Anyone Have A Great White Cake Recipe?

Baking By beccakelly Updated 23 Mar 2007 , 5:12pm by salsera

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 19

im looking for a scratch white cake recipe, does anyone have a really good one?

18 replies
mommytmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommytmk Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 19

Have you tried the "Better White Scratch Cake" Rec. from the rec. section? I like it and have gotten great reviews.

cakerunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerunner Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 19

both the white and chocolate cakes by sugarflowers in the recipe section here are FANTASTIC!!!!!!

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 19

Another vote here for a "A Better White Scratch Cake" in the recipe section. It's the only white cake recipe I use. A big favorite.

Angie

salsera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
salsera Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 19

I really like the White Velvet Cake:

WHITE VELVET CAKE by Rose Levy Beranbaum
Makes 2, 8 - or 9 x 2-inch cake layers

This cake is from "The Cake Bible" by Rose Levy Beranbaum. I recommend it to every person interested in cake baking. This is the best white cake I have ever had, and can be made in any flavor. The butter makes it a little on the "off white" side, but after you taste it, you really don't care! When people want a really great wedding cake, but they want traditional white, this is the cake I make. I have used this cake with many fillings & many buttercreams.

4 large egg whites / 135 grams
1 cup milk / 242 grams
2 1/2 tsp vanilla (or any extract flavor: almond, lemon, orange, etc.) / 9 grams
1 - 2 tablespoons lemon or orange zest (peel) or 1/8 teaspoon pure citrus oil
3 cups sifted cake flour / 300 grams
4 tsp baking powder / 19.5 grams
1 1/2 cups superfine sugar / 300 grams
3/4 tsp salt / 5 grams
12 Tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into cubes and then sit out to soften / 170 grams

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare 2, 8- or 9-inch round cake pans with bakers grease or vegetable oil spray and line the bottoms with rounds of parchment or wax paper.

In a 4 cup bowl, combine the egg whites, 1/4 cup milk, vanilla, and orange zest. Beat with a fork to combine. Set aside.

In your mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt and mix with the paddle on low speed for 30 seconds to incorporate. Add the butter cubes to the dry ingredients and the remaining 3/4 cup of milk. Mix on low until the mixture is moistened. Scrape the bowl and increase the speed to medium and beat 1 1/2 minutes. Scrape and gradually add the egg white mixture in three batches, beat 20 seconds after each addition, then scrape the bowl each time.

Pour into the prepared pans and smooth the top. Bake 30+ minutes until the top is light brown and springs back when lightly touched. The sides should not shrink back from the pan until after you remove it from the oven.

Remove cake from oven and let cool 10 minutes in the pan, then turn the cake out onto cooling racks. Cool completely and finish with your favorite frosting. You can also wrap well and freeze for up to 2 months.

beccakelly Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelas2babies

Another vote here for a "A Better White Scratch Cake" in the recipe section. It's the only white cake recipe I use. A big favorite.

Angie

i looked at this one, and it calls for 10 egg whites. i like using entire eggs, do you think 8 whole eggs would be sufficient? it doesn't have to look pristine white.

angelas2babies Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccakelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelas2babies

Angie

i looked at this one, and it calls for 10 egg whites. i like using entire eggs, do you think 8 whole eggs would be sufficient? it doesn't have to look pristine white.

It makes alot of cake. I half the recipe and get 2 eight inch cakes out of it.
I would imagine 8 whole eggs would work for that recipe. I haven't tried it, but it sounds like it will work with whole eggs.

Good luck! Let us know how it works.
Angie

mommytmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommytmk Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 19

it does make a lot of cake. i made 2 8 inch cakes and 48 cupcakes with it.

beccakelly Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 11:17pm
post #9 of 19

its actually exactly what i need! im making a 12 inch square, 2 layers. according to the chart on CC, one 12 inch sq layer takes 10 cups. so its perfect as is! which is great for me, its such a headache trying to alter recipes for odd size pans!

loveqm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loveqm Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 11:29pm
post #10 of 19

saved

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 11:36pm
post #11 of 19

ditto on the save icon_smile.gif

Daniellemhv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniellemhv Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 11:37pm
post #12 of 19

SaVed

beccakelly Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 12:00am
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveqm

saved

okay dumb, and unrelated question, what does "saved" mean? icon_confused.gif

angelas2babies Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 1:17am
post #14 of 19

They are just saving the link for future reference. icon_smile.gif
Good luck on your cake-we can't wait to hear what you think!!!

Angie

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 1:23am
post #15 of 19

I was always using Rose Levy's white velvet butter cake until I got Sylvia Weinstock's Lady Baltimore white right...so now I like both, but I switched Sylvia's to my mainstay white because it has a bit airier texture.

salsera Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 11:33am
post #16 of 19

Homecook, I'd like to try the Lady Baltimore white cake. Is the recipe posted anywhere?

scoobam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobam Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 11:52am
post #17 of 19

I also use the "better" recipe posted here.... I love it.. I had some extra flavorings to it.. it has been very consistent for me and an easy cake to make.. thumbs_up.gif

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 4:26pm
post #18 of 19

Here's the Lady Baltimore white cake from Sylvia Weinstock's book

1-1/2 sticks unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
3 cups sifted cake flour
1 TB baking powder
1/2 ts salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 ts clear or regular vanilla
6 large egg whites

Oven to 350. Butter and line two 8 x 3" pans or one 12 x 3" pan. I used two 8 x 2" squares...

1. Cream together butter and sugar at medium speed in stand mixer until light and fluffy.
2. Sift dry ingredients together and set aside.
3. Combine water, milk, and vanilla. Add to the sugar and butter mixture alternately with the flour mixture, beating until smooth after each addition.
4. In another mixing bowl, beat egg whites on high until soft peaks form. Fold the whipped egg whites into the batter, stopping as soon as mixture is incorporated.
7. Pour into pans and bake for 30-40 minutes in 8" pans, 40-50 minutes for 12" pans. The top of the cakes should be nicely browned, and a cake tester inserted in the center should come out clean.

salsera Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 5:12pm
post #19 of 19

Thanks, Homecook!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%