Help! Help! - Airbrushing Gray

Decorating By karthurs Updated 21 Mar 2007 , 6:18pm by karthurs

karthurs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karthurs Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 3:42am
post #1 of 11

I am doing a cake for this Saturday. I just bought an airbrush. I cannot figure out how to get gray as a color to airbrush. I cannot find Gray food coloring.

Also, what is the best method for converting gel food colorings to sprayable color?

Speeding replies will be gratefully acknowledged.

- Katherine

10 replies
mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 4:51am
post #2 of 11

I have thinned gel colors with vodka but I haven't ran it through an airbrush.
I spray black lightly for gray.

mpc
www.mypastrychef.com

karthurs Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 11

Well it is worth a try, thank you very much!

Is the vodka an issue for alcohol taste on the frosting. This is a kid's birthday cake. Try to do a death star and darth vader.

K

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by karthurs

Well it is worth a try, thank you very much!

Is the vodka an issue for alcohol taste on the frosting. This is a kid's birthday cake. Try to do a death star and darth vader.

K

the alcohol evaps so not much taste.
I have eaten fondant pieces with vodka thinned paints and they taste fine to me. I don't drink and I hate the taste of alcohol.
mpc

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 8:46pm
post #5 of 11

o hun, don't mix your own colors for the airbrush. They are specially made and filtered so that the pigment doesn't clog up the needle. Regular food coloring gel or otherwise, is not filtered as many times as airbrush colors are. Heck, I don't even use the white airbrush color in my gun because it still clogs it up. I will use it though for hand painting on cakes but not in my gun.
I've airbrushed gray on cakes before, you can take the airbrush color and dilute it with a little bit of water. Kinda like this, fill the cup halfway with water and then add a few drops of black. That will get you the grey. you could use alcohol (everclear, vodka, clear vanilla extract, lemon extract...etc.) the same way. Just fill the cup bout half-way and then add a few drops of the color you want to dilute.

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 11

Amen on the white to CHAPTLPS...that white is just an absolute PAIN!!!!! I know when I use it to lighten a color I have to clean my airbrush at least 2-3 times in the process to keep it working. You would think that the mfg. would have corrected that by now!!!

I agree with the "no vokda taste" comments as well. I just airbrushed an entire cake last night with green luster dust mixed with vodka and it tastes fine. (Keep in mind that many people don't use luster dust in their airbrush either!!!)

-Michelle

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 8:55pm
post #7 of 11

If you look at my volcano cake, you will see that I airbrushed gray on it. Mine was a mixture of 7 parts white airbrush color with 1 part black. The white airbrush color is titanium-dioxide based, and must be shaken frequently to keep it blended.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

karthurs Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 9:18pm
post #8 of 11

Thank you everyone for the replies.

I have to deliver the cake to my friend's son's birthday at 11AM on Saturday morning. So I do not think I can get the special airbrush food colorings in time. But thanks for the tip on the filtering. I can try to mix with lemon extract (thanks for that tip too, I use lemon in my frosting, so it will blend in) and then use a filter screen I have to try to minimize the clogging.

I have never used my airbrush before. I just bought it. It isn't the most expensive one, but it is a Badger, but only single action. I am an amatuer and can't justify spending more than $100.

I will post picture when it is finished.

- K

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 10:34pm
post #9 of 11

When you're ready to invest more money in an airbrush, read the posts on airbrushes that were submitted by cigarherb. There's lots of detailed information on airbrushes, what to buy, where to get it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:04pm
post #10 of 11

I only have the Badger as well, but I think mine is dual action...not that it matters much...I paid just around $100 too and it suits me just fine. I have never had any problems with it (other than issues w/white like previously mentioned). I airbrush most of my stuff with Super Pearl- I'm addicted to the stuff!!

Have fun with it and let us know how you make out with this cake!!!!

-Michelle[/i]

karthurs Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 6:18pm
post #11 of 11

I am thinking of using some luster dust as well. I am doing a "death star with darth vader and the death star is exploding a planet" direct quote from Micheal the 5 year old. I had really wanted to do the 3D death star using the sports ball mold I have seen here, but he was very specific in his description.

The luster dust I think will add to the idea oa star system...I my just do a line or too of spray creating depth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%