(Castle Cake) What Type Of Fondant Use For Walls And Towers

Decorating By micmom Updated 21 Mar 2007 , 6:30am by micmom

micmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micmom Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 12:28pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, I'm struggling with my castle cake and would like some help on it. Could you tell me what type of fondant can I used to make a walls and covering the cardboard towers? I'm using a pre-made fondant. It's been 3 days and it's still not dry (I think it's much more stickier than the first time I made it)... help... is Pastillage the answer for this? Thanks so much...

5 replies
salsera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
salsera Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 12:40pm
post #2 of 6

Pastillage would definately be the best bet, at least for the walls. It dries pretty quickly, too.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 6

I wish I could help... I want to make one soon, so I hope someone answers you....... Is it very humid in your house..... maybe that could be a reason....

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 6

You could add some tylose to your fondant or make a 70/30 mix of gumpaste and fondant. Buy the premaid stuff to use quicker or make your own. Nicholas Lodge has a wonderful recipe for it. Your local cake supply store should have tylose.

dessertprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dessertprincess Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:33am
post #5 of 6

a coworker of mine just made towers, etc for her castle cake with pastillage. she got the idea from a Lindy Smith book. i guess there were many steps. first make tower out of pastillage. let them dry. then cover them in fondant. so it does take a while!

micmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micmom Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 6:30am
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much for all your reply. Just came back from the local cake supply store. They recommend tylose or cmc. I bought cmc cause it's available in the smaller size and cheaper icon_smile.gif Will try it out tonight and see how it goes within these few days...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%