice gumpaste along with the fondant. It's wonderful to use and I purchased it on-line from IntoTheOven.com. Once again, it tastes good too. Pretty good prices and very fast delivery. icon_wink.gif

2sdae Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 4:02pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracy702

You can order Nick's gumpaste from CK Products. It comes in a pouch just like the Wilton Gumpaste - but it already has Tylose in it.

If CK Products isn't a vendor you order from - you might ask your current vendor if they can get it for you.

On their site it says you have to be a business to order from them.

tracy702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracy702 Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 5:09pm
post #13 of 21

You do have to have a business to order from CK Products.

Sorry I didn't mention that.

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 5:12pm
post #14 of 21

I find that making your own is better. Good recipes out there. The one you make I think drys quicker.

BakingGirl Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 5:54pm
post #15 of 21

Thank you all for your replies, very helpful. I guess the best way of finding out what works well for me is to try a few out, so I will branch out and buy SatinIce this time.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 6:00pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaT

Hi,
I purchased Satin Ice gumpaste along with the fondant. It's wonderful to use and I purchased it on-line from IntoTheOven.com. Once again, it tastes good too. Pretty good prices and very fast delivery. icon_wink.gif

i just looked at intotheoven.com, and it does have good prices on the satin ice gumpaste! i may have to order some. does it come bright white in color? i want to make some white flowers for an easter cake, so thats why im asking. i don't have white paste food color so i may have to order some if its not already white.

2sdae Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 6:10pm
post #17 of 21

yes, it is a bright white color already!

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 6:17pm
post #18 of 21

I get my Satin Ice from Pfeil and Holing

Avaie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Avaie Posted 1 May 2008 , 8:57pm
post #19 of 21

I had the hardest time with Satin Ice for making flowers.. it was just TOO gummy and fell over too easy. My favorite so far is Wilton, but I'm wanting to explore with others..

2sdae Posted 2 May 2008 , 10:08am
post #20 of 21

try adding tylose to your gum paste and it dries harder and quicker.

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 2 May 2008 , 10:31am
post #21 of 21

I make my own using Nick Lodge receipe it is easy to do and saves lots of $. It keeps well also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%