High Ratio Shortening

Baking By AimeeA Updated 18 Apr 2005 , 5:24pm by flayvurdfun

AimeeA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AimeeA Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 16

Good morning All
I made a recipe (for icing) last night that asked for HIGH RATIO shortening, what is that and where do I find it? I used Crisco, because it said that I could use vegatable shortening instead. It was not great, but I am wondering if it was because I did not use the high ratio shortening.

Thanks

Aimee A icon_sad.gif

15 replies
pastrypuffgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypuffgirl Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 16

high ratio shortening is like a step up from crisco. It emulsifies with any liquids better and creates a lighter product. It also keeps the icing from seperating. I have found it at online stores, unless you have a good bakery supply store around. Hope that explains it. thumbs_up.gif

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 16

Most of your cake supply stores carry it or can get it- even if they don't advertise it. Many times simply you have to ask of they carry it and most of the time I find they do. It is much more expensive per pound, but well worth it. It can only be used in cakes, pastries, pies, things such as that.

I found a couple of on-line sources with better prices.

I just gave a great priced source to ladycakes (It was almost $30 cheaper with shipping) but apparently I did not save the link. Hopefully she'll see this and post the info.

Here's another source that was just $5 more:

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/index.cfm/S/13/CLID/145/N/698/P_&_G_OILS_-_Baking_Fats_&_Shortenings.htm

AimeeA Posted 17 Apr 2005 , 12:53am
post #4 of 16

Is that the same thing as Sweetex?

Aimee A

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 17 Apr 2005 , 12:58am
post #5 of 16

Yes

AimeeA Posted 17 Apr 2005 , 1:10am
post #6 of 16

Thank you so much.

Aimee A

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 17 Apr 2005 , 2:16am
post #7 of 16

I think dawn is talking about chef's warehouse.

here is the link:

http://www.chefswarehouse.com/Catalog/DisplayDetail.aspx?prd_id=GS235

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 17 Apr 2005 , 5:05am
post #8 of 16

Yes! Thanks!!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 17 Apr 2005 , 6:06am
post #9 of 16

Would the cake supply stores be likely to sell smaller quantities of the Sweetex? Looks like the price for 50 lbs is not too bad, but that is an awful lot of any product (with the possible exception of powdered sugar) for a home-baker, like me, to use before it would go bad. Janice

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 17 Apr 2005 , 2:44pm
post #10 of 16

Yes, most do. It may jump way up in price, though. My cake supply stores sells it for $3.99 a pound. But it's less than $1.59 a pound when I buy the 50# box. I can buy it locally for $79.95.

The first time I tried it, though I bought the one pound size to make sure I liked it. I've haven't used Crisco since. Not even to use up the can I had. It just sat there and went bad.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 17 Apr 2005 , 3:03pm
post #11 of 16

Food Service Direct has always been great to order from..however, they have a "3 Item Minimum" on food items. You might consider the baking chocolate and/or dream whip products that they sell!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 17 Apr 2005 , 3:10pm
post #12 of 16

Good Morning, Dawn, thanks for the information on Sweetex. Next time I go to the cake supply store I'll see about getting a small amount, maybe later some of us in this area could get together and order some. Janice

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 17 Apr 2005 , 9:34pm
post #13 of 16

ladycakes and I often split a case. It's a good this to do.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 7:51am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4dawn

ladycakes and I often split a case. It's a good this to do.

wish I could be close enough to share with my CC friends.... Tanyacakes, stuttgartkim are the closest, but still pretty pretty far from me.. icon_cry.gif

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 12:27pm
post #15 of 16

ladycakes is 3 hours and there's someone here in Fontana, I can't remember who) that is just over an an hour and a few in San Diego that are 2 hours away. I don't consider that far to get together every few months or so. I drive through Fontana at least once a week!

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 5:24pm
post #16 of 16

I forgot to add....

with one vehicle and being uneasy about driving on the autobahn..... the limit is like 75 plus here..... and these people are real scary!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%