Lightning Mcqueen-My Directions

Decorating By springlakecake Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 6:49pm by TamathaV

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 24

I have had a few people ask me how I did my lightning mcqueen cake so I thought it might be easier to post them here so I dont have to re write the directions...call me lazy!

The spoiler was made ahead of time with fondant/gumpaste
Wheels were made from rice crispy treats covered with fondant

I used an 11x15 sheetcake that I cut in half along the 15 inch side and stacked. I then trimmed it to be 11x 6 and 4 inches high. (actually a 12x12 pan would be perfect, but i dont own one)

Carve frozen cake into lightning mcqueen shape

I cut out an area for the wheels using a round cut out shape and scooping out the cake with a spoon.

Cover cake with red mmf. I cut out the fondant for the windshield and pushed the white fondant under it slightly because it just didnt look right when I tried to lay it on top of the red. (there is probably a better way of doing this by maybe layering the fondant? Like putting a parchment between and cutting red away and pulling out the parchment? Maybe someone else has a good answer.)

complete decorations!
LL

23 replies
robinleah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinleah Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 24

Thanks for posting. I have a nephew who would love this.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 1:55pm
post #3 of 24

Thank you for sharing how you did this.. it really is an awesome cake.. my son loved the picture. icon_biggrin.gif

Lexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lexy Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 24

Thank you for sharing. It really is a wonderful cake

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 24

Woot! Thank you for taking the time to share this with us=) Jen

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 7:34pm
post #6 of 24

This is a fabulous cake. Perfectly done and your instructions are spot on in my book! thumbs_up.gif

pink_bunny03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pink_bunny03 Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 24

my son saw it on the screen and started jump up and down saying

mommy, make me that cake I want it for dinner tonight!

thats really funny

I think it looks amazing. I hope to be that good one day!
thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

springlakecake Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 12:01pm
post #8 of 24

You are welcome, let me know if you have any more questions!

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 4:53pm
post #9 of 24

wow, that cake is perfectly done! Thanks for the instructions on it. I still don't think I could do quite that well. You're a true artisticon_biggrin.gif

carorodrigues Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carorodrigues Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 6:51pm
post #10 of 24

just thank you for the instructions....I love your cake!!!

springlakecake Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 11:55am
post #11 of 24

I guess I could say that I made the decorations from mmf. I freehanded the lightning bolt on paper to fit and cut two. The logo on top I used a round cut out shape and used royal icing for the writing. I used the number cutouts for the 95. They were a little small,but easier! I used royal icing on the wheels and spoiler as well. Various sized round cut out and icing tips were used for other circle shapes for the eyes and details for the wheels. Hope that clarifies more questions!

Amy83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy83 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:21pm
post #12 of 24

a fantastic job, my son would go crazy icon_lol.gif

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 1:36pm
post #13 of 24

Nicely done. Thank you for sharing.

star_nikuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
star_nikuki Posted 26 May 2007 , 7:54pm
post #14 of 24

Ive been freaking out about making my first sculpted cake (my daughter is having a luau themed birthday party, and she wanted a cake in the shape of a pig with an apple in its mouth). I never would have thought about freezing the cake. . .i hope i dont sound stupid, but is there any special way to do that? or do you just stick the cake in the freezer? Your cakes are absolutely beautiful

Rosie_from_MD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie_from_MD Posted 27 May 2007 , 12:42am
post #15 of 24

WOW! Your cake is amazing!! icon_eek.gif

glad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glad Posted 27 May 2007 , 3:47am
post #16 of 24

Thanks for the instructions. Your cake is beautiful!

springlakecake Posted 27 May 2007 , 11:11am
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by star_nikuki

Ive been freaking out about making my first sculpted cake (my daughter is having a luau themed birthday party, and she wanted a cake in the shape of a pig with an apple in its mouth). I never would have thought about freezing the cake. . .i hope i dont sound stupid, but is there any special way to do that? or do you just stick the cake in the freezer? Your cakes are absolutely beautiful

I often freeze my cakes. I wrap them in saran wrap and then in foil. They remain fresh for several months that way. You probably dont have to do all that if you are only going to freeze it for a couple of hours though. Then carve the cake frozen.

(on a side note ,If you want to defrost the cake, I leave all of the wrapping on it so the condensation forms on the outside of the foil)

Nicki24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicki24 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 5:01pm
post #18 of 24

do you have any tips for carving the cake. i want to make this for my sons birthday party this sunday. i have never made a 3D cake or used fondant befor. ANY tips you have would be awesome and most appreciated!! you cake is WONDERFUL!!! thumbs_up.gif

springlakecake Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 6:21pm
post #19 of 24

I like to carve my cakes frozen. It helps to have a nice dense cake too, like a pound cake. I would only use fillings that wont slide or seep out the sides when you carve. I use buttercream or ganache.

I think it really is important to plan out your carving ahead of time. Draw it out on paper and decide how wide,high etc your cake needs to be.

Just do little bits at a time. It is a lot easier to take more off than to put it back on.

Use a nice serrated knife.

Nicki24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicki24 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 9:34pm
post #20 of 24

thank so much for the tips!! when you say filling i must admit i got a little frightened. i have never done this so ALL of it is new. until now, i know how to bake a cake, frost it and i can do BASIC decorations. how thick should the filling be? how thick should each layer be? also, do you have any suggestions for coloring the fondant? food coloring or the little jars you see at the craft store? I am such a rookie at all of this!! i appreciate all of your help!! icon_lol.gif

springlakecake Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 12:02am
post #21 of 24

Well I baked a 2 inch high sheet cake, but then i cut it in half, added the buttercream (this is my "filling") so now the cake is 4 inches tall. You dont need a lot of fillings or icing between the layers. 1/4 is generally enough. You can get away with a little more if it is icing or ganache (something that wont seep out of the cake). You can also torte your layers into 1 inch layers, but for this I just kept it 2 inch layers.

You can color your fondant with the colors made for icing. Like wilton (in the craft store) or americolor that you can buy online. It is difficult to achieve deep colors like red, black etc. I did make the fondant for the Lightning Mcqueen, but it was challenging. From now on i will just buy it precolored (like satin ice)

Another option (if you feel that this might be too challenging for a rookie) would be to get the 3D cruiser pan (wilton) and pipe with buttercream. It is easier to make the colors too.

Verina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Verina Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 9:39am
post #22 of 24

WOW - thanks for the instructions!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 10:03am
post #23 of 24

ARRGGGG ! I wish I had seen these instructions before I attempted mine this past weekend !

TamathaV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamathaV Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:49pm
post #24 of 24

You Rock! Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%