Clear Contact Paper

Decorating By terabera69 Updated 4 Apr 2007 , 9:44pm by BlakesCakes

terabera69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terabera69 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 4:14am
post #1 of 8

Has anyone found out yet if Contact paper if food safe?

7 replies
crafty01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crafty01 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 6:05am
post #2 of 8

I use it all the time noones gotten sick thus far anyway.

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 10:41am
post #3 of 8

I actually called the company, contact paper is made of thin polyvinyl plastic, the same stuff that when made thicker, alot of the foods we buy off the grocery store shelves is put it. Ie: Yes.

SwampWitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwampWitch Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 4:27am
post #4 of 8

Could you tell us the number you called?

I've called two companies who make adhesive shelf paper and was told by one that "everybody uses it for cakes," and by the other "it's not meant for food but it won't hurt you."

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 4:39am
post #5 of 8

If it's shelf liner and food and such things as cups, plates, etc sit on the shelves then wouldn't it be food safe? The rim of your mug sits on the shelf before it get's filled and put to your lips. That was my thought process. Though people use it to line their underwear drawers too huh?! LOL icon_rolleyes.gificon_razz.gificon_lol.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 4:45am
post #6 of 8

I e-mailed Kittrich Corporation awhile back over this issue. I was told that clear contact paper has no dyes in it and it is safe for short term contact with food products. They advised to not allow food contact with the colored/patterned papers because there can be lead and other chemicals in the patterns. The patterns can rub off or leach off if the food is particularly acidic.

If I want to use a patterned contact paper, I cover it with a layer of the clear stuff icon_wink.gif

I use clear contact to cover boards that have porous papers on them--I put scrapbooking papers or the comics on as decoration at times. I also use an underboard on all my cakes, so the only food thing touching the decorative board is the border.

Rae

SwampWitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwampWitch Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo

If it's shelf liner and food and such things as cups, plates, etc sit on the shelves then wouldn't it be food safe? The rim of your mug sits on the shelf before it get's filled and put to your lips....

Glass, ceramics, and metal are not porous like food, so they don't absorb like food.

I couldn't get anyone to commit in word or writing that vinyl shelf paper is safe for contact with food. They simply refused. I'd be interested in a contact to get that kind of confirmation myself since I've had no success.

"Everybody does it" is not enough for me. How short is short term contact? Ten minutes? An hour? A day? That's also too vague to risk my family's safety.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 9:44pm
post #8 of 8

I went back through my own posts and I was wrong, I didn't e-mail Kittrich Corp.---I called them--back in Nov., 2006. I was told on the phone exactly what I posted above. (714) 736-1000

Sadly, I didn't get the full name, address, social security number, or a blood sample from the person I spoke with--but I do KNOW what I was told and I stand by it.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-51011-contac.html

If you don't want to use it--then DON'T icon_mad.gif

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%