Williams Sonoma Cake Pan

Decorating By tdybear1978 Updated 29 Mar 2007 , 12:48pm by sweetcakesva

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 17

I just got a customer who wants me to do this cake (see below) she is bringing me the pan and instead of all the candies that are on it she wants that in buttercream. I am not really sure what to charge for this - any thoughts? And also, that front car looks like it has a spray of some kind coming out of it, any thoughts on how I can achieve this?? thanks
LL

16 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 17

No picture was attached... make sure it's small enough to attach inside the forum area (800x600 pixels)

tdybear1978 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 17

ok, there it is, sorry

tdybear1978 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 17

okay, come on - anyone??

neni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neni Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 17

I don't know what you would charge for something like that, but the "spray" coming out of it looks like a rock candy lollipop.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 17

yeppers thats what it is YUMMY my fav candy. heres another bump

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 11:35pm
post #7 of 17

you need to know how much cake fits in each one of the cars so you can calculate the amount of servings. there is the price.

tdybear1978 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 3:26am
post #8 of 17

well, the size of the pan is not much bigger than a 1/2 sheet pan which leads me to believe that the individual trains are not that large. Any suggestions on price would be greatly appreciated.

Tasty Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tasty Cakes Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 3:35am
post #9 of 17

I have seen this cake in the store. The "cars" are very small. Like 1 serving each, small. Hope she's not feeding a bunch of people!! Good luck, I'm awful at pricing.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 4:32am
post #10 of 17

Yes, those cars are very small....I saw them in the store as well, they are so cute! I would probably charge at least $5-7 per car, IF you're doing all decorations in buttercream and not candy. Candy can be really expensive, so if you're going to use candy you'll need to consider that also!

heracastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heracastle Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 4:51am
post #11 of 17

I'm not sure what to suggest for price but the 'smoke' coming out of the engine you could go to a Cracker Barrel and get the rock candy on a stick and us it.

Good luck

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 9:00pm
post #12 of 17

I have done this cake in primary BC and it was a pain because of all of the detail. Each car is = to a normal cupcake i would say. I didn't charge for this cake, the mother gave me the $30 pan instead. I have also used it to make a single locomotive for a smash cake.... pics in my gallery!

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 9:18pm
post #13 of 17

How cute!
If you need more cake the train on a sheet cake would be cute.
I'd be tempted to use a little candy for some of the details, otherwise you'll have WAY too much time involved in each cake, & it will drive the $$ way up.
Have to agree with the $5 each cake. (And I usually price on the low side!)

mom2seven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2seven Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 10:02pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by heracastle

I'm not sure what to suggest for price but the 'smoke' coming out of the engine you could go to a Cracker Barrel and get the rock candy on a stick and us it.

Good luck

Yes, Cracker Barrel has the rock candy on the stick, I was there a few nights ago I saw it.

This is a very cute cake, I'm not sure on how much to charge for it tho.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 3:29am
post #15 of 17

I've seen this pan as well, debated buying it today for my son, who loves trains.

Those cars are small, and even if you charge $5 per cake, it's $40, and I'm frankly betting that's more than $40 worth of work. I'm thinking that's a cake only done for love, if you know what I mean........

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 3:46am
post #16 of 17

If each car is the size of a cupcake that means the whole thing only serves 9. Is that the serving the customer wants? If so I would charge $5-$6 but if more servings are need I would go along with the other suggestion to put the train on a 1/2 sheet or larger. Be sure to use Cake Release to ensure each cakes comes out of the pan.

If you don't put the cars on another cake, have you thought how you wold deliver the train? Do you make a track and on what do you place the cars and track? That takes even more time so don't price this too low, it's not quite a slam dunk job!

sweetcakesva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesva Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 12:48pm
post #17 of 17

definitely rock candy
I have this pan and made it for christmas for the kids to decorate! I think I used 2 boxes of gingerbread mix for this. This is a fun project, just make sure you use a good cake release. Charge accordingly, these are small cakes but a lot of work could be ahead depending on what she wants

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%