Question About Fondant

Decorating By all_about_desserts Updated 10 Mar 2006 , 7:24pm by Lindascakes

all_about_desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all_about_desserts Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 12:04am
post #1 of 23

This may be dumb question but i bought some fondant today and i was just wondering how long it stays good for. I'd appreciate any comments or help you could give.

22 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 12:17am
post #2 of 23

I'm not sure how long it lasts but I know it lasts longer once you open it if you wrap it really well in plastic wrap and then I put it in a baggie.

Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 2:03am
post #3 of 23

I think if it is that Wilton stuff it lasts up to a month in a tightly seales container...

Lindascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindascakes Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 23

Dose anyone know of a good reciept for fondant. I recenly made 5 batches and covered a three tier bridal shower cake, however I found the icing to be difficult to use. It was dry and cracked around the edges, I could not roll it as thin as I would have like to because it would tear. I am also having a hard time with the bottom of round cakes. I end up with one area of wrinkles, if I stretch it, it tears?

I need some serious fondant training!!! icon_smile.gif

I love the look, but it is hard to use!

Thanks,
Linda

CakeBakingGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBakingGurl Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 23

BUMP! I have only worked with fondant once and it was before I was even able to do any sort of decorating it was a spur of the moment thing! I am going to try making MMF today! I'll let you know how that turns out!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 23

MMF..........it works great, nice and smooth, easy as can be to make, lasts almost forever if you seal it tightly and tastes waaaaaaaaayy better than wilton's

Lindascakes Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 23

What is MMF fondant? LC

We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give.

cevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cevans Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 5:19pm
post #8 of 23

I used the MMF recipe from this site for the first time yesterday. Was really easy to make (I haven't used any other type). I did just like the recipe said and it turned out fine.

Lindascakes Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 5:35pm
post #9 of 23

I am new at this forum, I am not sure how to find this forum area. I have found it by the notification from my outlook email. I am going to try attaching a photo of the cake I did this weekend, thank the Lord for decorations that can cover up the flaws.

I will look for the MMF receipt on this site. Thanks

Linda

Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 5:35pm
post #10 of 23

MMF all the way

dodibug Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 6:09pm
post #11 of 23

Hi Linda and welcome to CC! Here is a link to a recipe and use of marshmallow fondant. I haven't made it yet but lots of people here love it!

http://www.cakecentral.com/article47-How-to-Make-and-Decorate-with-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.html

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 6:46pm
post #12 of 23

I too just made the MM fondant yesterday and it was very easy to make, tastes pretty good. I've wrapped it up very well and hope to use it on a cake this week. I'll let you know how it goes.

Best,
Theresa

kaurislapsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaurislapsi Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 7:04pm
post #13 of 23

I made my first mmf last weekend. And it was black. Boy that was a lot of work kneading the colour in...ugh...but it was great to work with. (it's in my pictures that xbox cake)

Jenni

dodibug Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 7:55pm
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaurislapsi

Boy that was a lot of work kneading the colour in

I have read from others it is much easier to add the color in while the marshmallows are liquid.

Lindascakes Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 3:16am
post #15 of 23

Thank you to all of you, the support is appriciated. I love this website it has been very helpful. It is very big!

Bake on!
Linda

NightIcer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NightIcer Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 5:56am
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindascakes

I am new at this forum, I am not sure how to find this forum area. I have found it by the notification from my outlook email. I am going to try attaching a photo of the cake I did this weekend, thank the Lord for decorations that can cover up the flaws.

I will look for the MMF receipt on this site. Thanks

Linda

To find this forum again, just look at the top of any of the pages you are viewing. The big word "Forums" is located in the big white space; just under the 'tabs'. (Shop, Home, Recipes, Forums, Events, Articles, and etc.) There is text printed in a wine color which reads Calendar :: Ranks :: Forum :: and etc........... Click on the words "Watched Topics". It will take you to another page, where all the topics you have posted messages on are listed ... under heading 'Watched Topics'. Just put your cursor over the name of the forum, or go to pg. 1, or 2. That will take you to the page with the subject matter that you have been using. When you want to not go there anymore, just click on 'Stop Watching this Topic'. I think I'm telling you right. That's how I've been getting back into the pages I've been interesting, anyway.

If I'm not telling Lindascakes correctly, how to do this ... please 'someone' give her the correct directions.

HTH (Hope This Helps) icon_biggrin.gif

kaurislapsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaurislapsi Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 5:56pm
post #17 of 23

dodibug: I put some black in while the MM's were melted and added some chocopowder, but it wasn't black enough when I started to use it... That's why I added more black. Thanks for the tip still...next time I but way to more.... icon_wink.gif

Jenni

kaurislapsi=capricornchild (in english)

Lindascakes Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 9:25pm
post #18 of 23

Thank you NightIcer! I've got it now, that was much easier!

I also tryed the MMF, it is fantastic! I made a Mickey Mouse head and layed it on a 1/4 sheet. Pretty cute, and very easy. I like the MMF it isn't dry and you can roll it thin. I wish I would have used it last weekend on a large three tier. Oh well next time. I am looking forward to a next time! icon_smile.gif

Thank you all very much! I tryed to attach a photo but it is to big? To many Pixils?

LC

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 3:01am
post #19 of 23

Tonite at class was my first exposure to fondant (Wilton, boxed). It does taste a little nasty, but my question is, can it be mixed half and half with marshmallow fondant to make it taste better, but also keep the "structure" and pliability of the pre-made fondant?

deb

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 3:08am
post #20 of 23

I've mixed the Wilton fondant and MMF. I had some Wilton left over and didn't want it to go to waste. It works just fine. It does help the taste a bit by making it a little sweeter, but it still has that "Wilton" flavor.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 1:56pm
post #21 of 23

While we are on the subject of fondant, I just made my first fondant rose - not too bad for a first time. Was wodering if there is a website somewhere that gives instructions on making other flowers besides roses in fondant? Thanks!

deb

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 5:53pm
post #22 of 23

I haven't found a site that will show you how to do fondant flowers,...yet. But Wilton shows techiniques on BC and royal icing flowers. Maybe you could work from that.
http://www.wilton.com/decorating/basic/index.cfm

Lindascakes Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 7:24pm
post #23 of 23

Ok, when I used the fondant for Mickey Mouse, it was easy cutting out the small shapes and placing it on the cake, but rolling out a large piece and covering the cake is wearing me out! I have tried just about everything I know. Is there an easy way to do cover the cake with fondant? Ive heard of poured fondant, has anyone tryed it?

I can not get my sides smooth, I end up with wrinkles on the bottom of one side. So far I have been able to cover up the wrinkles with decoritive stuff but how do you guys do it. I have visited the gallery and the cakes are fantastic! Help! I will try anything!

LC

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%