Any Offense Taken?

Lounge By Antylucifer Updated 27 Mar 2007 , 12:12am by tcturtleshell

Antylucifer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antylucifer Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 30

Hi All,
I'm not sure if this post belongs here or should be in another area, so if you think it should be somewhere else, please point me in the right direction. I have been told by another forum that my user name is highly offensive and I should not be able to post, so I thought I should explain my name. Please know it is not meant to insult, affront, outrage, or offend anyone. It just happpened to become my nickname because of an innocent letter I received from my nephew when he was 8 years old.

My sister and her family lived in Alaska well before the internet and email, so we used to write letters to each other. One day, I received a letter from my nephew that began: Dear Anty Lucifer, my mom calls you the devil and Anty Devil isn't polite, so I called you Lucifer. It sounds better and I hope you like it. He went on to say his mom must have missed a few Sunday School's, especially the one where they teach you to be nice to everyone an not call them names.

I thought it was the funniest letter ever and it became a family joke. My nephew, who is now 27 was utterly embarrassed when he realized what he had written, but by then the name had stuck. Anyway, I wanted to say that if it offends, annoys, or bothers anyone too much, please let me know and I will ask to have it changed, or start over with a new membership and new username. Also know that I will not be offended or my feelings won't be hurt if anyone requests I change it, I'll completely understand. I just wanted to explain it before anyone did get upset about it.
Thanks for reading,
Gail

29 replies
susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 30

omg no its not offensive to me. and i cant imagine why any one would be offended by a name. its not as if you think you are the devil.......or do you!!!! lol j/k icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 30

just wanted to add even if you did seem to think you were the devil as long as you didnt try to force us to believe you were i would still not be offended. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ok im sleep deprived and feeling very silly.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 30

Don't worry about it, this is the internet. Few of us really know one another and it is presumptuous to make a judgement without ALL the facts...just ignore any criticisms and don't feel the need to explain or defend something so trivial and innocent. I was on another forum where someone had the name of pedalphile, meaning lover of pedaling (a bike), someone didn't know the difference between his screen name and pedophile.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 30

I never would have thought twice about it. With the back story now it is pretty funny!

Why not put your nephew's quote into your signature "Dear Anty Lucifer, my mom calls you the devil and Anty Devil isn't polite, so I called you Lucifer. It sounds better and I hope you like it."

That might explain it and give people a little laugh as well each time you post?

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 5:28pm
post #6 of 30

Adding the signature quote would be pretty funny. Maybe it would help folks to understand the meaning better.

My screen name (for me) makes sense on CC but I have used it in other forums and I've worried that some might find it offensive as they don't realize it refers to cake skills. icon_lol.gif

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 5:30pm
post #7 of 30

I dont think you have to explain yourself at all....but if you want to putting it in the signature like sweetresults suggested is a good idea. I say stay with what you got and ignore the rest!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 5:46pm
post #8 of 30

That store is so cute. I thought maybe your name meant you were against satan but I wasn't gonna let it bother me.
Thanks for the info!

Antylucifer Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 6:40pm
post #9 of 30

Thank you so much for replying to my post and supporting my username. You just never know what people will think or do-especially on line where we don't know each other. I really do appreciate the advice and have put it in my signature. I'd bet you'll soon tire of seeing the name. I can't even be called a beginner yet, maybe a rookie beginner-so I'll be asking a lot of questions.
Again, Thank You

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 6:44pm
post #10 of 30

No offense taken here. I thought the story was quite adorable icon_lol.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 6:53pm
post #11 of 30

It doesn't offend me when users have God in their title name or below their post, it doesn't offend me that you have Lucifer, you little devil you. icon_biggrin.gif

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 6:57pm
post #12 of 30

Hehee, what a cute story! When I first saw your name I thought "Anti-Lucifer", but I wouldn't be offended either way!

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 7:04pm
post #13 of 30

too cute. kids say the darnest things dont they?

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 7:49pm
post #14 of 30

I thought the same as m0use!

ch0psuey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ch0psuey Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 8:02pm
post #15 of 30

That is hilarious!!

I saw your name earlier and wondered what it meant, but I wasn't offended, and I would NEVER try to tell you that you can't use it!!

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 8:33pm
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerton

I dont think you have to explain yourself at all....but if you want to putting it in the signature like sweetresults suggested is a good idea. I say stay with what you got and ignore the rest!

DITTO!
But I did love the explanation thumbs_up.gif

fiveoaksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiveoaksmom Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 8:37pm
post #17 of 30

It seems there's a lot of people that get offended easily on this board, but I don't see anything offensive about your username, OR the need to explain it in a signature line. Some people just don't have anything better to do with their time than to stir things up!

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 9:29pm
post #18 of 30

I also don't see anything wrong with your user name. It's just a name. It's not like you are actually the devil and are on this cake site to try to convert us. I got my user name Dordee, from my little sister. That's what she started calling me when she started talking. Don't have a clue as to why because my name is Charlotte. icon_confused.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 9:52pm
post #19 of 30

actually very cute --- ah the things kids create

(my mom -- real name Helen LaFern -- was always called Ant Teat -- oldest of all the cousins just couldn't say Aunt Fern)

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 1:02am
post #20 of 30

A little OT...but my husband's nickname is Squash because his sister couldn't say Josh. It's funny how people get nicknames....

And it's funny what kids say too....I'm busy decorating cookies for my first order. 9-year-old son comes by and says, "Don't worry mom. I'm sure they taste better than they look." He said it so sweetly that I know he thought he was giving me a compliment. Isn't he cute.

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 3:24am
post #21 of 30

lol.. i am so dumb..the first time i read your name i took it as

Anti - Lucifer

not Auty as in the family relationship! Wow, should I have posted that?

kayscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayscake Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 3:43am
post #22 of 30

I agree with all the others, explain what? anti- is better than pro(ha-ha), love the story by the way.

Quote:
Quote:

It doesn't offend me when users have God in their title name or below their post, it doesn't offend me that you have Lucifer, you little devil you. Very Happy

I with you !!!

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 5:38am
post #23 of 30

I love the story that goes with your screen name, but I also don't think you should have to explain yourself. I take no offense to it at all and I have to agree with ShirleyW, there are a lot of people on here that have pictures of crosses and quotes from bibles and such. If you think about it there are religions that don't believe in the cross and some of the quotes and no one's complained about that!

Welcome to CC!

Tammy

Antylucifer Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 3:06pm
post #24 of 30

Thanks to all who have commented about my user name, I am really appreciate that nobody took offense, you support individuality and have a great sense of humor. Most people think it's anti-lucifer, but in the letter from my nephew, he actually misspelled Aunty, and I thought I'd keep Anty-it's part of the charm of innocence.

Please know that no one on this board made those comments, I am truly sorry if I led anyone to think that. It happened on a home decorating board. People stirred things up so much, it became downright hostile. So when I joined this forum, I decided to explain the name up front because I didn't want to create another situation over a simple name.

On a good note, yesterday I recieved my Wilton rotating tilting turntable. I was so excited, it kept me up all night long. Today I expect the 5 Yearbooks I got on Ebay for $24.00 including shipping......looks like I'll be up for weeks!

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 3:37pm
post #25 of 30

I wasn't offended by it but now that I know the story I will probably chuckly to myself when I see your screen name lol. Thanks for sharing icon_biggrin.gif

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 4:14pm
post #26 of 30

I agreee with everyone here. Your name is not offensive, your story is downright adorable, and I wouldn't worry about anyone taking offense. And this is the perfect forum to post something like that so you posted to the right place!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 11:18pm
post #27 of 30

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Tee-totally funny...love it, love it, love it icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 12:34pm
post #28 of 30

Personally I find all the religious signatures pretty tedious so it's nice to hear a good story beind someone's name.

amwake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amwake Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 6:36pm
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarbunz

Hehee, what a cute story! When I first saw your name I thought "Anti-Lucifer", but I wouldn't be offended either way!

I thought the same thing as Sugarbunz and just thought you were religious! There is nothing offensive about the name to me but the story was well worth reading the thread. I am glad you added it to your signature line thought, every one needs a laugh sometimes!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 12:12am
post #30 of 30

I thought it was anti-lucifer too.... Glad your not a devil icon_smile.gif No worries! By the way.... Welcome to CC!!

I love the scriptures, motto's, poems, etc... at the bottom on the profiles. They make me smile & make me laugh~ icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%