Lace Stencils?

Decorating By JStar Updated 31 Jul 2011 , 3:25pm by ibmoser

JStar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JStar Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 16

Hey Guys!

A couple of months ago I saw on a food network challenge about cakes. This one lady had covered a cake in fondant then used a bendy lace patterned stencil and roughly brushed buttercream over it. Then gently removed the stencil and the effect was soooo pretty. I would love to do this for a cake I have coming up. Anyone ever done anything like that or know where to get those bendy lace stencils??

Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

15 replies
kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 16

I don't know about the "bendy lace stencils" but I do this all the time. I just buy stencils in the scrapbook section of the craft store. I would love to see the program you saw, but alas I don't have cable or direct TV.

JStar Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 16

Great idea! Do they bend enought to use on the sides of a round cake? That's the main thing! It was a great show - her cake came out so pretty!

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 16

The stencil she used is most likely from a craft store. they have tons and yes they bend. Just use stiff royal and apply.

JStar Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 16

Ohh yes! Royal icing!! FABULOUS! Thanks guys, I can't wait to try this out. Don't you just love it when clients give you total freedom on the design??

jbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbaker Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 10:04pm
post #6 of 16

JStar :

You can find the stencils on line @ www.countrykitchensa.com - they also have a great catalog - it costs a few dollars but if you place an order with them the price of the catalog goes toward your order. Hope this helps.

jbaker icon_smile.gif

JStar Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 16

Awesome!! Thankyou!

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 10:35pm
post #8 of 16

That is a great web-site I found a lot of different items there.

Badeerah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Badeerah Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 10:42pm
post #9 of 16

I don't know whether you were watching last night, but I think it aired again last night. Yeah they said that she was using royal icing, and being as though I almost live in the craft store, icon_lol.gif I can tell you that is definitely where she got the stencil from. They have a large variety of all kinds of designs. Hope this helped icon_biggrin.gif

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 12:15am
post #10 of 16

Do you just paint the royal or buttercream icing over the stencil, then remove the stencil?

Jamie4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamie4kids Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 7:11pm
post #11 of 16

I am planning on making a wedding cake with a whipped topping and want to add a lace look to the cake... how could I do this with a stencil? I am not sure if using a stencil and adding more topping on top of the stencil would work... I have a feeling it will just peel right off with the stencil... any other suggestions?

addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 7:46pm
post #12 of 16

Stenciling over a fondant cake is much easier than on a buttercream frosted cake. The buttercream must be well crusted before stenciling. I do not think you can stencil over a whipped non-crusted frosting unless you use an air-brush.

Jamie4kids Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 8:01pm
post #13 of 16

That is what I was thinking... I was gonna get one of those wilton sprays... I just don't know if they sell them in the color I am looking for... do you have any other suggestions instead of a stencil?

Jamie4kids Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 8:02pm
post #14 of 16

I also thought of making some lace "pieces" out of fondant and putting them on there, but I am afraid they would be too heavy for the whipped topping.

addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 1:40am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie4kids

I also thought of making some lace "pieces" out of fondant and putting them on there, but I am afraid they would be too heavy for the whipped topping.

What about using toothpicks to hold the lace pieces in place on your whipped frosting? Is that an option? You would need to the cake cutter to remove all lace pieces and supports.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 3:25pm
post #16 of 16

Check out the food grade stencils here made for cakes, etc

http://www.designerstencils.com/CULINARY-STENCILS-C11.aspx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%