So Bridezilla's Friend Called

Business By didi5 Updated 31 Mar 2007 , 10:38pm by arosstx

didi5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didi5 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:38am
post #1 of 62

So bridezilla's friend called me tonight sounding sweet "Hi, this is -- do you remember me? Is it possible to schedule a second tasting since we didn't really had a good taste of the cake last time?.." I had to think for a second who this was, after all it was already a month since I gave her a quote by email and never heard from her again. My first thought was "uumm...yeah right" but instead I said I'll check my schedule first and call her back. I'm the type of person that even though I know what the answer is, I still have to think things through. My first thought was maybe they are going to play a prank or waste my time. But then the other part of me is trying to rationalize that maybe I should give her a benefit of a doubt. Maybe she's desperate now that the wedding is just less than 2 months and maybe after they had shopped around, they realized that they had good deal. But then again, maybe they are just fooling around. Why am I even thinking of this?! argh! This should be a no brainer right?

Here's a little background of what I'm talking about http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-137111.html

61 replies
klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:42am
post #2 of 62

if it walks like a bridezilla, and talks like a bridezilla and is demanding like a bridezilla - this she is probably a bridezilla - run far and fast!

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:45am
post #3 of 62

Ugh. I remember the first thread. I don't remember why she would say they didn't get a good taste of the cake the first time 'round, though? Didn't they say it was good? I'd charge her for a second tasting. (if you don't normally)

Be prepared with your prices, and stay firm. These two seem awfully flaky. If you end up doing the cake, make sure you have every penny in your hand before you fire up that oven.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:48am
post #4 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxdesserts

if it walks like a bridezilla, and talks like a bridezilla and is demanding like a bridezilla - this she is probably a bridezilla - run far and fast!

I couldn't agree more...you don't need the hassle! icon_confused.gif
JMHO...

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:49am
post #5 of 62

ugh! I remember that first thread as well. Thought OMG.
Do what your gut tells you to. It's usually right.
Good Luck

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:49am
post #6 of 62

Uh uh, don't do it. It'll only mean frustration dealing with those two. You know it!!!!!

heychele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heychele Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:52am
post #7 of 62

R-U-N and don't look back! I haven't been doing cakes long but in the short experience I have had if they're giving you trouble before you even start baking it will only get worse. Been there done that and than I'm the one who can't sleep and worry myself crazy, while people like this I don't think it ever crosses their mind again!

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:54am
post #8 of 62

Not worth it. They have been nothing but disrespectful to you. She is even starting off this new adventure being a pain wanting another tasting.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:55am
post #9 of 62

Run screaming in the opposite direction!

However, if you do have a second tasting with this client, definitely charge for it. I allow a free tasting the first time...AND send the leftover 6" (1 layer) cakes home so that groom-to-be and others may sample.

If they ask for a second tasting, I charge $25.00 for it.

Hope that helps--Pam

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 4:01am
post #10 of 62

In your first post Bridezilla herself said the cake was good. Just a problem with the price. Talking about 2 for one, sorry I missed the point there, were you going to get 2 orders in the end? It not I think she is delusional.
Bridezilla's friend did not get a good taste? Too bad. I think like in the other tread they want to keep the wedding cost down and figure that you are an easy mark. IMHO you should be busy that day and she should go to the baker who is or was making the cake for 200 people for less. Or Maybe that baker told her it would be more than yours!
Hope it all turns out. Good Luck.

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 4:01am
post #11 of 62

Well I admit I didn't read the whole other thread, I got the gist with your OP and pretty sure I know just what those other 15 pages contained.

Personally - I am by no means interested in turning away business, but I am equally disinterested in working with a bridezilla (let alone - TWO). I would politely thank her for her interest but the date she was looking for has been booked by another client. Sure it might be a white lie but I think you'll regret allowing this relationship to continue. Some jobs just aren't worth it.

On the other hand, if you truly want to be fair, tell her she can meet you when you are doing another tasting (if you are). That way you're not going out of your way to produce more samples, and you can let her get the message that things will be done more on your terms than hers. Sometimes these bridezillas get an overblown sense of control and it snowballs. If you can check it, they can often turn into pussycats.

That being said, I am interested to hear what you decide to do and how it turns out!

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 6:37am
post #12 of 62

oh my lord, I just read the other thread.
DIDI RUUUUUUNNNNNN!!! Tell her no way and don't come back!
Oh the rudeness of her friend shows what character she also would have!
Quote:
Hello Darlene

Thanks for writting back to me. I think you are being unreasonable and
you
just lost my business. For someone who works part time you do charge
way
too much.

I am stunned that a customer would be that rude! I think you were polite and truthful in your email and she just started insulting..

STAY WELL away from them!!

CakeLadyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeLadyM Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 6:57am
post #13 of 62

"Hello Darlene

Thanks for writting back to me. I think you are being unreasonable and
you
just lost my business. For someone who works part time you do charge
way
too much."

MY RESPONSE?

"Ummm....Yeah. Well, since I was so UNREASONABLE the first time, I'm now BOOKED for that week.....GOODBYE!!!" <-----(add a few of your favorite expletives in there for good measure, too!)

She gave you a year's worth of grief the first time, and a few gray hairs to boot! icon_mad.gif

And now tell me exactly WHY it was again that you need to think about this? icon_lol.gif

-M-

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 7:18am
post #14 of 62

Run, Forrest.......Run!!!!!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 7:26am
post #15 of 62

Synopsis -

Tasting - she loved the cake - lated the price.

Requested second tasting.

Got mad because you refused second tasting.

Conclusion - because you do this part time, that means you're only supposed to charge part price?

Are you sure they're not related? Sounds like a genetic problem to me.

Follow-up question -

Is it just home bakers (licensed or unlicensed) that go through this price negotiation nonsense, or do shop owners go through this, also?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

onetaahine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onetaahine Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 8:28am
post #16 of 62

I'm with DelightsByE on this one... heck noooooooooo would I ever work with anyone that thinks my time and talent isn't worth the price... and on top of that... they're insulting. I don't think you gave a high enough price for either one of those Bridezillas. Pure MONSTERS! icon_evil.gif

Your first instinct on the fuming icon_mad.gif part was dead on.

Don't sell your time, talent, or yourself short! icon_wink.gif

... the nerve of that girl to ask for a 2nd testing......... thumbsdown.gificon_confused.gif

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 9:38am
post #17 of 62

oh my goodness my eyes hurt just from reading the other post! but if you reread it then I am sure you know what to do !!!!! its no brainer.........dont do it! unless you charge double what you quoted even like that I have made mini cakes.....and would bever commit to 70 for less than 1000.00

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 12:11pm
post #18 of 62

OT
lastingmoments, I just looked at your gallery, you have some really great cakes. icon_smile.gif

didi5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didi5 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 2:16pm
post #19 of 62

Just want to clarify that the person who called was the friend who just showed up in the consult, not the bride that wanted seventy mini cakes for $250. This friend is getting married in May and we were also emailing back and forth. When I finally gave her a price quote, I never heard from her again. Originally she wanted a three layer cake set on top of six other satellite cakes but she wants to serve only 75 people which was impossible with that design . WHen we talked last night, she now wants a much simpler fondant cake. Now I'm not really sure if she's just playing me or maybe now she has realized what a deal she had.

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 2:24pm
post #20 of 62

I must be honest, I did not read the original post.

But if this is a DIFFERENT PERSON and a DIFFERENT cake order, then why not get a tasting. She is right, she didn't get a good one since she wasn't thinking of herself at the time, she was considering her friends wedding at the time.

The friend knows how much you charge so she must not have thought it was so unreasonable. I have plenty of crazy friends I roll my eyes at, but that doesn't mean that I am crazy.

I'd do the cake tasting and be prepared for a bridezilla. It is possible she is not. She did come back even after her friends "bad" experience with you, so she must realize how crazy her friend is. Quote her a reasonable price and don't feel bad if she doesn't like the price, then you aren't her baker. I would arrange the tasting with a couple of base prices up front.

1) Charge for the tasting, but give her a coupon of equal value toward the cake so if she books the tasting if free (I've seen other people say they do that)
2) Dear xxx, I would be happy to schedule a personal tasting for you. How does day x at time y work out? Since I am a part time baker I don't have the economies of scale that larger bakeries have and so I charge $25 for a tasting, but I will happily credit that $25 to your bill if you end up booking with me. What types of cake were you thinking about so I can prepare 2 cake and 2 flavor combos for you to sample. Just for reference my basic 8,10,12 round cake goes for $225 and goes up from there depending on the cake pan, filling flavor, difficulty of design etc... Please be advised that I will need 24 hours to prepare a quote on the cake once you have decided what you would like since I need to take all of the different variables into consideration.
Have a lovely day

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 2:36pm
post #21 of 62

Well if it's the friend this time I'd work with her so far as the tasting and see exactly what she has in mind. She's just another potential client at this point. I'd be firm about my prices etc and see how it goes. She must have thought well of you if she's come back in spite of how her friend acted. I'd have to really gather my nerve to even contact you if my freind had acted that way.

crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 2:48pm
post #22 of 62

I remember this post. I would tell her that that you are booked for that date now. Mention something about since your prices are so reasonable you book up very quickly since he kept wanted to haggle on the price. If she quoted another place would do it for $100 less tell her to go there.

glory2god Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glory2god Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 2:58pm
post #23 of 62

am i missing something?? i didn't go back and re-read the post but if its the one i remember i thought the friend already had someone that was going to do her cake and that person was "much cheaper".

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 2:58pm
post #24 of 62

Pffft. I would tell her I don't do "second tastings" but she is welcome to place a cake order in any flavor she likes, for a minimum order amount of $40.00.

That's assuming you even want to deal with her, which I wouldn't. Both of those girls were trouble. In fact, I almost wonder if they're playing with you now. Second tasting? She didn't get a "good taste"? um, WHAT?

Irishprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irishprincess Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:14pm
post #25 of 62

OMG!!! Who do they think they are? I'm assuming that "the friend" is back because her bluff about a "much cheaper" cake was called. Awwwwww! Potential client or no, I'd save myself a lot of aggravation and tell you have already booked that date since she never replied to your emails regarding the prices quoted. DO NOT sell yourself short.

MustloveDogs Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 9:47pm
post #26 of 62

Sorry, I obviously confused some when I cut and pasted the quote from the other thread in here...it's just that if that is the way her friend is and they both were very pushy and unrealistic, I fail to see how she has changed now.
Personally to ask for a SECOND tasting, I think is a bit rude of this friend.
What was wrong with her tastebuds the first time? Were they on holiday?
I mean she put cake in her mouth, chewed and swallowed didn't she? How much different does she really expect this tasting to be?
I think she is trying to suck up to you without her friend and start over, but I don't think she has had a personality change so I would still steer clear of her and refuse to have anything to do with this booking.
I give family and friends as many chances as they need, but rude customers get one chance only to be my customer, if they mess it up, they can go elsewhere, it's not worth the agony.

If you are a kinder person than I (which is very likely! icon_lol.gif) and you feel you are happy with her, then follow your heart!
icon_smile.gif

babynewyear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babynewyear Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 11:33pm
post #27 of 62

Is she asking for a taste of another flavor combination that you carry?

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 4:45am
post #28 of 62

good grief, after all that disrespect i can't believe you'd even consider it.

as far as a SECOND tasting goes....why can't the cheapo just order a little cake...and buy it.

people do not appreciate what they get for free.

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 4:56am
post #29 of 62

I say run for the hills.

Not to mention did you all READ that email she sent that is posted on the first thread. Goodness, this girl must have the intelligence of a chimp. Of course I am assuming that the whole email was posted and not paraphrased a bit (which I could see happening in the interest of space). This (presumably) young lady 1. Does not know how to present and argument and 2. can barely put together a complete sentence. As I said above, run far and fast, its just not worth it.

Just a thought
~alicia

MustloveDogs Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 5:03am
post #30 of 62

Alicia, it was the bridezilla who sent the rude email, and now this is bridezilla's friend who wants a cake tasting.
Both girls came along for the first tasting and both rejected the cakes due to the price and now the friend is back wanting a second tasting because she "didn't get a good taste of the cake the first time" HELLO?
Neither of them seem well endowed in the common sense or courtesy area of life and I think she is showing to be as much of a bridezilla the first one because she already wants a second free tasting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%