Have I Made This Too Complicated? Re:price Guide On Website

Business By MikeRowesHunny Updated 10 Mar 2006 , 2:12am by sugartopped

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 9:06am
post #1 of 12

I've put a pricing guide on my website, but I'm a bit worried that I've made it too complicated for the average customer to work out! Please take a look and give me your opinions on whether it's OK or how I could make it more simple to understand! Thanks in advance:

http://www.freewebs.com/queeniescakes

11 replies
vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 10:59am
post #2 of 12

WOW, you offer alot of choices. Cute cakes!

Not sure if you have the prices based on formula's but I would put basic prices and then something like, "so much extra" for fondant, per slice or serving. Does that make sense? I'm sure that alot of people on this site that have web pages could offer you some tips.

ps. love your CC name!!!!

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 12

Your prices at least give them an idea. I would continue the headers down for each section. There are so many choices and it's hard to scroll back up to see what each column is.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 1:13pm
post #4 of 12

Good points guys! Thanks! Any more opinions welcome icon_biggrin.gif

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 12

first off i would like to say....LOVE the name!! Since Bon Jovi is MY husband though....we may have issues!! icon_lol.gif

just my opinion...when I opened the price page I thought it was a bit overwhelming. It was easy to navigate through and find the price....but still ALOT of info!!

is there any way to just put the cake shape w/a starting price...then on the flavor options make a note that sponge, mud, carrot cakes, etc have an additional charge. and then just put a starting price for fondant/chocolate/ganache & handcrafted flowers??

does that make sense?? i'll try to find a site that has an example of what I'm talking about...if that would help.

christine

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 12

I like the idea and I don't think it's hard to follow. It will give your customers a good guide to follow to get general ideas about what you charge and how you charge. icon_lol.gif

I wanted to tell you that when I was in college I worked for Hallmark stores and often had women tell me they couldn't read light colors against a white background. Hallmark had published some cards that just wouldn't sell for that reason alone. Especially women over 50 would tell me this. Something about aging eyes makes it hard. I've always remembered this. I wonder if it would be a good idea to change your pink text on your homepage to black or a deeper pink? It would be easier to read. I'm 34 and even I found it uncomfortable to read the light pink text. Anyway, hope you don't mind this bit of advice, I know you didn't ask for it. icon_redface.gif Love your site, just want to share this information with you! icon_lol.gif

You can critique my sites too if you want too! On my blog, I even have some of the light pink against white going on! I'd just steer away from it a little. icon_wink.gif

Best wishes for your continued success in the world of cake decorating! thumbs_up.gif

MikeRowesHunny Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 12

Ok, you guys are people who live in the world of baking, so if it's hard for you, I don't wanna think what the average Joe (or Josephine!) might make of it icon_confused.gif ! I've work to do tonight then - thanks for your input folks!

sugartopped Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 5:29pm
post #8 of 12

I don't think it was hard and you're on the right track. I like it when a site that lists the prices.....But for the average cutomer I think they would like a quick reference or guide. The more detailed pricing can be discuessed when the order is placed. there is a website I have saved on my home computer that has pricing list I like. When i get home I'll send you the link. They go into detail about the starting price of cakes, gumpaste, fondant, chocolate....but just list the starting price. So a fondant covered cake starts at $XX.XX. The customer still gets an idea of what different aspects of the cake will cost....but the list is still just a quick pricing guide. Final price will be determined when the order is placed. If you do something like this you will want to make you state that the final price is determined by difficulty, size, etc. Sometimes people don't read and will only focus on the price listed......so if they order something that is difficult or time consuming....they know the price will be more than what you listed!!

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 5:33pm
post #9 of 12

Pinkbunny, When you find the link can you post it here so we can all check it out? Thanks! icon_lol.gif

sugartopped Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 6:02pm
post #10 of 12

yeah, I'll post the link in here!!

MikeRowesHunny Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 6:46pm
post #11 of 12

Thank you pinkbunny - I'll look forward to seeing that thumbs_up.gif

sugartopped Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 2:12am
post #12 of 12

here are two sites where the pricing is fairly easy & straight forward...

http://justkakes.tripod.com/interest.htm#Sizes%20of%20the%20Cake,%20Servings%20per%20cake,%20Cost%20of%20each%20cake

http://www.nicolesfinedining.com/cakes.html#prices

hope this helps a bit and gives you some ideas!!

christine

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%