Bct I Do Not Understand. Please Help

Decorating By momof4grtkdz Updated 20 Apr 2005 , 10:40am by tanyascakes

momof4grtkdz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof4grtkdz Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 11

icon_confused.gif Hi, I have been reading this bct method and I tried it a little last night but I am really confused about the smoothing part.
I tried to smooth it and it just messed it all up. Are you supposed to make the frosting high? Please help, I am tryng to do this for my daightrs birthday party on sunday! icon_sad.gificon_confused.gif

Thank You
Jesika

10 replies
cgcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgcreations Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 11

I have only done 2 BCT's but I'll help as much as I can. When I smoothed my first one, it smeared. Is that what yours is doing? What I do is, after I finish I let crust for about 5 minutes, long enough for a quick break!, then I thin my leftover icing and lightly smooth it over the picture until it is covered. I'm always lifting the wax paper and looking underneath to make sure it is not smearing and is smoothing correctly.

I hope this helps. Good luck on your next one!

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 10:02pm
post #3 of 11

When I made my 1st bct, I was nevrvous about the smearing, too. So I just took my 104 rose tip and made a layer of icing on top of what I had already filled in. That way when I smoothed it, I was really only smoothing the icing I had just added. There was enough light pressure to make the bct parts fill in on any empty gaps, too. Hope this helps!!
~Tanya icon_smile.gif

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 11

You both gave great instructions!! Kudos to you!! Yes, adding that "smoothing layer" does serve three purposes, it has little to do wit the design.

1) makes your BCT thick enough to withstand flipping over.

2) fills in any odd gaps and helps to "push down and together" the first layers

3) Make the edge coloring uniform with the color of your iced cake.

You are only smoothing that layer- don;t push hard enough to affect the actual BCT.

additional hint that helps some people: Pop in freezer for about 30-60 minutes before adding that final outer layer.

momof4grtkdz Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 1:46am
post #5 of 11

icon_smile.gif Hi Everyone
Thank you so much for all your wonderful suggestions. I am going to try and see if it works.
One more question? What kind of frosting do you use? Do you make it? Do you buy it at the store? Is it wiltons?
I have wiltons but I also have the store brand.

Thank you again!

God Bless!

I'll let you know how it turns out. icon_smile.gif

Jesika

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 2:12am
post #6 of 11

NOOOOOO! Store brand does not work (you will be so sad after all of that hard work). I thought you had linked to the BCT instructions available on this site. There is a recipe connected to the BCT tutorial.

momof4grtkdz Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 2:19pm
post #7 of 11

I do have the recipe but I read somwhere else that she had used her store brand so I just thougth I would ask.
I tried it las night with the wiltons but it did not work very well, I am going to make it this morning with the recipe and hope it turns out better. Thank you for all your help again.

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 4:34pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof4grtkdz

I do have the recipe but I read somewhere else that she had used her store brand

That "she" is me... and no I don't. I use store brand fudge for the lining in the tutorial and that's it. I also make my own fudge icing to use as lining, but I may use store brand, and only of it's not too creamy like name brands.

I've always used and advocated the recipe I provide in the tutorial for the transfer fill ins. I think you'll have much better luck next time.

Let's see it when you're done. I'll bet you'll do great.

momof4grtkdz Posted 17 Apr 2005 , 8:01am
post #9 of 11

I am really sorry I guess I just read to many of these things and confused them. I just got done with it and is freezing now till morning.
I did make the recipe and it is much better.
I did not mean to upset you, if I did I am truly sorry.
I will try to post it but I don't have the equipment so I can try to use a friends.
Thank You for your confidence.
The colors are a little odd but it works so far.
God Bless!
Jesika

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 17 Apr 2005 , 2:30pm
post #10 of 11

No I'm not upset. I've had a few different posts today (between three boards) where the instructions weren't read properly (in once case they weren't read at all) and then it didn't work correctly and then I get asked questions. Guess I'm just frustrated- not your fault and no apology needed.

I can't wait to see it. I'm sure you did well. If there are little blemishes, don't fret. Post the issues and we'll walk through them. Some people do great the first time, others need a little help. So no getting upset on your part!!! We'll get it done.

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 10:40am
post #11 of 11

I am so glad that you finally did one! These things are so fantastic. I get to make a repeat of the one I posted on here. Naturally my hubby changed his mind for the umpteenth time on his promotion cake. So I have to redo the background color!!! icon_mad.gif But I enjoy doing them now. Will post the repeat when I get it done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%