Anyone Have A Good Spritz Cookie Recipe?

Baking By shellypf Updated 22 Mar 2007 , 1:09am by shellypf

shellypf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellypf Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 3:05am
post #1 of 12

I need a great spritz recipe. I have never maqde them but want to do some for my grandmothers 80th birthday luau this weekend. Thanks so much!

11 replies
shellypf Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 4:48am
post #2 of 12

bmp

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 12

Here's the only one I use. I like to change it by changing the flavorings:

1 cup margarine or butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1 Tablespoon grated orange peel
1/4 teaspoon salt

-Heat oven to 400F, In a large bowl combine margarine, powdered sugar, vanilla and egg, beat until light and fluffy.
-Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup, level off. Add flour, orange peel and salt, mix well.
-Place desired template in cookie press. Fill with dough. Press dough into ungreased cooki sheets.
-Bake at 400 F for 4 to 7 minutes or until bottoms are light golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheets.

Makes about 5 dozen cookies.

Here are my variations:
-Cinnamon: Omit orange peel, add 1 tsp cinnamon flavoring or ground cinnamon. I sprinlke the baked cookies with cinnamon sugar.
- Pecan: Omit orange peel, add 1 tsp pecan flavoring and 1/2 cup ground pecans, Use a template with big holes.
- Butter: Omit orange peel, add 1 tsp butter flavoring (even if you used butter instead of margarine)

I like this recipe because the cookies don't spread (use a cool cookie sheet), the hold the shape very well, they are delicate but not fragile, and they taste great. Using a template from wiltons cookie press I get about 100 cookies per recipe, 35 per sheet.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 12

There is an assortment of them on the Wilton website. The only one I did not like was the Peanut Butter Spritz recipe.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

julesn20716 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesn20716 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:12pm
post #6 of 12

I have a great peanut butter one that works great in a cookie press. 1 cup peanut butter, 1 egg and 1 cup of sugar. That's it! Press cookies and bake at 350 for approx 7 minutes or until golden.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:16pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks, julesn!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 12

I'll share mine. It's called my Ancient Secret Gilles Family Butter Cookie Recipe, and it was handed down from my Polish grandmother, whose own mother imigrated from Poland through Ellis Island in 1910. We don't know where it originated. It is like no other spritz or butter cookie recipe I've ever seen, simple, and SO good. I've never had a single Christmas in my life without hundreds of these. (oh, and now it's not so Secret, is it? LOL)

4 sticks of salted butter, room temp.
4 egg yolks
4-5 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cup powdered sugar

(that's really it, and in that order please)

Heat oven to 350. Blend butter and eggs, add flour, starting with 4 cups. I usually go 4-1/2 cups or until the dough is stiff and has a certain "feel" to it. Add the powdered sugar. At this point you will no longer be able to mix with a mixer or a spoon, so use your hands.

Put in a cookie press and press shapes onto ungreased sheets or parchment lined sheets. Sprinkle with whatever sugar crystals you like.

Bake 8-10 minutes or until set and barely browning at bottom edges. They are pale cookies, so don't brown them. You'll get about 85 cookies I think from a batch, or 8 dozen, can't recall.

They melt in your mouth, hold up for months in the freezer, ship across country really well, and stay fresh almost indefinitely on a plate sitting on the counter at the holidays or in a cookie jar. And I really mean indefinitely...you don't want to know how long they sit out around here at Christmas, lol...

DreamofAngels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamofAngels Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:39pm
post #9 of 12

My favorite is one by Martha Stewart that I got from her website. Takes very good and easy to make.

flowermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowermom Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:43pm
post #10 of 12

I have always had success with this one from Pampered Chef "classic spritz cookies". However it looks like I need to expand my recipes and try a few of those mentioned above!! icon_biggrin.gif I have to make up several batches for a women's event coming up, good time to try them out!

Sandi

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:50pm
post #11 of 12

I always use the pampered chef recipe.

1 vanilla cake mix
2 3/4 cups flour
4 sticks of butter

Melt 2 stick of butter in bowl. After melted, cut the other 2 sticks of butter into slices and place in melted butter. Whisk it until creamy.

Whisk cake mix and flour together and then combine with butter.

Bake as normal.

To me they taste just like shortbread.

shellypf Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 1:09am
post #12 of 12

YOU ALL RULE!!! Thanks for the help! and now for a glaze to top it off with...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%