How Would You Do This?

Decorating By karateka Updated 21 Mar 2007 , 9:29pm by klg1152

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 5

I need to cover a rice krispie treat ball (made with the Wilton ball pan) and make it look like a golf ball. I haven't decided whether I'm going to tee it up yet, depends on how good it looks all around.

I figure I could do buttercream, which seems like it could be a problem when I go to put it on the cake...might mess up my icing.

I could do fondant, but will have seams from cutting off the folds around the bottom....

Or I could do modeling chocolate. Which you can get rid of seams easily enough, but I continue to have problems working with this stuff, and I'm worried I'll end up having to start all over. Time is tight.

What do you think is best and why?

TIA!!

4 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 5

My suggestion is to cover thr rkt ball with candy melts which will smooth the surface out and then cover with fondant. I'm trying to remember when I did this if I then put a thin layer of bc before the fondant. It is suprisingly easier to cover a round shape than you think!

Good luck with it!

lynsval Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynsval Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 5

Sorry, I thought I was replying, but evidently I was starting a new topic. OOPS!

Anyway, have you ever tried mixing rolled buttercream with your fondant? It makes it much easier to mend the seams when you cut it. It's a bit softer than just plain fondant and it tastes great too!

I wouldn't start with 1/2 and 1/2 but a bit less of the rolled buttercream than fondant. I use this combo when I do purses and such that I know I'm going to have to cut seams. The seams just disappear with a rub of crisco.

Hope this helps!
Valerie

AmyKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyKakes Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 5

Have you tried using the candy clay while it is still warm and mushy? That's how I use it on RKT and it smooths out so easily. It is messy but it comes out great.

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 5

karateka, i made a bowling ball last weekend (in my gallery) just wanted to pass on a couple of things that i learned the hard way. make sure when you make the ball you don't make 2 halves and then glue them together, instead fill both halves and then press them together while still in the pan and let it set - you will need a little bit more than a whole batch of rkt - i used the 16 oz bag of mm and between 7 - 8 cups of rice krispies. i suggest you don't use buttercream - mine fell apart when i did - on the second attempt i used fondant. to cover the ball I rolled out the fondant, placed the ball on top of a narrow cup and then covered the ball - this allowed the fondant to drape, i cut off the excess and started to smooth. there were some seams but they were on the bottom and not visible when placed on the cake - hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%