Cake Shrinkage

Decorating By IHATEFONDANT Updated 26 Mar 2007 , 10:45pm by alibugs

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 7

A cake buddy of mine, who lives in Florida and who doesn't won a computer.. icon_confused.gif ..is having troubles with a new recipe she is using.

It is a yellow cake..she has to add beaten egg whites to the main batter. She uses the Wilton cake release on the sides of the pan and lines them with parchment.

She says her cakes seem to "shrink" after she removes them from the oven. The sides pull away so they aren't perfectly round or square anymore.

I've never had this problem and don't know what to tell her to do.

I thought maybe she isn't baking them long enough? But she says the tester comes out clean..so she knows they are done. She has also tried greasing the pan and dusting with flour. Same result.

Anyone else use a yellow recipe with beaten egg whites added? Maybe that is the problem? Seems it must be.

6 replies
moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 1:21am
post #2 of 7

It sounds like a genoise or a torte recipe. If it is a torte recipe it will shrink to almost half the baked size. Even genoise has the tendecy to do this also in my experience.

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 8:30am
post #3 of 7

i agree with Moydear. In my experience whipped egg white recipes tend to shrink a lot. Wish I knew a solution to that because it can get annoying

IHATEFONDANT Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 11:03am
post #4 of 7

I talked to her last night.

She said the recipe is from Sylvia Weinstock....the yellow cake recipe.

Anyone ever use that one?

I'm thinking the same..the cake is "fragile" and sinks back once taken out of the oven.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 11:41am
post #5 of 7

I don't have this recipe in front of me, but the European cakes I make shrink by almost a third. They don't use baking powder - just egg whites for "fluff" and they do really, really shrink. My cupcakes I made this weekend from a European walnut cake recipe shrunk to almost the size of a mini cupcake, like a size between full cupcake and mini. So, if she uses stiff egg whites, this is probably the reason.

Melissa

IHATEFONDANT Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 10:38pm
post #6 of 7

I'll have to let her know.

I wish she would get a computer so she could come here and do this stuff herself. icon_lol.gif

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 10:45pm
post #7 of 7

I think it is o.k. still. Have her try putting towel over the top. My sides always pull from the sides.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%