Calling All Those Who Use 1/2 Crisco, 1/2 Butter Icing!!!

Decorating By toddsgirl Updated 7 Mar 2006 , 6:33am by spoiledtoodef

toddsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toddsgirl Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 22

How do you smooth? I know this is the eternal quesion but I am really getting frustrated. Here is the exact recipe that I use.

1 cup crisco
1 cup butter
2 lbs. powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 tablespoons milk
thin with about 1 1/2 tablespoons of water to ice

I have been using the hot spatula method and it works fairly well. I put the icing on with the icer tip. I seem to have a hard time with the top edge. I can get it fairly smooth but not always a straight edge. it looks like the cake is uneven when it is not. I have also used the Viva paper towel thing. Anyone have any other suggestions or different recipes (That still contain butter, I donn't care for all crisco) that work better? Thanks so much.

21 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 22

I use this same recipe. I use the icing tip to get a even layer on it. Smooth out those lines from the icer tip with a spatula -not perfect you can still see where I lifted up my spatula. I then let it sit for about 10-15 mins.

(learned this awesome trick from my Wilton 1 teacher) Then you use the small wooden fondant roller Wilton sells and roll it around the sides and across the top of the cake. If it is a larger cake you want to lay some parchment paper on the top so that you don't get marks from the edge of your roller.

Hope this helps, if you need more explination let me know.

Leily

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 22

I do both the hot spatula method (I don't let it touch the icing wet, though...I dry it wiht a paper towel first). THen after that, I go back with a Viva paper towel and a fondant smoother, after it's crusted over, and then buff it out. It seems to work very well.

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 12:26am
post #4 of 22

I use the fondant smoother and viva paper towel method also. Your bcf is the same recipe that I use. What is an icing tip?

Kellie1583 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellie1583 Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 12:43am
post #5 of 22

The icing tip is the tip that looks like a really big basket weave tip. I can't remember the number, but you have to use a big bag...it doesn't fit a coupler.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 1:04am
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddsgirl

How do you smooth? I know this is the eternal quesion but I am really getting frustrated. Here is the exact recipe that I use.

1 cup crisco
1 cup butter
2 lbs. powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 tablespoons milk
thin with about 1 1/2 tablespoons of water to ice

I have been using the hot spatula method and it works fairly well. I put the icing on with the icer tip. I seem to have a hard time with the top edge. I can get it fairly smooth but not always a straight edge. it looks like the cake is uneven when it is not. I have also used the Viva paper towel thing. Anyone have any other suggestions or different recipes (That still contain butter, I donn't care for all crisco) that work better? Thanks so much.

You are probably pulling the icing to one side when moving the spatula. Resulting in the built up, un-even look.

Try the upside down method And See if that works for you. Look in the articles on this site for a tutorial.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 1:09am
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellie1583

The icing tip is the tip that looks like a really big basket weave tip. I can't remember the number, but you have to use a big bag...it doesn't fit a coupler.

Wilton's tip #789.

Use it with a 16 inch bag that has been cut to accommodate the tip.

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 1:10am
post #8 of 22

My recipe is almost the same and I do the paper towel method with sheet cakes and usually the spatula method with smaller cakes. I can't get the sheetcake even with a spatula... just too wide a space and I can always see where I've stopped and started again. icon_rolleyes.gif

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 5:13am
post #9 of 22

I use the same recipe, but I have learned to only use the lowest setting on my KA to mix it...avoiding air bubbles. Furthermore, in the last few minutes, I also add a squirt or two of light corn syrup. The icing is very smooth at this point.

I use a hot spatula that I shake the excess water from. I don't completely dry it. The edges need a little more attention, but I take my time and am happy with the results.

poochynooch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poochynooch Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 5:41am
post #10 of 22

After trying the hot spatula method with okay results, I switched to parchment paper. Let the icing crust a bit -- place parchment paper on area of the cake and gently smooth your hand over the paper (fondant smoother may work as well). This is the only method I use now. thumbs_up.gif

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 6:25am
post #11 of 22

As noted earlier, it sounds like you're putting too much pressure on the knife as you pull to one side. You have to make sure that it's even. I always pull the knife to one side of the cake and then immediately go back the other way with the other edge of the knife. This seems to start things going together smoothly. Then, as you start to get all of the icing on, make sure that you pull up on the knife as you get to the end of a spread. After that, I always use hot water. The Viva method never worked for me.

I hope what I said above makes sense -- boy, this is just one of those things that you really have to see and practice with!

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

katleg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katleg Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 6:29am
post #12 of 22

i put the icing on evenly with a big tip...so it goes on evenly..spread it with a spatula..then put it in the fridge for 10 min or so..

then i use the upside down technique for the top of the cake..there is an article on this site that i go by..make sure you put alot of icing on the top and that it is laying on something flat..

and i have a drywall plastering tool i use for the sides...it's from home depot.. it has a handle and half circle metal blade.. its in the picture of that article..

this really works for me...with most icings... maybe it will help?

spoiledtoodef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spoiledtoodef Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 6:52am
post #13 of 22

Hello Toddsgirl,

I use the same recipe as you do however here is what I do and you can look at my photos I can get it pretty smooth.

Ok, first I cream together the butter and shortening until smooth. I use my KA and it is on about 5-6. Then I turn it on 2 and add one box of sugar. Turn it back to 5-6 until smooth. Then I turn low again and add the other box of sugar. Now it will look really clumpy and thick at this time I add milk. Then turn it back up to 5-6 continue to add a little milk at a time until you get the mixture moving good. Then add light Karo syrup. I would say about 2 T. at a time. I just add until I the right texture. This will give it a light and airy like feel to the icing. Scrape the sides and then I let it run for about 5-7 mins on 5/6 speed on the KA. It will really be easy to spread and look like whipped icing. It will crust really well. Then after it crust over then take your Viva towel and work your magic. I use my hands because the warmth of your hands help smooth it over also. That is all I use to get a smooth finish. Hope this helps....Kim

ShelbysYummys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelbysYummys Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 7:32am
post #14 of 22

have you tried parchment to smooth your icing.
You gotta try this method it ROCKS!

http://cakecentral.com/article6-Upside-Down-Icing-Technique-for-Perfectly-Smooth-Icing.html

toddsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toddsgirl Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 3:49pm
post #15 of 22

Thank all of you so much for the info.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 3:53pm
post #16 of 22

I use the half-butter/half-shortening icing all the time, and I simply spritz the cake with water from a fine misting bottle, and smooth. It takes all of about 1 minute.

I've tried the hot spatula, the Viva paper towel trick, parchment paper, fondant smoother, etc and yet I always go back to the spritzed water method because it's super-simple and quick.

I've taught this to my Wilton students for the past 8 years too. icon_biggrin.gif

mtdk454 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mtdk454 Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 9:34pm
post #17 of 22

I agree with cake pro that the water bottle works for me as well. I too have tried the viva paper towels and the spatula methods but have come to prefer this better. It's so fast.

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 9:39pm
post #18 of 22

I also use the spackler from home depot on the sides of the cake. It works so great on a round cake! ne swoop around and its smooth!

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 11:03pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by katleg

and i have a drywall plastering tool i use for the sides...it's from home depot.. it has a handle and half circle metal blade.. its in the picture of that article..

this really works for me...with most icings... maybe it will help?

i use that too and it works awesome

spoiledtoodef Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 5:48am
post #20 of 22

Cakepro.....
Hello, I have never heard of spritzing water on the icing. Would someone please explain the process? Do you spray the icing once it has crusted? What makes this method so fast? I am always looking for something to pick up my speed in decorating. So PLEASE explain the water method......Thanks in advance, Kim

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 6:25am
post #21 of 22

Kim,

Apply your icing as usual (I do top first, then sides), and then get your top flat and your sides straight. When you're ready to do the final smoothing, use a fine misting spray bottle to lightly spritz the cake. The solid fat in the icing repels the water which allows the spatula to glide over the surface, smoothing any seams and lines. You aren't removing any icing at this point, just smoothing the icing. When you're done, let your cake sit awhile (under a fan speeds the process) and the water will evaporate and the icing will crust.

It's super-speedy and highly effective. icon_smile.gif

~ Sherri

spoiledtoodef Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 6:33am
post #22 of 22

Sherri,

Hello and thanks for the instructions. I have 3 cakes to do for this weekend I will have to try this. It sounds toooooo easy. Watch I mess it up...LOL...Thanks Kim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%