Discoloration In Fake Cakes

Decorating By bbybe Updated 9 Mar 2006 , 6:09pm by Lightning

bbybe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbybe Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 5

Hello fellow cake lovers, I have a question that I hope someone can answer.

I have a customer who wants the top tier of their wedding cake to be fake, so
that they can have it as a keepsake.

That is no problem to do.

The problem is.... I would like to know how to keep the fondant and royal icing decorations from discoloring (turning yellowish)

I had made some fake cake samples for myself about 5 years ago and for the first few years the color stayed the same. but looking at them the other day I wondered when did the icing turn yellow and how can i prevent this?

The rolled fondant pretty much stayed true to the original color, but the royal icing turned a real awful shade of yellow.

Is there some ingredient I can put in the royal icing? some spray I can put on? Does anybody have the answers??

I would appreciate any tips you can give me!!

Thanks!

4 replies
elliott1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliott1 Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 5

i've never done it before, but someone, somewhere on this site (I think) mentioned making the icing for dummy or show cakes out of wall spackling. They said that you can "frost" the dummy cake smooth, tint and decorate just like regular icing, it just dries hard, and obviously not edible. I'm not sure if the colors last though?

Just an idea?

Holly

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 5

I think that sounds like a pretty good idea..........I have also heard that people do use a spray varnish after everything has set up really well!!!!!!!!! Haven't tried it myself....I have used the spray varnish on gumpaste flowers though......I made the cake in my avatar for my daughter's 2nd Birthday and we kept some of the flowers for her baby box....but it's only been about a year....they haven't changed whatsoever ....but who's to say if they will last forever

NightIcer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NightIcer Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I think that sounds like a pretty good idea..........I have also heard that people do use a spray varnish after everything has set up really well!!!!!!!!! Haven't tried it myself....I have used the spray varnish on gumpaste flowers though......I made the cake in my avatar for my daughter's 2nd Birthday and we kept some of the flowers for her baby box....but it's only been about a year....they haven't changed whatsoever ....but who's to say if they will last forever

KHalstead....I have kept some of my 'extra' wedding gumpaste flowers that I've made, for several years. I've had them in a Zip Lock bags, inside a 'dry' counter that had glass doors. They are in great shape. thumbs_up.gif As long as they didn't get exposed to our high humidity, they have held up very well. All this is in our walk-out basement. None of them were sprayed w/ varnish, though. Our basement air-conditioning went out, for a couple of weeks, in the hot summer. All the flowers and separate bow loops, in the plastic bags were fine. But... I had a big gumpaste bow, in a cake box, also stored in the dry counter. I noticed that it had flatened (sp. ?) out a bit; enough that I didn't want to use it.

May I ask, what type/ brand of varnish did you use on the gumpaste flowers? I have a small dummy tier that I am decorating and adding my former bride's original gumpaste flowers, which I made for her wedding cake topper 3 years ago. I was going to use royal icing and fondant on the little tier.... then insert the G.P. flowers, and let the whole thing dry. I am thinking that spaying a varnish on the G.P. flowers sounds like a good idea. Spackling the tier sounds good to me, too; instead of using fondant and royal icing.

The MOB brought me a big glass dome, w/ wood base, for me to put all this in. Do I need to put a dessicant in the dome to keep down any humidity? I live in the South. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks icon_smile.gif

bbybe.... Have you considered a glass dome to preserve the top tier? My MOB bought her daughter's at Hobby Lobby (craft store). They had the best prices. The glass dome is 12" tall and the base is 3/4" high. I think she only paid approximately $26. Good price we thought. icon_biggrin.gif

Lightning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lightning Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 5

I havent tried it myself, but I've heard that if you add cornstarch/flour to the icing the color won't turn. Obviously it'll ruin flavor, but oh well if it's fake. Hope it helps icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%