What Would You Suggest For Second-Graders To Play With?

Decorating By LittleLinda Updated 9 Mar 2006 , 5:12pm by Schmoop

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 9

My friend is a second grade teacher. I recently made a cake with a candy clay figure on it. She asked for the recipe for her students to play with in school. I told her it was too greasy for them to work with. I know rolled buttercream is also very greasy. What do you guys suggest?

8 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 9

Marshmallow fondant is fun to play with! icon_biggrin.gif

bakersofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakersofcakes Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 9

Well, I made non-toxic playdough (from water, flour, cream of tartar, etc.) for kids to play with. If a child eats it they won't get sick or anything, but it's not really for eating. I used peppermint extract which really smells great & you can make it right in the class (I did just that) & the kids take the whitish colored playdough & knead in the color of their choice. Store it in a ziploc bag. Keeps great & easily cleans up off of the floor. PM me if you want the recipe. It's super easy & the kids all loved it!!!

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 9:09pm
post #4 of 9

My kids play with my MMF that I don't use...they love the colors I use! Make sure the kids use cornstarch to prevent sticking to their hands and work surface. My kids tend to lick the table and their hands when I let them use P. Sugar. Which gets them real sugared up and it gets messy!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 9

definitely go with the MMF....sooooooooo much fun to play with, makes me feel like I'm 5 again everytime I make a cake LOL

SavannahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SavannahJane Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 6:16am
post #6 of 9

Candy Clay from the wilton book??

reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 6:20am
post #7 of 9

I would say MMF if they're gonna eat it later but the Wilton fondant if it's just for play.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 12:56pm
post #8 of 9
Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 5:12pm
post #9 of 9

My kids play with the candy clay too, it seems be alittle messier than the MMF, but that could be how I made it. I don't have much experience with homemade Candy Clay. We have also used the store bought stuff and the kids don't seem to like it as much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%