Nightmare Cake !!!! Soggy By Sunday?

Decorating By cocorum21 Updated 24 Mar 2007 , 1:10pm by LeeAnn

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 4:29am
post #1 of 11

I just filled my cake with strawberry filling I did a simple syrup but I just think by Sunday it will be soggy?

OK now to the horror I made a 14inch square cake I tried to torte it with the stupd lg wilton cake leveler and it botched my cake. It's just so uneven right now I have to load the buttercream on top just to make a go of it. But now I don't know if the cake will be soggy or not by sunday and I am thinking maybe I should start baking right now.

OK soggy or not?

10 replies
alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 4:39am
post #2 of 11

If it's for you it's o.k. If it's for a costumer. Nope. Try again.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 4:39am
post #3 of 11

Depends on how much you put on it. Did you soak it? If you did then it may be soggy. If you didn't over do it I think it will just keep the cake moist.

Buttercream has covered many lopsided cakes for me. icon_smile.gif

cocorum21 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 4:51am
post #4 of 11

Great, it's for a baby shower! I'll have to start baking.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 5:43am
post #5 of 11

I agree with Joanne, especially if it's a scratch cake - it won't be soggy it'll just be moist.

And b/c really does work wonders for lopsided cakes - you should have seen last years 3d Easter Lamb tapedshut.gif

cocorum21 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 5:47am
post #6 of 11

Well I got a cake in the oven now. I figured I would rather be safe than sorry. I have been looking forward to this cake for a while, it's for my very best friend's shower and I wanted it to be really nice. I thought I could get a jump start by frosting today because tomorrow I have to go and set up the house the shower is in and I will be up tomorrow night decorating. This is going to be a long weekend.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 11:15am
post #7 of 11

just my 2 cents worth..but everytime I use my large wilton cutter I have had to actually go back over with my small wire one. The large one doesn't level right, but sometimes it is hard to start the wire one. so I start with the large and end with the wire lol. Makes no sense right? lol

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 11:33am
post #8 of 11

As far as I am concerned anything WILTON is out for me .The leveller is a waste of time. Try baking a bit more so it rises abobe the tine and then when cooled plce bake in the tin or on a book in the tin and level with a bread knife leaning the knife on the edges of the tin a bit tricky with the middle but this way it is not crooked!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 12:02pm
post #9 of 11

Take LeeAnn's advice WOW her cakes are awesome and I bet they are as level as you can get them.....about how much do you fill the pan to get it to rise that much LeeAnn? TIA

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 1:01pm
post #10 of 11

I have a small Wilton leveler, an I've never had a problem with it. it works beautifully. I use it to level and torte my cakes.

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 1:10pm
post #11 of 11

Yes the small one is fine but the larger one is so flexible that it bends!!!I fill over 3/4.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%