Icing Isn't Smooth

Baking By dlp Updated 7 Mar 2006 , 12:52am by dlp

dlp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlp Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 1:40am
post #1 of 14

question.....i made the no fail cookie recipe...which turned out great....i'm icing them with royal icing....i outlined them with no problem....but when i did the "flooding" .....it didn't smooth out....i just assumed it would even out and it didn't....i'm wondering if i should go ahead and thin it some more......the only reason i haven't already is because i've already used more than the 3/4 cup water that the recipe called for because it just seemed too thick......or is there something else i should do....i'm making these for my son in law who is in the Air Force stationed overseas.....so i'd like for them to look nice.....thanks......Donna usaribbon.gifusaribbon.gif

13 replies
ShelbysYummys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelbysYummys Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 2:07am
post #2 of 14

did you use anything to smoth them out? spatula or brush?? or just flow it expecting it to go???
M

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 2:11am
post #3 of 14

I would add a drop or two more water to thin it a but.. hth

dlp Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 2:26am
post #4 of 14

i did use the end of a knife to spread it around.......but i guess i also expected to smooth itself out a litte.... i was wrong huh!.......what do ya'll use to spread it with.......and i will also thin it just a litte more....what consistency should it be?

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 2:27am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlp

question.....i made the no fail cookie recipe...which turned out great....i'm icing them with royal icing....i outlined them with no problem....but when i did the "flooding" .....it didn't smooth out....i just assumed it would even out and it didn't....i'm wondering if i should go ahead and thin it some more......the only reason i haven't already is because i've already used more than the 3/4 cup water that the recipe called for because it just seemed too thick......or is there something else i should do....i'm making these for my son in law who is in the Air Force stationed overseas.....so i'd like for them to look nice.....thanks......Donna usaribbon.gifusaribbon.gif

The consistancy of royal icing for flooding should be such that if you take a drop of it and let it fall back in the the bowl with the icing it should disappear by the time you count to 10.

Try giving Antonia74 a buzz. She might be able to help you.

dlp Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 2:36am
post #6 of 14

thanks.....i'm going to try to thin it......the consistency was so good for the outline i just assumed it would work with the flooding part.....if that doesn't work i will try to get up with antonia74.........but just toooooo tired to mess with it anymore tonight....i'll start fresh tomorrow with a new batch......so i guess hubby and i will get to eat these!!!! icon_biggrin.gif Donna

southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 3:46am
post #7 of 14

I had that happen to a batch of icing I was working with. The outline icing was fine and I colored one batch red and it wouldn't flood for anything. What color was the one you were having problems with. Don't know if that had anything to do with it. Hope it works for you tomorrow.

dlp Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 12:38pm
post #8 of 14

the outline and the flooding were both done with green.....(i'm trying to make shamrocks.....) i put the icing in the frig over nite...(hope that wasn't the wrong thing to do icon_surprised.gif )....i'm going to take it out to get to room temp......i'll get some more coffee in me icon_eek.gif and later today will try again......i'm going to thin it even more......and see if that works.....if not.....back to the forum!!! icon_biggrin.gif thanks everyone..if you have any other suggestions for me let me know......i'm sure i'm being too picky......i don't think that when i send these to the guys overseas they will stop and say...."oh....that doesn't look smooth"....hehehehe......but i want them to look nice!
Donna

Cake_Princess Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 6:04pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlp

thanks.....i'm going to try to thin it......the consistency was so good for the outline i just assumed it would work with the flooding part.....if that doesn't work i will try to get up with antonia74.........but just toooooo tired to mess with it anymore tonight....i'll start fresh tomorrow with a new batch......so i guess hubby and i will get to eat these!!!! icon_biggrin.gif Donna

Outline the cookies with stiff consistancy icing.

Then flood with thinned icing.

Don't refrigerate the icing.

dlp Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 6:33pm
post #10 of 14

i've got the new batch of cookie cooked and cooling.......

i've had the icing out of the refrig since this morning.....so Cake_Princess.....since i already made that mistake.....should i do something to it before i use it??? icon_surprised.gif ...as you can tell i'm a little out of my element......thanks...Donna

Cake_Princess Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 9:54pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlp

i've got the new batch of cookie cooked and cooling.......

i've had the icing out of the refrig since this morning.....so Cake_Princess.....since i already made that mistake.....should i do something to it before i use it??? icon_surprised.gif ...as you can tell i'm a little out of my element......thanks...Donna

Just re-whip it a bit and it will be fine.

In future store it in an air-tight container in a cool dry place. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent any crusting on the surface. These littly crusties can ba a pain in the butt when piping.

dlp Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 12:54pm
post #12 of 14

ok...so i finished the cookies......i finally got the picture under my photos.....could not for some reason get it into my post (has nothing to do with my lack of computer skills icon_biggrin.gif ).....anyway.....critque's are welcomed....they might not be the prettiest things...but I tried.....if you can see what i did wrong with the icing let me know......i could very easily get hooked into making cookies.....thanks everbody for your help Donna usaribbon.gifusaribbon.gif

Cake_Princess Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 11:58pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlp

ok...so i finished the cookies......i finally got the picture under my photos.....could not for some reason get it into my post (has nothing to do with my lack of computer skills icon_biggrin.gif ).....anyway.....critque's are welcomed....they might not be the prettiest things...but I tried.....if you can see what i did wrong with the icing let me know......i could very easily get hooked into making cookies.....thanks everbody for your help Donna usaribbon.gifusaribbon.gif

Stop being so hard on yourself Donna!!! LOL..

I love them and your son will surely appreciate knowing they were made with love.

If you need any help feel free to ask.

Princess

dlp Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 12:52am
post #14 of 14

Thanks Cake_Princess for ALL your help!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif ....this site is sooooo much more than help with baking........its good for the soul too!!!!!Donna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%