Anyone Use A Convection Oven?

Decorating By ellepal Updated 8 Mar 2006 , 5:54pm by cakes47

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 13

Hi....I am on the verge of buying a convection oven, used (of course) for about 600.00. I figure that the cakes will bake more quickly and I'll be able to do more of them at one time. What are some of your experiences?
Much appreciated!!

Ellen

12 replies
KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 13

I wish I had a convection oven!!! That's all we used in culinary school. I definietly saw a difference in what I baked there when compared to what I baked at home. It bakes more even all around. Personally, I think it's a good choice!

PSLCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PSLCakeLady Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 13

Love it! Go for it. I have one at home and love the commercial ones. Just mind your temp. which you have to adjust when using convection.

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 13

Hi Ellepal: Wow..$600 is a great deal. I use a convection oven & love it! I turn the temp to 300 on mine & it works perfectly. You can bake several cakes at a time & they all bake evenly. I am constantly opening & shutting the oven door & it doesn't hurt the cakes at all.

I think you either love a convection or you don't. I'm sure there are alot of mixed reviews. I think it also depends on the kind also. I've heard problems because of the airflow that it causes a crust on the cakes, but I haven't had this problem.

Hope this helps you.

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

Just mind your temp. which you have to adjust when using convection.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. I'm pretty sure you go about 25 degrees less than you would on a regular oven. Just check the manual though, it should tell you.

BritBB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BritBB Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 13

Yes - I love mine, and go down 25 degrees below a normal oven. If I'm concerned about anything, I can use it as a normal oven also.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 5:33pm
post #7 of 13

I love my oven!! Bakes evenly, and yes, definitely go lower on the temperature.

This is the one we currently bought when we moved.

http://www.kitchenaid.com/catalog/product.jsp?src=RANGES&categoryId=115&productId=80

Good luck!!
Angie

I'm just now beginning to take advantage of doing more baking instead of cooking with it!

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 5:45pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks for all your advice!! I am considering everything; I"ll let you know what we end up doing!!

Ellen

steph95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steph95 Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 13

ellepal: I am so glad you asked that question. We will be remodeling in the next 2 years or so and I've been begging hubby for one because of baking cookies and casseroles. I never even thought about the cakes possibly baking differently. Except temp, has anyone had any consistantly unfavorable experiences with convection?

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 6:14pm
post #10 of 13

Someone told me that adding a pan of water on one of the racks can help if you're having a problem with a convection oven making your cakes 'crusty'. It's supposed to add steam, I guess, which helps keep a crust from forming and adds to the moistness of the end product. Is that true??

I'm in the market for a used commercial one, as well. I love the fact that you can bake so many things at once since they have so many racks. Can really be a time saver! thumbs_up.gif And when you're doing this as a business time=$$!! lol icon_razz.gif

Jenny_nyc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny_nyc Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 5:48pm
post #11 of 13

When I renovated my kitchen last year I bought a Viking oven with convection and I LOVE IT! My cakes and cookies turn out great -- never a problem. As the other folks mentioned, I also turn the temp down about 25 degrees.

daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 5:53pm
post #12 of 13

I have a Jenn Air electric stove/oven which has a convection feature. I used it once and didn't notice a difference in the cake (either baking time or more even baking). Is it possible that my convection feature is not as good as the commercial oven you ladies are talking about?

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 5:54pm
post #13 of 13

I've never had a problem with convection. Cakes bake quicker and even....no turning the pans!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%