Straight Cut Around Edges Of Fondant Cake???? Help

Decorating By tobycat Updated 9 Mar 2006 , 9:22am by diane

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 6:38am
post #1 of 7

I finally got down the MMF recipe to a good consistency -- enough to attempt my first practice cake with it. Then, when I needed to cut around the edges, they turned out all jagged and not very pretty. I ended up curling them under the cake a bit and then hiding them with a rope/roses. I am doing a square fondant wedding cake in May, and all it will have is a bead border. This will probably be enough to cover any mistakes/rough edges, but my question is

How on earth do you cut the edges evenly???

6 replies
reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 6:49am
post #2 of 7

Alot of people use the pizza slicer to do it, but I have done it by lifting the cake to eye level and basicly pinching it off by pressing the access fondant against the cake board to cut it. Might try that and see how it works for you.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 7:04am
post #3 of 7

Pizza cutter all the way for me!

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 7:48am
post #4 of 7

Pizza cutters prevent the fondant from being dragged, like cut with a knife. I actually sometimes do cut with a knife, but the cake is lifted up off the counter and then cut level with the base of the cake board. Works okay, but I always forget to use the pizza cutter! I'll try that next time icon_smile.gif

My tip (that I got off this wonderful site!) is to raise the cake up off the counter to let the fall nicely down the side of the cake and the excess "folds" form below the cake board. It helps decrease the bulkiness at the base of the cake. I tried that with my cross cake (in my photos), and with all the corners, I kid you not, it was one of the easiest fondant covering jobs I ever did! Also, smooth the corners first, then work towards middle of each side icon_smile.gif

HTH!

Mirjana

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 8:04am
post #5 of 7

I will definitely try the pizza cutter and the falling idea.

How do you start the cut without causing the fondant to pull on the rest of the cake?

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 8:42am
post #6 of 7

You should be okay to just press into the fondant to cut it through, then roll.

Mirjana

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 9:22am
post #7 of 7

the same thing happened to me yesterday. i found that when fondant is soft it does this, so i let it dry and then cut...had no problems then. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%