Ideas Please

Decorating By lilkimberb Updated 23 Mar 2007 , 5:01pm by lilkimberb

lilkimberb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilkimberb Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 8

My mom said that she would like me to make a cake for her to take with on a trip to see her sister. No problem. But she said she wants just a 9x13 cake with sewing notions on it. Well I have made buttons, thread, a pin cushion, fabric bolts, now I just don't know how to incorporate it into the cake. I would really like to make a basket but since they are driving a really long way the sheet cake will just travel better. So any ideas will help me!!!

Thanks

7 replies
sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 8

Maybe you could make it look like a rectangular basket? Another idea, making the cake look like something she's sewing, maybe a quilt or blanket. HTH some. Good luck!

LittleMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleMom Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:59pm
post #3 of 8

I would make the sheet cake look like a cutting mat, then plunk everything down on top of it.

Here's a pic:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000140KIC/?tag=cakecentral-20

Lalana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalana Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 8

You could make the sheet cake look like a rectangular sewing box. It holds all the sewing goodies in it. You could do the sides in basket weave. Maybe carve down a little in the top of the cake to give it higher sides and an indented middle for the stuff. Does that make sense??

Quebeccakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Quebeccakes Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 3:00pm
post #5 of 8

If you use fondant, you could make your 9 by 13 look like a quilt and put your decorations on as if someone was in the middle of making it. Maybe squares of different colors...

salsera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
salsera Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 3:04pm
post #6 of 8

I just did a search in the galleries and there are some really cute round and square cakes that you could use for inspiration on your layout.

lilkimberb Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 3:06pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone. Those are great ideas. My mind just went blank.

lilkimberb Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 5:01pm
post #8 of 8

Now one other question~it is going to be a white cake what kind of filling would work good that doesn't have to be in the fridge?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%