New At This! Need Help!

Decorating By reebok Updated 25 Mar 2007 , 2:34am by reebok

reebok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reebok Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:54am
post #1 of 7

Okay I'm new to this site and would love some ideas for my next big endeavor! I always make a special 3-D cake for my son every birthday. So far, it's gone well----train, firetruck, but this year he wants a backhoe! how am I supposed to make this huge arm w/bucket thingie? I was also going to try to attempt fondant for the first time this year. I would appreciate any advice thanks!

6 replies
sassijen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassijen Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 4:30am
post #2 of 7

welcome to CC. I know you will love your time on here, everyone is so helpful and supporting. as for your question I'm not sure, you could try searching it in the gallery if you find a cake you like you can PM the maker and ask if they can help you with directions. Maybe someone else has some advice for you. Sorry not much help.

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 5:30am
post #3 of 7

Ohh Doug had a really cool layout for something similar on a recent post. Hopefully he sees this! Jen

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 5:45am
post #4 of 7

Found the post I was thinking of, but it was for a steamroller. Gonna link it incase it gives you some ideas....

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-138041-.html

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 9:50am
post #5 of 7

I did a bulldozer cake a few years ago for my Dad. The body and blade were cake, but the arms that join the two I made from cardboard folded to the right shape, then covered in BC. I just poked the ends into the icing. Being cardboard it was light enough to stay there. You could make a backhoe in the same manner. (the bucket would have to be sitting on the ground)

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 7

ok...adapting the steam roller ---

same back end and cab.

add front end block (match to back end)

and those spindly legs the front wheels are on. (these machines then to be rear end heave -- hhmmmm just like some of us who "sample" too much of our own cakes -- so they don't tip forward while digging.

arm is two pieces if you want it movable or just one long piece made in a V shape.

bucket is 4 pieces -- the curved back -- form on a tomato paste or similar can or small flower former and two "D" shaped piece for each side and then the little thing that attaches it to the arm.

don't forget to cut the "teeth" into the bottom end of the bucket and remember it attaches like a hand palm down w/ teeth as fingers.

-----

do a google search for images -- three major variations of a backhoe -- one is front loader (big bucket in front) type tractor w/ backhoe at back -- it would reverse the placement of wheels and fat part.

second is backhoe that is like the one I've drawn and has additional out riggers I didn't draw in.

third is the monster backhoes that ride on tank type treads and are as big as and even bigger than a tank -- some are true monsters. -- those have a much bigger arm that is curved on the part nearest the body and sometimes even has three pieces.

---

can do all out of fondant or gumpaste or a mix of the two.

HTH

-----

PS. WELCOME !!! Warning this site is addicting!!

Happy Cakin'!
LL
LL

reebok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reebok Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 2:34am
post #7 of 7

Thanks Doug!! Truly helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%